Turn on thread page Beta

Track Day/Race Car watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm keen to get into a bit of Motorsport when I get back to the UK(see previous thread on Hillclimbs/Sprints), and have decided to go down the Track Day/Hillclimb route.

Obviously I need something that can comply with MSA regulations (After some modifications), but it doesn't need to be MOT'd/Taxed or Insured, so basically I have plenty of scope to work with.

So far, I've thought of going down the hot hatch route and going for a Mk5 Fiesta Zetec-S, few modifications/stripped interior etc. Also, I have been considering going for a turbo'd car eg. Subaru Impreza. This has a great amount of power and 4WD so would obviously be nifty round a track. Again, it will probably get stripped and caged.

I will have a budget of ~£3000 so, people of TSR, throw your ideas at me!

ReputationRep:
    An Impreza will be expensive to run as they are awesomely fast but heavy, and put a lot of load on components on track. Tyres and brakes will take a pounding every outing, and the fuel bills will be huge. Small hatchbacks can make great track cars, particularly old Peugeot 205 GTi's. 106's do well, but avoid VAG (Golf/Polo etc) as they are fragile enough on reliability on the road, let along the extreme environment of a track. For a bit of RWD action, old BMW 3 Series, Nissan 200SX's, MR2's and MX5's are popular.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the running costs of the impreza is the only thing putting me off.

Really would like a RWD, shall look into 200sx's more, always like them!

If it's a hatchback I go for, it will most likely be the zetec s, bit of a Ford fan

ReputationRep:
    Puma's can be had quite cheap and were a great little car.

ReputationRep:
    Would prefer a fiesta with a puma conversion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerbing)
    Would prefer a fiesta with a puma conversion
    they are the same car underneath.

so its pointless.

almost same wieght when stripped out. Better aerodynamics on puma.

Only the zetec S fiesta is a close match for handling and that's only because ford used puma suspension on the zetec s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    they are the same car underneath.

so its pointless.

almost same wieght when stripped out. Better aerodynamics on puma.

Only the zetec S fiesta is a close match for handling and that's only because ford used puma suspension on the zetec s.
    Yeah, it's the Zetec s I'm on about. I know more about the fiesta though so that's why I would prefer it

ReputationRep:
    i know of a trackday bike for sale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    i know of a trackday bike for sale
    Unfortunately, I havent obtained my bike licence yet!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I havent obtained my bike licence yet!
    im noticing the 'yet' and liking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    im noticing the 'yet' and liking it
    Haha yeah, have to wait a few years... My mum would kick me out if I got one!

ReputationRep:
    How about a bmw 325 / 328 or similar,mx5, rwd and cheap enough. Dont laugh but how about a metro (rover 100). Seat ibiza? all depends what sort of racing you want to do in the future. Clio 172.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jds2)
    How about a bmw 325 / 328 or similar,mx5, rwd and cheap enough. Dont laugh but how about a metro (rover 100). Seat ibiza? all depends what sort of racing you want to do in the future. Clio 172.
    Have actually thought of all of those except the Ibiza! I'm still swaying towards the Subaru atm, simply because it has a turbo

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a clear winner for an old M3 or 3 series. You can get them dirt cheap these days!

ReputationRep:
    Have actually thought of all of those except the Ibiza! I'm still swaying towards the Subaru atm, simply because it has a turbo
    Ibiza's have turbo's aswell

ReputationRep:
    Honda Integra Type R (best FWD drive handling car, ever, probably)

Or yeh, MX-5/M3.

RWD is where its at for track, 4WD is ok but there is much more to go wrong and it is quite prone to understeer.

Have you looked into kit cars?

ReputationRep:
    The BAC MONO, whilst a little over your budget looks pretty good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Honda Integra Type R (best FWD drive handling car, ever, probably)

Or yeh, MX-5/M3.

RWD is where its at for track, 4WD is ok but there is much more to go wrong and it is quite prone to understeer.

Have you looked into kit cars?
    Integra's are great, but I'm not sure if I'd be able get one for <£3k?

Kit cars I have looked into, but I've neer been a fan of them tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The BAC MONO, whilst a little over your budget looks pretty good for you

Just slightly over budget.. Nice all the same!

ReputationRep:
    Integra's are great, but I'm not sure if I'd be able get one for <£3k?

Kit cars I have looked into, but I've neer been a fan of them tbh!
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2624903.htm

You could probably get that down to £3k.

There was another on PH that was less than £3k but needed a gearbox rebuild, which would nudge it over.

As you are going to be stripping out the interior and other bits, you could sell this to make up any over spend on the car and pay for the racing mods.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.