Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

not enough money? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I played with the finance calculator and it said i'd get roughly £4,000 maintenance loan, so then I went looking how much halls accommodation would be, and it comes to about £3,600 for 39 weeks accommodation.. is the £400 leftover enough to live on? I've never been out on my own and had to fend for myself, so I just don't know, but it seems kind of low to me?

this was for ensuite at York by the way.

Edit: I've just read that you can get a Maintenance GRANT, which is separate from the loan and that is like 2.9k, so that should easily cover it.. guess i'll just apply for the loan ASAP and see what I get. not so worried now.

also do people generally take things like their computer and TV, or just get a small laptop to take? I feel like everyone would be staring at me if I arrived and had a huge 32" flatscreen and my giant Tower PC hauling it up to my room, but is that what other people do? :confused:

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratchet565)
    I played with the finance calculator and it said i'd get roughly £4,000 maintenance loan, so then I went looking how much halls accommodation would be, and it comes to about £3,600 for 39 weeks accommodation.. is the £400 leftover enough to live on? I've never been out on my own and had to fend for myself, so I just don't know, but it seems kind of low to me?

Edit: I've just read that you can get a Maintenance GRANT, which is separate from the loan and that is like 2.9k, so that should easily cover it.. guess i'll just apply for the loan ASAP and see what I get. not so worried now.

also do people generally take things like their computer and TV, or just get a small laptop to take? I feel like everyone would be staring at me if I arrived and had a huge 32" flatscreen and my giant Tower PC hauling it up to my room, but is that what other people do? :confused:

thanks
    Ads you've answered your own question, I won't reply to the first half of your post.

As to the TV and stuff, most people don't bother with a TV (takes up too much room, need a TV licence and can just as easily watch iPlayer). You must remember that hall rooms are tiny, especially if they have furniture built in that you can't move around. A 32" sounds like a tight squeeze.

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Remember the grant is means tested, and unless your parents are on a very low income- under 25k you won't get the full ammount. Also again unless your parents are on a very low income the loan isn't meant to cover everything, your parents are supposed to contribute and there is always the option of a job and overdraft. I'm aware not everyones parents can or will help out but thats what SF assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Remember the grant is means tested, and unless your parents are on a very low income- under 25k you won't get the full ammount. Also again unless your parents are on a very low income the loan isn't meant to cover everything, your parents are supposed to contribute and there is always the option of a job and overdraft. I'm aware not everyones parents can or will help out but thats what SF assume.
    well after sending the finance app and calculating the amounts it gave me based on parents income etc, it leaves me with about £65 a week minus accommodation, it could end up being less than that, or more, but how does that sound to live on?

ReputationRep:
    If ensuite is £3600, then consider non-ensuite..

If you're paying for catered then consider self-catered..

It's all compromises really.

ReputationRep:
    well after sending the finance app and calculating the amounts it gave me based on parents income etc, it leaves me with about £65 a week minus accommodation, it could end up being less than that, or more, but how does that sound to live on?
    That sounds pretty decent, just make sure you budget well and write a list before you go shopping and you should only need to spend £20-30pw on food, the rest can be used for luxuries e.g. clothes or nights out. A lot of people end up with next to nothing left once they have paid for accomodation so your lucky there.

ReputationRep:
    well I went to visit my lawyer today, I was hit by a car in november and have a claim going, he said he could get me a small advance on the claim to help with uni so I could be looking at a nice £5k from that, so looks like i'm set!

thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Well prices are different over here in the states but I don't think you'll be able to last too long with 400 bucks for food.... maybe. a few months at the most.

As for tthe TV and laptop, you should definitely being a computer but the television won't really be needed; I would suggest you sell it and use that money for food.

ReputationRep:
    well I went to visit my lawyer today, I was hit by a car in november and have a claim going, he said he could get me a small advance on the claim to help with uni so I could be looking at a nice £5k from that, so looks like i'm set!

thanks guys
    Well that's great you're getting money from the cclaim. I don't know what your spending habits or taste in material things us, but don't spend all of your money. Use it to buy the bare minimum and only the things you need.

I used to blow money on this gs all the time but now being my 3rd semester at a uni I learned to save mmy money for things down the road.

ReputationRep:

thanks

I had a 32 and a tower. Nothing wrong with that. Great for gaming and watching things.

ReputationRep:
    Part time job will help fill the gap in usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    I had a 32 and a tower. Nothing wrong with that. Great for gaming and watching things.
    yeah I figure since i'll be there for 4 years why not take my full PC and TV for PS3/watching movies etc.. sure i'll be working most of the time but still will be times when i've got nothing to do

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.