Turn on thread page Beta

Track Day/Race Car watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the budget, my suggestion is to buy an already built track car.

Would also be looking on your driving experience and skill... if you're a starter in this, I'd probably go for a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo.... one of the most forgiving cars on the track.

Otherwise, I'd also be looking at a Mazda MX5.

Another really fast car you could look into for track day use is a Saab 9-3 Viggen, quite cheap these days.

A Peugeot 306 GTi-6 is also quite a good one to play with, really good handler for what it is and the parts are cheap as chips. Only thing got to watch out for is the lift-off oversteer.

But personally I prefer to build my own track day cars.... probably start it from the chassis of a BMW E36 M3. Slowly put money into it.

What type of race are you trying to compete in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    But personally I prefer to build my own track day cars.... probably start it from the chassis of a BMW E36 M3. Slowly put money into it.

What type of race are you trying to compete in?
    I also like to modify cars myself, so I'll not be properly competing until 2012 season. Therefore, slowly building up the car and doing a few track days along the way to hopefully better myself as a driver.

I would like to take part in sprints, hillclimbs and the odd trackday.

ReputationRep:
    It seems my decision has been made!

After insuring a Zetec S as a road car, I can afford to run it on the road! Hopefully this doesn't change in the next 4-5 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerbing)
    I would like to take part in sprints, hillclimbs and the odd trackday.
    For hillclimbs, you will need a fairly light weight car.

A good friend of mine takes part in a lot of these types of races, his weapon of choice is this Fiat Panda 100hp.... the only thing original about it is the body shell, some suspension bits... engine comes from a Fiat Bravo 1.4T 150hp. Though it's actual output is now closer to 200hp.

Met it once on track day with my then Mini Cooper S JCW, No chance to even smell it's exhaust fumes.

Pretty sure he's spent upwards of 20 big ones on that thing.

He has another "sleeper" Panda as well, from the outside it looks just like a standard normal 1.2l Panda... complete with the plastic wheel covers. But it's powered by the Fiat 1.4T 150bhp engine as well, completely street legal and it still uses the same gear ratios for gear 1-4 as a 1.2l..... that thing can surprise quite a lot of cars on the road costing many times more Indeed a very unsuspecting car as it doesn't show any signs that it has had any modifications at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 23, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.