Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Being asked out by a stranger. Watch

Ladies, how does it make you feel? Have you said yes before?

Thinking about asking out a truly stunning girl I've seen around at uni and I thought it would be interesting to see how women would respond to a guy randomly approaching and asking you out. Best way to do it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I felt awkward and not safe. It's better to go out with someone you know, going out with a stranger is a risk. Who knows, a person could be good looking, decent or looks harmless but what if he's like Ted Bundy?
    It depends on the girl though, some girls are up to it and some are not.

ReputationRep:
    maybe try have a conversation with her first?asking her out straight away is kind of jumping in at the deep end and the idea of going on a date or whatever with someone you don't even know just sounds like it'd be full of awkward silences etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Thinking about asking out a truly stunning girl I've seen around at uni and I thought it would be interesting to see how women would respond to a guy randomly approaching and asking you out. Best way to do it?
    Don't 'ask her out'. Best case scenario is she's vaguely flattered that someone finds her attractive, but sadly - and more likely - as a beautiful (or 'truly stunning') woman she will be used to it (and bored by it).

Instead you talk to her. Talk well; be smart, be funny, be rude to her - but in a funny way, be charming, be witty, be cool, be brief.

Tell her you have to go (preferably go do something cool like, I dunno, fight a tiger for charity)... but... oh wait, here, give me your [email address / phone number] and I might get in touch if I get a few moments spare. Maybe. No promises - I'm pretty busy.

Cool, bye. Smile. Leave.

Ta da!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Yes. I felt awkward and not safe. It's better to go out with someone you know, going out with a stranger is a risk. Who knows, a person could be good looking, decent or looks harmless but what if he's like Ted Bundy?
    This. I found it really weird and a little scary. You'll either come across as a stalker or a pervy chancer who simply saw an attractive girl and decided to leap out and ask her to get with him. Neither of those appearances are good.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I wouldn't go out with a complete stranger, so you need to set up some way of getting to know her. You only need to be accquaintances to get her number, get to know her a little, and then ask her out, but it's the becoming accquaintances to begin with that's the hardest, but most important bit.

Otherwise I fear it might be guaranteed rejection :/

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty scary. A guy kept staring at me on the tram and followed me after I got off to ask me out. I told him "I have a boyfriend" and hurried off, hoping that he didn't follow me afterwards...

Then again, that girl you want to ask out isn't me, but I would suggest that you would talk to her and get to know her a bit at first, and then you can ask her out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Journalistic)
    Don't 'ask her out'. Best case scenario is she's vaguely flattered that someone finds her attractive, but sadly - and more likely - as a beautiful (or 'truly stunning') woman she will be used to it (and bored by it).

Instead you talk to her. Talk well; be smart, be funny, be rude to her - but in a funny way, be charming, be witty, be cool, be brief.

Tell her you have to go (preferably go do something cool like, I dunno, fight a tiger for charity)... but... oh wait, here, give me your [email address / phone number] and I might get in touch if I get a few moments spare. Maybe. No promises - I'm pretty busy.

Cool, bye. Smile. Leave.

Ta da!

who is this guy, will smith?

ReputationRep:
    She won't even think about it: "No thanks", polite smile, run away. Cross the street whenever she sees you coming in future.

Just smile at her as you walk past. That seems to do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it and it really depends on your approach. Just be a bit flattering and teasing, but very brief. Say you noticed her around, introduce yourself, say you have to run off for something important and tell her you would like to maybe have coffee sometime on campus, which is in her comfort zone. Don't jump too much in it by asking her to have dinner with you or something, start small. If you'll be confident and laughing and don't seem like you're a creepy stalker, you definitely have a good shot

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it tbh. It's a little creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer: They like it if they think the guy is good looking but they find it creepy if he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwinten)
    I've done it and it really depends on your approach. Just be a bit flattering and teasing, but very brief. Say you noticed her around, introduce yourself, say you have to run off for something important and tell her you would like to maybe have coffee sometime on campus, which is in her comfort zone. Don't jump too much in it by asking her to have dinner with you or something, start small. If you'll be confident and laughing and don't seem like you're a creepy stalker, you definitely have a good shot
    This is good advice.

If you are feeling little cocky you could combine this with an instant-date and a false time constraint. So something like, "Listen, I've gotta be at class (or somewhere) in 20 minutes, but come grab a coffee with me for 10 minutes and tell me about (what ever you were discussing with her)."

Obviously there is a higher than average chance of failure, but when it goes right it is fireworks!!

ReputationRep:
    I personally dont like it this is gonna sound mean but its usally avearage guys that do things like that and it can be very off putting.The good looking ones are hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    Hi... anyone want to go out with me??? you wont be disapointed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayak dan)
    Hi... anyone want to go out with me??? you wont be disapointed...
    Na

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

The weird thing about asking out a stranger is that you're 100% doing it based on appearance. If you've never had a conversation with her, you have no idea what she's like, what she's interested in, whether you have anything in common etc. It makes you seem shallow. I'm not saying it definitely won't work, but I think you have to bear in mind that since she doesn't know you either, she's going to be judging you by the same criteria when she decides whether to say yes. So unless you're incredibly good-looking yourself and / or incredibly charming when you ask her, you're most likely to get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I have done this before super casually. I.e. If you are walking in the same direction and catch their eye then why not strike up a harmless conversation? I met an ex when she was struggling to carry two big bags down the street and I offered to help her haha.
    The world would be much nicer if people were more friendly.

(Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Jeez what's wrong with striking up a conversation with someone you see around uni? Assuming they are a serial killer what is wrong with you????

(Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Simple answer: They like it if they think the guy is good looking but they find it creepy if he isn't.
    Also this 100% haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roloqueen)
    The weird thing about asking out a stranger is that you're 100% doing it based on appearance. If you've never had a conversation with her, you have no idea what she's like, what she's interested in, whether you have anything in common etc. It makes you seem shallow. I'm not saying it definitely won't work, but I think you have to bear in mind that since she doesn't know you either, she's going to be judging you by the same criteria when she decides whether to say yes. So unless you're incredibly good-looking yourself and / or incredibly charming when you ask her, you're most likely to get rejected.
    That's probably why you should look for something small you have in common, a book she's reading or a paper she has for example. And yes it's possible she will look at you as an even bigger stalker, but you may also look as the kind of guy who's interested and has a great eye for detail. It's all about the way you put it.

And generally, my experience, beautiful women do like it when they you say that to them, just as long as it's not in a club and in a I just want to have sex with you asap and that's why I'm saying this. My friend once walked up to a girl in Starbucks and just told her that she was beautiful and that he wished her a great day and we walked away, but she did really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I like it. What's wrong with it? I love meeting new people, they don't have any preconceptions of you, you can be exactly how you feel in that moment of time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.