Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

ok so i have 4 unconditional offers at good unis for a degree i like and would not mind doing. but i want to go through clearing in the summer and try and get into a different university for a different course. I know that in the past, computing degrees were not very popular so they were always in clearing and i think i could get into one (even though my grades are slightly below the entry reqs).

However, i must get into uni this year, and what i am scared of is calling up the unis in the summer, asking them if they can take me on and getting a yes reply, then when i call the current unis to cancel my offers, my clearing uni might change their mind then ill be left without a place at all. can this happen?

ReputationRep:
    Also, i have heard about the adjustment feature. will i be able to use that and try and get into a better uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vitafit)
    Also, i have heard about the adjustment feature. will i be able to use that and try and get into a better uni?
    I personally have just qualified for adjustment, you can only use it if you get better grades then what you are predicted and required for you're course. Adjustment students take priority over clearing. Courses this year are going to be extra competitive and I believe you can only enter clearing if you cancel all your offers first.
    What course have you got your offers for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

ok so i have 4 unconditional offers at good unis for a degree i like and would not mind doing. but i want to go through clearing in the summer and try and get into a different university for a different course. I know that in the past, computing degrees were not very popular so they were always in clearing and i think i could get into one (even though my grades are slightly below the entry reqs).

However, i must get into uni this year, and what i am scared of is calling up the unis in the summer, asking them if they can take me on and getting a yes reply, then when i call the current unis to cancel my offers, my clearing uni might change their mind then ill be left without a place at all. can this happen?
    Yes it could if you leave it until Results Day to ask the uni to release you, so you should think this through very carefully. You will have to pick one of these offers for your firm. After that, you will have to decide whether to ask that uni to release you into Clearing, and it would be most sensible to do this before Results Day.

No. People holding unconditional offers are not eligible for Adjustment - but even if you were, there's no guarantee that you would find anything 'better' - fewer than 400 people got places through Adjustment last year.

(Original post by Rory :))
    I personally have just qualified for adjustment, you can only use it if you get better grades then what you are predicted and required for you're course. Adjustment students take priority over clearing. Courses this year are going to be extra competitive and I believe you can only enter clearing if you cancel all your offers first.
    What course have you got your offers for?
    Adjustment and Clearing are quite separate processes, and I'm not sure where you have got the idea that Adjustment applicants take priority? Also, you can only have qualified for Adjustment if you (a) had already accepted a conditional firm which is now unconditional following the January results and (b) have exceeded your offer, not your predictions or the standard entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Yes it could if you leave it until Results Day to ask the uni to release you, so you should think this through very carefully. You will have to pick one of these offers for your firm. After that, you will have to decide whether to ask that uni to release you into Clearing, and it would be most sensible to do this before Results Day.

No. People holding unconditional offers are not eligible for Adjustment - but even if you were, there's no guarantee that you would find anything 'better' - fewer than 400 people got places through Adjustment last year.

Adjustment and Clearing are quite separate processes, and I'm not sure where you have got the idea that Adjustment applicants take priority? Also, you can only have qualified for Adjustment if you (a) had already accepted a conditional firm which is now unconditional following the January results and (b) have exceeded your offer, not your predictions or the standard entry requirements.
    UCAS adviser. If theirs only one place left and everything is the same except ones applying through clearing and ones applying through adjustment who do you think they are going to choose? As one has bettered their self and one is just late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    and it would be most sensible to do this before Results Day.
    Thanks for replying.

I was planning on picking my firm now from the offers i already have, and then come results day (or the day after when everything calms down a bit) I will call a couple unis and ask them for a place, if they both say yes I will then call my firm choice and ask them to release me and phone back the uni in clearing to give my clearing number.

I dont understand why it would be more sensible to do this before results day, becuase I wouldn't know if that course is even in clearing and if that uni will even accept me.

Btw, the course I already have offers for is Business management with finance. and I want to get into a computer science course.

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why it would be more sensible to do this before results day, becuase I wouldn't know if that course is even in clearing and if that uni will even accept me.

Btw, the course I already have offers for is Business management with finance. and I want to get into a computer science course.
    You can end up with a big delay between contacting your firm and actually being released. I wasn't so bad, had a few hours, but you hear of someone people that spend a week or a fortnight waiting to be released. Simply put, student that doesn't want to go there isn't the uni's biggest priority.

You don't have to wait until Clearing; if you're happy enough with the unis and they do computer science, you can contact them now to ask if you could change your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You can end up with a big delay between contacting your firm and actually being released. I wasn't so bad, had a few hours, but you hear of someone people that spend a week or a fortnight waiting to be released. Simply put, student that doesn't want to go there isn't the uni's biggest priority.

You don't have to wait until Clearing; if you're happy enough with the unis and they do computer science, you can contact them now to ask if you could change your course.
    Being released could really take that long?? A friend of mine did it last year but that was instant, just had to make 2 phone calls within 10 mins. 1) can they release him, 2) gave the clearing number to the other uni and that was that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying.

I was planning on picking my firm now from the offers i already have, and then come results day (or the day after when everything calms down a bit) I will call a couple unis and ask them for a place, if they both say yes I will then call my firm choice and ask them to release me and phone back the uni in clearing to give my clearing number.

Shame we cant swap I have an offer to do computer science but have been interested in finance for a while, just for the fact that their is so much more money to be earned in finance.

ReputationRep:
    Being released could really take that long?? A friend of mine did it last year but that was instant, just had to make 2 phone calls within 10 mins. 1) can they release him, 2) gave the clearing number to the other uni and that was that.
    The last couple of years, a day has been a long time in Clearing. You may be lucky and share your friend's experience; then again you might not.

ReputationRep:
    It could take that long. You don't hear of a fortnight that much, but the number has come from somewhere, it has taken someone that long to be released. But a day or two, certainly ... and that can make all the difference in Clearing. If you want to use Clearing, you ideally want to be ready to go the minute the unis open the phone lines.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.