Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Adding to my budgie flock... - **** or hen? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to ask you guys what your thoughts are about me getting a **** or a hen.

I've already got three cocks and a single hen. However the hen is a tiny little albino girl - she can be quite bossy and will give the guys a nibble if they're stood in her way and she needs to get somewhere! Otherwise she's just a little girl who's afraid of being away from her boys!

Lucie isn't hand tamed, she's so small I fear trying to grasp her! I use a hand towel when I need to (clipping etc) she'd just rather be with the boys.

The boys are all pretty chilled out, not really a bother on them. Bruce is handtamed to the extent that he trusts me and will come and walk onto my hand when he's ended up on the floor etc. But he's just generally quite stubborn and doesn't like to be held otherwise! Arthur is the same and will rarely sit on my boyfriends shoulder (he's a daddys boy!) and Toko is just... wants nothing to do with either of us, he's the chattiest and most playful and would want nothing more than no interaction with us humans.

I would really like another hen, but I'm unsure as to how this would affect the dynamics of the cage, Lucie's only a tiny hen, but I imagine she might be a bit bossy with another bird - and if the new Hen is bigger, she'll get put right in her place! I'm going to sit with the budgie's for a while to get a bit of a grasp for how she reacts to other males/females in the cage.

If any of you can come up with pros/cons about getting a male or female, please share. Any experiences are welcome too . I know my boys will welcome the others with open... wings? I'm just unsure of my little hen!

Should probably mention how I'm hoping to really hand train this new addition, to be on par with the training that my Wonsy was at. So hopefully it will encourage the others a little bit more too. I've heard that males are generally more... "sure, ill do that!" than females, but my Wonsy was a shining star for training. Going to be keeping this new guy seperate for a while until it's good at recall and whatnot, then introduce them to the gang properly. I guess training in a different room works best as they're not distracted by the other birds?.
    Hope you can reply asap, hoping to get this new addition later today!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.