Turn on thread page Beta

Favourite bands through the years. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK, so basically I thought it'd be interesting to see how peoples favourite bands have grown/changed over time.

1. ABBA - My Mum had the hits, and it got me into them when I was young.
    2. Can't really remember having a favourite artist for a large part of my teenage years - I bought a lot of NOW CDs and dance CDs but didn't really have any favourite artist.
    3. Linkin Park - Must have been around 16/17 I began to love music again and these were my favourite at the time.
    4. Simple Plan - I probably liked them equally to Linkin Park at the time.
    5. Muse - Aged 19 I got into Muse and completely fell in love with their music. They were also the first gig I ever went too.
    6. Sigur ros - In the last year or so I began to explore more music and loved their post rock style of music.
    7. Maybeshewill - For the past 5/6 months I can't stop listening to their music. Should definately be more well known then they are because their music is incredible!

ReputationRep:
    Age 10 and below: Britney Spears, Steps, S Club 7 and all the other terribly cheesy pop out there at the time.
    Age 11 - 14: P!nk, Avril Lavigne, Natasha Beddingfield, Maroon 5 mixed in with some questionable Japanese pop.
    Age 15 - 17: Typical moody teenager bands, Linkin Park, Sum41, SR-71, 3 Doors Down, We the Kings.
    Age 18+: RAP BABY. All day, every day. Will listen to most artists, except Lil Wayne.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I think up to the age of 7 it was Steps, Spice Girls, Britney etc. My mum used also used to play a lot of ABBA, Blondie and old glam rock stuff, but I was never really that into it.

Then I became weirdly obsessed with Eminem when I was about 9 after watching 8 mile I was also really into Avril Lavigne and Shakira etc.
    Up to the age of 15 I didn't really listen to much music other than chart stuff. Then I started really liking Fall out boy, MCR, Sum 41, Simple Plan etc. Unfortunately I'm 19 and still haven't grown out of the moody teenage band stage haha. Overall though I listen to much more varied music nowadays thanks to free music on the internets.

ReputationRep:
    Let's see.

0-3: Typical baby/toddler music
    4-7: Green Day, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses, Meat Puppets. Yeah, I grew rock.
    5-11: Not really anything to be honest, just what was on the radio and what others were listening to.
    12-14: Punk rock, bands like Blink-182. My punk years, I'm glad I grew out of it.
    15-19: Radiohead, Coldplay, Sigur Rós, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc.
    19-present: Progressive Rock and older music in general. This includes bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, The Kinks, The Who, The Beatles amongst many others.

Rock on!

ReputationRep:
    9-11 busted and avril lavigne
    11- whenever - HEAVY ****ING METAL

ReputationRep:
    5 - 10 | The Smiths, Tom Jones, Led Zeppelin, The Cure (Because my dad listened to them alot)

11 - 15 | Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Eminem, Arctic Monkeys, Gorillaz and Bassline, because it was popular...

16 - 18 | Back to The Smiths, The Specials, Stone Roses, Nirvana, King Blues, Strokes, The Libertines, Babyshambles etc..

18+ | Pretty much the same but also stuff like Metallica and all that.

ReputationRep:
    5-10 generic pop: S-Club 7, Britney Spears
    10-13: Queen, Busted, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi
    14-16: Fratellis, Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Libertines
    16+: The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Beach Fossils, Depeche Mode, La Roux, The Strokes, Foals...

ReputationRep:
    0-8 years old

Generic pop like Ronan Keating and Westlife

9-12 years old

An odd mix of whatever I liked on music channels. Nickelback, Orson and Eminem

13 years old

I went through a crazy Michael Jackson phase

14/15 years old

Rock/Emo phase. Stuff like Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, Green Day and MCR

16 years old - present day

Listened to lots metal of various different subgenres. Also rediscovered my love of cheesy pop, especially Orson and Backstreet Boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizmo)
    Let's see.

0-3: Typical baby/toddler music
    4-7: Green Day, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses, Meat Puppets. Yeah, I grew rock.
    5-11: Not really anything to be honest, just what was on the radio and what others were listening to.
    12-14: Punk rock, bands like Blink-182. My punk years, I'm glad I grew out of it.
    15-19: Radiohead, Coldplay, Sigur Rós, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc.
    19-present: Progressive Rock and older music in general. This includes bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, The Kinks, The Who, The Beatles amongst many others.

Rock on!
    Mine is the same as yours but in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    0-10: Five, The Prodigy, Trancey stuff

11-14: Green Day, Sum 41, Nirvana, Slipknot

15-Present: Tons of new Genres - House, Trance, DnB, Dubstep, Indie, Pop, Grime, Hip hop, Lots of female singers :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Child: Five, Spice Girls

Early-late teens: Oasis, Blur, Avril Lavigne, Eminem, Linkin Park, Athlete

Adulthood: Oasis, Libertines, Babyshambles, The Strokes, Stone Roses, Smiths, Air Traffic, Florence and The Machine, The White Stripes, Kasabian, The Jam, The Beatles, Elliott Smith

I like to think my taste has improved a lot with age!

ReputationRep:
    0-8 - Didnt really hold an interest in music to be honest, but apparently I fancied the pants off Baby Spice (who didnt?)

9-13 - Bands like Green Day, Sum 41, Blink 182 etc. Thank god that stage ended. Oh, and also Incubus/System of a Down/Red Hot Chilis because my sister liked them.

14-16 - Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, Wolfmother, System of a Down, RHCP, Incubus, Arctic Monkeys, Led Zep, Bloc Party, QOTSA, Taking Back Sunday

17-18 - Like to think I've broadened my horizons. Whilst Incubus are mainstays, I pretty much grew up to their sound, they are no longer my favourite band, I reserve that for The Mars Volta. Also got in to At The Drive In as a consequence, and then more mainstream bands such as The xx, Foals, Biffy, Tokyo Police Club, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Black Keys, Metronomy, Arcade Fire. Add in a sprinkling of Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Joy Division, Gyptian, John Frusciante and Eagles of Death Metal

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.