The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis advice?

I had tonsillitis a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty severe and the doc decided it was probably bacterial, so I was put on phenoxymethylpenicillin - 4 x 2 a day for 10 days. It went away after a few days, but then I lost an entire pack of antibiotics, and couldn't finish the course (what a moron!!!)

Now, a few days ago, my throat got sore again. Then it got worse. Now, I'm actually in some of the worse pain I've ever been in. Even losing a finger didn't equate to this. My left tonsil is seriously inflamed - it's impacting my teeth adn jaw, making my ear ache, giving me a killer headache, and my left eye keeps losing focus. The outside of my throat is visibly swollen, and the inside is worse. I'm having serious difficulty even sipping water. I pretty sure I stink, because the only way I have of cleaning my mouth is little washes of Difflam. I'm starving - I haven't eaten anything solid for 2 days - and exhausted, because there's no way I can sleep. Swallowing makes me physically cry out in pain, and I can only open my mouth one and a half centimetres.

I went to see the practice nurse, who agreed that the tonsillitis was back with a vengeance, but she didn't think I have an abcess as such. She put me on another 10 day course of the same penicillin and advised me to carry on with my current regime of ibruprofen, paracetamol with caffeine, colonia throat spray, and difflam.

Thing is, if this dose of antibiotics works at all, it's going to take a few days, and I already want to kill myself rather than deal with this pain. Based on my situation, does anyone have any advice on limiting the pain or speeding up recovery? I'm taking too high a dose of all the painkillers, but I honestly don't know what else to do. Very cold things and very hot things aren't having any soothing effect at this stage.
Reply 1
I had tonsillitis over Christmas and way into the new year, spent my new years eve watching Benidorm reruns whilst everyone else was partying, I feel your pain lol.

I found yoghurt really helped to soothe my throat, but the only problem with this is that because you're probably quite snotty (sorry to be gross) the yoghurt does kinda er stick to your throat and in your mouth. But it's nice and soothing, so you probably aren't going to care about that to be honest. Stick to refreshing foods because you are probably finding it hard to drink as well, things like cucumber and iceburg lettuce... you probably aren't fancying much food either so these are nice basic foods to swallow. Keep doing inhalations with olbas oil and a hot bowl of water with a towel over your head then go stand by the back door for cool air, it makes you feel a bit more refreshed and clears you a bit. Don't try and eat things like hot soup because you will have a very horrible gross experience if your tonsillitis is bad... just don't lol.
Reply 2
Eat ice cream! It will cool it down and sooth it abit and it will also give you some energy.
I feel for you :frown: I had tonsilitis twice in the past year, not as bad as yours though :frown: The only advice I can give is try to suck Strepsils if it helps and sleep to pass the time quicker. And for goodness sake, FINISH the antibiotic treatment properly :biggrin:
Go to a pharmacy and ask about pain relief - there are stronger things than paracetamol and ibuprofen that you can buy over the counter.
Reply 5
do what i did when my gf had tonsillitis.
went to sainsburys

Bought:
Lockets max strength
if that didnt work
2 Lemons and a bottle of honey
if that didnt work
35cl of jack daniels

cashier looked at me funny but it worked :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions - a combination seems to have worked, i feel a lot less suicidal. And for the warning about the soup... should have listened =S regretting it now.

And that Jack Daniels... I'd totally go there if I knew I could stop myself from smoking afterwards lol. Baaaaad idea.
Original post by IntrinsicLouis
I had tonsillitis a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty severe and the doc decided it was probably bacterial, so I was put on phenoxymethylpenicillin - 4 x 2 a day for 10 days. It went away after a few days, but then I lost an entire pack of antibiotics, and couldn't finish the course (what a moron!!!)

Now, a few days ago, my throat got sore again. Then it got worse. Now, I'm actually in some of the worse pain I've ever been in. Even losing a finger didn't equate to this. My left tonsil is seriously inflamed - it's impacting my teeth adn jaw, making my ear ache, giving me a killer headache, and my left eye keeps losing focus. The outside of my throat is visibly swollen, and the inside is worse. I'm having serious difficulty even sipping water. I pretty sure I stink, because the only way I have of cleaning my mouth is little washes of Difflam. I'm starving - I haven't eaten anything solid for 2 days - and exhausted, because there's no way I can sleep. Swallowing makes me physically cry out in pain, and I can only open my mouth one and a half centimetres.

I went to see the practice nurse, who agreed that the tonsillitis was back with a vengeance, but she didn't think I have an abcess as such. She put me on another 10 day course of the same penicillin and advised me to carry on with my current regime of ibruprofen, paracetamol with caffeine, colonia throat spray, and difflam.

Thing is, if this dose of antibiotics works at all, it's going to take a few days, and I already want to kill myself rather than deal with this pain. Based on my situation, does anyone have any advice on limiting the pain or speeding up recovery? I'm taking too high a dose of all the painkillers, but I honestly don't know what else to do. Very cold things and very hot things aren't having any soothing effect at this stage.

Get them out!

Best thing i ever done.. 4 weeks off work full pay ;D I did on the other hand have a massive bleed after 2 weeks post op and had to be rushed into theater to have it stopped o.O

Quick Reply

Latest