Edexcel Maths (Linear):
AQA English Literature:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
i like CGP,
have a look on their website,
there very colourful and have the correct information so it is easy to revise
i prefer them to letts and all the others
bbc bitesize is also a good internet source?
Reply 2
Original post by ju1c
What are the best revision guides or methods for the subjects below:

Edexcel Maths (Linear):
AQA English Literature:

GCSE or A Level?
Reply 3
im doing GCSE and there really good :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by muffingg
GCSE or A Level?

It's obviously GCSE seeing as it's edexcel maths linear
Reply 5
Original post by muffingg
GCSE or A Level?

GCSE, seeing as i posted it in the GCSE forum.
Reply 6
Original post by ju1c
GCSE, seeing as i posted it in the GCSE forum.

In that case I suggest using CGP. They were extremely helpful for me, especially in English with the Anthology and the poems. Make sure you buy one of those containing the analysis of poems, as this will be extremely helpful. In Maths I didn't really need any, but if you like, you can buy the CGP one as well. Otherwise just use YouTube. This person (khanacademy) has got some extremely useful videos for both A Level and GCSE Maths.

I used it in my A Levels, but only because I just discovered it too late. If I had it at GCSE I think I would have done better. There is also a website called Mymaths. I personally and my class found it extremely helpful. There are some activities and you can learn everything very easily as it is also fun to do it there online (more interesting to me than using a book). Ask your school if they have registered with it or not. We managed to get our schools registered to it by telling my Maths teacher about it and because our whole Maths class signed an 'agreement' that they were going to use it.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ju1c
What are the best revision guides or methods for the subjects below:

GCSE
Edexcel Maths (Linear):
AQA English Literature:

For Maths, I suggest you get the MathsWatch CD from your school. Prices will depend according to your school; normally it's sold to students for £1-£3. Do not buy the Edexcel Linear CGP guide. It is horrible. I have that and the CD and I immediately regret purchasing the book, because it's so crap compared to the CD. I find that the book doesn't explain the topics as well as MathsWatch. Also, past papers will help you grasp exam technique and will prepare you even better. Doing questions will help, but actually doing past exam papers will significantly improve your grade.

As for English, I heard York Notes are good. However, the CGP ones aren't so bad either. After you've learnt everything, doing timed essays and asking your teacher to mark it is an excellent way of revising. Ask your teacher where and how you can improve on your essay.
Reply 8
Original post by InadequateJusticex
For Maths, I suggest you get the MathsWatch CD from your school. Prices will depend according to your school; normally it's sold to students for £1-£3. Do not buy the Edexcel Linear CGP guide. It is horrible. I have that and the CD and I immediately regret purchasing the book, because it's so crap compared to the CD. I find that the book doesn't explain the topics as well as MathsWatch. Also, past papers will help you grasp exam technique and will prepare you even better. Doing questions will help, but actually doing past exam papers will significantly improve your grade.

As for English, I heard York Notes are good. However, the CGP ones aren't so bad either. After you've learnt everything, doing timed essays and asking your teacher to mark it is an excellent way of revising. Ask your teacher where and how you can improve on your essay.

Thanks I already have mathswatch although i was wondering if there are any good revision guides for it.

Is this one any good for Maths?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Edexcel-Maths-Higher-Guide/dp/184419261X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1300665721&sr=8-6
CGP all the way! The science revision guides are literally dragging me through my GCSEs
Original post by ju1c
Thanks I already have mathswatch although i was wondering if there are any good revision guides for it.

Is this one any good for Maths?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revision-Edexcel-Maths-Higher-Guide/dp/184419261X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1300665721&sr=8-6

The CD is your revision guide :tongue: The only possible resource better than that is a teacher. Don't waste your money buying any revision guides since you have the CD anyway. (I've never had that book, so I can't really say). It's your money though, so if you want to buy it, go for it...
Tbh I think the Edexcel Maths Linear CGP book is a bit complicated :s-smilie:

The way I revise for maths is past papers, past papers... then more past papers

Quick Reply

Latest