Turn on thread page Beta

How do you manage to sleep regularly? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to face thinking about school work , part time work and applying to uni so I try to occupy my self and go to bed really late so I'm too sleepy to think about it before going to bed. This way I can get through days without thinking and postpone planning my future and taking responsibility for my self indefinitely. Lame huh...

ReputationRep:
    I really don't have any business giving people sleep advice...

(Original post by The-Real-One)
    While the title may sound ridiculous, I have trouble sleeping regularly. Take the week just gone, I went to bed at a different time every day for differing lengths of time. Eg, last Sunday I slept a total of 3 hours from 3am, while this Saturday I slept for 14 hours from 10pm, and everything inbetween.

While some(or a lot) of this is attributable to uni/work/bad time mangement etc. Even in my holidays I don't sleep regularly. I just don't feel tired at the same time the next day, then an endless cycle of random sleeping times and lengths occur.

It's probably bad for me,any thoughts?
    Having the same problem. But, I wanted really want to know...does irregular sleep really disrupt productivity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    Is it wrong that I find this idea a little arousing?

OP, try coordinating the amount of food you eat with the amount of sleep you've had, that works for me. E.g. if you've slept for a long time then eat very little during the day, then you'll have less energy and find it easier to sleep again in the evening. If you balance it correctly you'll soon develop a regular sleeping pattern
    It does't really work for me, if i'm too hungry i'll not be very sleepy.

I'm actually pretty convinced I have a "non 24 hour sleep cycle" disorder. When I'm in my holidays, with days on on end of having nothing to do, I'll sleep about 1 hour later every day. I've never really tried doing that for 24 days though, cos usually by the time it's up to 7am sleeping time, you might as well skip sleep for that day all together.

cos you know, when you have uni and work you have to get up, I think overall being sleep deprived actually helps me to sleep at whenever, because you're so tired you'll fall asleep whenever. but again, sleep deprivation isn't really a long term solution.

I don't :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    What on earth is one of those?
    Basically, it consists on having more than one sleeping phase per day. For example, you could sleep 5 hours at night and then take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. That would be a biphasic sleeping schedule. Some people go as far as taking a total of five naps. Google it, it may work for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange zombie)
    Basically, it consists on having more than one sleeping phase per day. For example, you could sleep 5 hours at night and then take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. That would be a biphasic sleeping schedule. Some people go as far as taking a total of five naps. Google it, it may work for you!
    Wow, I wish I had a routine in my life that would allow for that. Sadly everything I do is too irregular and unpredictable for me to be able to plan when I sleep, looks like something to look into when I settle down though, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is pretty erratic, with a mucked up sleeping routine. ALWAYS go to my bed later since I cannot sleep and feel like s##t through the day, sometimes even nearly sleeping through lectures. Too tired during the day and cannot sleep at night .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by withoutwax1111)
    I don't really want to face thinking about school work , part time work and applying to uni so I try to occupy my self and go to bed really late so I'm too sleepy to think about it before going to bed. This way I can get through days without thinking and postpone planning my future and taking responsibility for my self indefinitely. Lame huh...
    This, minus the school part and if it isn't sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    I jack off regularly.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem, in that I seem to stay up later and later each night until I'm going to bed at ridiculous hours in the morning, and sleeping in the day. The time I like to spend awake plus the time I like to spend asleep simply does not equal 24 hours for some stupid reason.
    I swear if I lived somewhere with a 26 hour day like Deep Space Nine then I would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuddlemonster)
    Lie in bed, fully dressed for ages. Keep telling yourself how uncomfortable you are wearing your clothes, and how much you want to take them off so you can sleep.

Then get nekkid (or wear something that's comfortable) and you should feel so freed that you fall asleep straight away.

EDIT: When I say fully clothed, i mean it. Tight jeans, an itchy jumper, a bowler hat. Anything that makes you feel uncomfortable
    This is actually genius. Oh, Cuddlemonster. You may have saved my sleeping regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    This is actually genius. Oh, Cuddlemonster. You may have saved my sleeping regime.
    Send the cheque to the usual address.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.