Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    Whilst this is all true, the OP explicity stated that he was very much interested in finance. davidr123 seems to have some experience of that sector and commented from that point of view: stating that with regards to auditing, the most important thing is contacts and relevant finance-based experience things that can be gained without a degree. I don't claim to know anything about the sector, but it seems that davidr123 knows what he's talking about so I don't dispute that specific point.
    I appreciate all of this but im just trying to stress the point that the apprecticeship pathway may not be suitable for everyone,it may be ok for those who want to go into accounting as earlier mentioned. My comments are ot directed at you personally, just used your post to reply-sry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidr123)
    Unbounded - you have missed the point which will dawn on you when you enter the job market:

The ACA/ACCA is a professional qualification that can only be achieved by exams in conjunction with formal experience and joining a professional body - only once completed, you may sign off audit reports. If you do not have it - you cannot sign off audit reports - i.e. there is a point to it, a need for it - and a reason why starting salaries for people who hold it are £40k+

It is similar to qualifying as a corgi-registered gas fitter (plumbing), chartered surveyor or doctor - i.e. it gives you a license to carry out a specific task that therefore demands higher pay.

However where the ACA/ACCA differs from all other professional qualifications is in its usefulness - you can work in any accounts department, do tax returns and approve loan and mortgage applications - there is a worlwide shortage of chartered accountants - consequently you will always be in work.

The skills learned cover every single entity from the local sweet shop to Goldman Sachs via healthcare, education and oil exploration - consequently it is a peerless qualification to hold.

If you qualify as a CFA (chartered financial analyst) that is only useful for certain finance jobs, don't forget many bankers got the sack recently with the downturn - they cannot transition into accounts roles - Aca's can do their roles...

-

Academic qualifications are pieces of paper - you cannot "do" anything with them apart from go into lecturing and teaching - which is badly paid and a dead end. However it is unsackable - so if you haven't got what it takes to compete in the real workplace - put your feet up and dupe kids to keep buying your courses.

The long held bullsh*t about "degrees give employers what they want" or "blue chip companies employ 50% of our graduates" is utter rubbish you simply to have to then do professional qualifications for the good jobs anyway. You either have common sense, social skills and confidence or not - you do not learn these at uni. Many of the top grad jobs go to kids whose parents have pushed them into profesional qualifications first - grads don't even get a look in!

Its just like the previous round of blaggers in your college/6th form who report "80% of our kids go to Uni" to sell themselves as if UNi is the key to success and good times.

-

you'll think the same way when you graduate and realise there are 30,000 decent grad jobs for 300,000 UK graduates with 2:1's and good a-levels....

Highly intelligent friends of mine who went to LSE/imperial/Leeds/Nottingham now work in dead end account manager jobs for small firms or the jobcentre/NHS as service managers....

Many graduates come out and do odd jobs whilst struggling to get on the career ladder, many just give up and teach.

You are a complete tool!

You really are mad to think the choices you have made in life should apply to absolutely everyone.

A maths degree smashes an A&F degree by miles (infact an A&F degree is a pretty sub-standard course - and viewed as such).

You also keep banging on about the big 4 being some sort of holy grail. It really isn't. It does open doors but not nearly as many as you think - you will soon learn that when you qualify this year and end up in product control.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.