Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you manage to sleep regularly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    While the title may sound ridiculous, I have trouble sleeping regularly. Take the week just gone, I went to bed at a different time every day for differing lengths of time. Eg, last Sunday I slept a total of 3 hours from 3am, while this Saturday I slept for 14 hours from 10pm, and everything inbetween.

While some(or a lot) of this is attributable to uni/work/bad time mangement etc. Even in my holidays I don't sleep regularly. I just don't feel tired at the same time the next day, then an endless cycle of random sleeping times and lengths occur.

It's probably bad for me,any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Lie in bed, fully dressed for ages. Keep telling yourself how uncomfortable you are wearing your clothes, and how much you want to take them off so you can sleep.

Then get nekkid (or wear something that's comfortable) and you should feel so freed that you fall asleep straight away.

EDIT: When I say fully clothed, i mean it. Tight jeans, an itchy jumper, a bowler hat. Anything that makes you feel uncomfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddlemonster)
    Lie in bed, fully dressed for ages. Keep telling yourself how uncomfortable you are wearing your clothes, and how much you want to take them off so you can sleep

Get nekkid (or wear some short shorts) and you should feel so freed that you fall asleep straight away.
    Is it wrong that I find this idea a little arousing?

OP, try coordinating the amount of food you eat with the amount of sleep you've had, that works for me. E.g. if you've slept for a long time then eat very little during the day, then you'll have less energy and find it easier to sleep again in the evening. If you balance it correctly you'll soon develop a regular sleeping pattern

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=loonyplatypus;30442482]Is it wrong that I find this idea a little arousing?[/QUOTE

I'm just waiting for the beautiful women to start saying "Oh Cuddlemonster, I'll be thinking of you and your advice while I get naked" so I'll have something to do tonight.

EDIT: women, not woman. I like to keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    Get up at the same time every morning, even at the weekends. It works! You'll soon start to feel tired around the same time every night

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping pills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    Get up at the same time every morning, even at the weekends. It works! You'll soon start to feel tired around the same time every night
    That means always waking up at the earliest time you need to that week, which for me is about 7:30. Waking up at 7:30 for a 12:00 lecture? Ffff- not happening, really. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to hear answers. Since coming to uni, I struggle to sleep at night, usually don't sleep until 6am, then only for a few hours, resulting in me taking naps throughout the day for 2 hours or as long as I can manage to sleep for, at a time. Can't be healthy for me to do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    That means always waking up at the earliest time you need to that week, which for me is about 7:30. Waking up at 7:30 for a 12:00 lecture? Ffff- not happening, really. :awesome:
    You should try it for a week or two before you knock it :banana2:

Anyway I'm off to bed I have to get up at 8:20 tomorrow :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    You should try it for a week or two before you knock it :banana2:

Anyway I'm off to bed I have to get up at 8:20 tomorrow :gah:
    *will likely be up until 4 again, bad times. :teehee:*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I'm interested to hear answers. Since coming to uni, I struggle to sleep at night, usually don't sleep until 6am, then only for a few hours, resulting in me taking naps throughout the day for 2 hours or as long as I can manage to sleep for, at a time. Can't be healthy for me to do this
    You must embrace your destiny. :sexface:

C'mon, it's way more satisfying to go to a lecture and then come home, fall on your bed and nap. (Assuming you don't oversleep it in the first place.)

ReputationRep:
    It different for every person.

I can only sleep if I have an open window blowing air on my head and neck when im in my own bed but have no trouble with this in a hostel or hotel or whatever.

Try to think of something every night, the same thing, the same scenario, you will eventually associate that thought with sleeping. I've thought of the same scenario every night for the past few years and as soon as I think about it (like now) I want to sleep. Sounds daft but it works. A similar scenario came up in a film one time and I was nearly asleep in the cinema

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddlemonster)
    I'm just waiting for the beautiful women to start saying "Oh Cuddlemonster, I'll be thinking of you and your advice while I get naked" so I'll have something to do tonight.

EDIT: women, not woman. I like to keep my options open.
    I'm sorry, your fail-quote turned me right off. You were doing well up till that point, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    You must embrace your destiny. :sexface:

C'mon, it's way more satisfying to go to a lecture and then come home, fall on your bed and nap. (Assuming you don't oversleep it in the first place.)
    Well yes, it is, but then if I miss my naps, I'm not a happy bunny! Like when I'm in uni 11am-8pm on thursdays, I'm nearly dying of sleep deprivation afterwards

ReputationRep:
    ONLY go to bed when you're tired. As in, literally can't keep your eyes open. This stops you wasting time trying to sleep and allows you to just sleep.

Secondly, get up at the same time every day. No exceptions. Find something productive to do if you haven't got stuff to do early in the morning. This way your body will get used to waking at the same time every day and thus will make you feel tired when appropriate so your body can receive the healthy amount of sleep that it needs to recover from the day's activities.

ReputationRep:
    i'm totally opposite no matter what time i sleep i always wake up between 8.30/9am ....sooo annoying when you lectures in the afternoon not morning ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    You could try adopting a polyphasic sleep schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange zombie)
    You could try adopting a polyphasic sleep schedule.
    What on earth is one of those?

ReputationRep:
    Well, a least you haven't got insomnia, as that really sucks, wanting to sleep but you literally cant O.o

ReputationRep:
    My sleeping patterns are all over the place. The only thing I found useful is taking 2 drowsy anti-histamines at midnight each night. I wake up feeling refreshed, no drama, Cba with all the other advice, it never works for hardcore insomniacs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.