Turn on thread page Beta

Will you be madly disappointed if you end up going to your insurance choice? watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be disappointed if you end up going to your insurance choice?
    Yes
    55.26%
    No
    44.74%

ReputationRep:
    This is a recurring thought at the moment.

Warwick is my firm, I visited the place and absolutely loved it plus its a well thought of uni.

Brunel is my insurance choice, I visited the place its alright but its not for me buzzing like Warwick plus I already live in London and I want to get out of London... -_-

But yeah obvious question I know, but in a case of say you missed your grades?

I asked my friend if she'd be disappointed and she said she wouldn't mind... but I really do mind if I miss out.

Thoughts? Sorry for the jumble of text haha

ReputationRep:
    Nah I would be just as happy to go to my insurance, it may be my firm choice anyway depending on whether I get an offer from my planned firm.

ReputationRep:
    my insurance is imperial college, so no, it would be GREAT :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I WON'T be mad to go to my insurance.

But I will be mad that I don't get into my firm...

ReputationRep:
    I won't be disappointed about going to my insurance choice. I would be disappointed that I wasn't able to achieve the grades to get into my firm.
    The not achieving the grades part would haunt me.

ReputationRep:
    I've got it into my head that I'm going to my insurance, so that if I don't meet the grades for my firm, I won't be as disappointed. If I make the grades, it will be a nice surprise. I am still working as hard as before and I haven't given up, I just know it's going to be hard for me to get those grades and I don't want to be depressed about going to my insurance. I would rather go to my firm because it's a better uni and it would be an achievement, but my insurance is still a good place and in a lovely city, so I'm lucky to go anywhere really.

ReputationRep:
    I think itd be weird after months of being geared up to go to a certain university having chosen accommodation etc but I do like my insurance, just not as much as my firm.

ReputationRep:
    Yes- as much as I liked UEA, I would always feel like I've had to settle for second best. Warwick is where I've wanted to go ever since I first saw it, the course is perfect for me and I love the atmosphere.
    Pleeeeeeeeaaaseee let me get the grades

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind. Granted I'd like to go to Cambridge because, well, it's Cambridge, and I also loved everything about it and have been there loads (open day, interview, week-long STEP course this Easter) and would be really happy there. But if I miss the STEP grades, well, it's a horrible exam and I won't be too disappointed. Plus UCL is a really nice university, I liked the look of it and I'd like to live in London. The only thing worrying me is that I wouldn't be able to get decent accommodation.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had an uneasy feeling when I saw that my insurance choice had changed my offer to unconditional the morning of my results day. There was lots of internal swearing when I opened my results and shock and happiness when everything turned out OK: put it that way

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about it this morning. I'd be really disappointed, I'm not going to lie. I've spent ages angsting about whether UEA would ask for a portfolio, then angsting about whether my portfolo was good enough, then angsting about getting an rejection so to fall at the last hurdle would hurt my pride. But I couldn't really blame myself. I know how hard I'm working and dealing with the things I'm dealing with AND A levels is really hard. I'd feel like a failure tbh. Not because my insurance is bad but because I just want to go to UEA. I really liked Kent so I wouldn't mind going there really. It's just I've psyched myself up for UEA even though there's a chance I won't get the grades. /ramble

ReputationRep:
    To some extent yes. But after all, it really doesn't matter which uni you go to unless it's completely crap and you dislike it there. UCL is very beautiful but so is York.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suppose I would be yes. KCL is where I've wanted to go for a few years now, so missing out on my place there would be quite devastating. Although my insurance choice, RHUL, is very good for geography and it's in a very nice location and I'd think I'd still enjoy my time there.

Just need to work hard for the grades

KCL is everything I've every wanted in a university so I'd be upset to say the least if I miss my offer and would be on the phone pleading with admissions to let me on the course

ReputationRep:
    yes.....cos I don't have an insurance....so no firm=no uni

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an insurance, booyaaa!

ReputationRep:
    Not really, the course is better.

ReputationRep:
    The only University I really would like to go to is Kent now, I'd be pretty devastated if I didn't get in.
    If Aberdeen and Stirling actually give me an offer one of them will be my insurance. I wouldn't feel to bad about going there because they're still pretty great, but Kent is just so much better for History and French and the atmosphere was just so lovely I just can't imagine what I'd feel like if I wasn't going there.

ReputationRep:
    Liked both my firm and insurance for very different reasons.One city, one campus. Finished up at insurance and it has been brilliant. now couldnt see myself at my firm at all, disappointed I missed the grades but with hindsight my Russell group firm may have been too academic n stuffy for me. Things happen for a reason n usually turn out to be the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    my insurance is imperial college, so no, it would be GREAT :P
    If you want to go to Imperial, don't worry about not firming it because you won't have an insurance, as if you get less than AAB your current firm/insurance choices would still leave you in clearing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.