Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm sitting my GCSE's this summer and all my subjects are hopefully going to be A's and A*'s. My personal challenge is to get 7A*'s and the rest A's. However I am absolutely shocking at Foreign Languages, and was wondering if uni's take the grade into account? Im thinking about applying to economics or chem engineering, to top uni's (lse, oxbridge, imperial, ucl etc.), and was wondering how they'd find a C (or maybe even a D?) grade at language? Would it matter to them considering any course I could ever take will not directly involve a language, and do they know if you retake a subject? also if anyone has, how did you find retaking a language gcse? thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure (although don't quote me on this) that UCL ask for a pass in a GCSE language for any of their courses, but it would be worth checking this in the prospectus. I would say try to put the work in for at least a C, as that's going to look much better than a fail. A B would probably be ideal though I guess. That said, if you manage the 7A*s and the As, then that should prove that you're academically capable despite the odd lower grade.

Universities can tell if you resit if you fill in UCAS correctly as you would have to enter the subject twice - a couple of my friends had to do this for biology. Much better to put the effort in this time round and get the best grade you can. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should have done some independent research before posting this thread? It only took me a few minutes to find out the relevant articles detailing the entrance requirements. All the information you require is on their website, which I have kindly quoted for you below; along with a link.

GCSE and equivalent qualifications

All programmes require GCSE or equivalent passes in English Language and Mathematics at grade C or higher. Some programmes require grades higher than C or additional GCSE passes in specified subjects, as outlined in the departmental pages in this Prospectus. For UK-based students, UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. If you are not studying a Modern Language GCSE this will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course unit in a language as part of the degree programme or through studying for a specially designed certificate.

Qualifications accepted as GCSE equivalents include the following:

* IGCSE at grade C or higher
    * O level at grade C or higher
    * Scottish Credit Standard Grade/Intermediate 2
    * Hong Kong Certificate of Education (HKCEE) at grade C or higher
    * IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) at grades 4 to 7
    * Malaysia Sijil Pelejaran (SPM) at grades 1 to 6
    * Singapore/Cambridge GCE Ordinary level at grades 1 to 6

UCL recognises that some schools, both in the UK and overseas, are introducing policies that fast track their students and limit the number of examinations that are taken. As a result, some applicants will not be sitting some GCSE or equivalent qualifications. UCL is pleased to consider such applications on their individual merits.
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...-requirements/

I think that answered your question. I would advise you to try very hard at your language GCSE in order to obtain a C grade (although aiming for an A would not do you any harm, think positively ) there are hundreds of websites available on the internet that are aimed at improving reading and writing comprehension, along with various GCSE websites with exercises that would enable you to optimize your language skills. If you have any further inquiries I would advise you to contact their admissions department, the number is given on the website. I hope I have been of some help.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you pass it (c grade) you should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. if i get a B i'll be over the moon! lets hope I can atleast get a C :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihi!!!)
    thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. if i get a B i'll be over the moon! lets hope I can atleast get a C :rolleyes:
    You're welcome.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.