Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a place on a Masters in Music at Newcastle Uni to start this September. I've been turned down for funding by the AHRC (no big surprise there) and it would seem that the only option for me to fund it would be a CDL.

My problem is that I'm not sure whether I'll be approved for a loan because my credit history is poor. Not terrible mind, but still poor. I currently have £3000 overdraft debt with Barclays and £600 on a credit card. My debt hasn't risen for a long time but it hasn't fallen for some time either. I've also been charged for some returned payments a couple of times over the past year. I'm also currently unemployed, claiming JSA and Housing Benefit although I've been teaching privately a few hours a week (I've declared that income to the jobcentre).

I was just wondering what people's experiences of applying for CDLs with poor credit history has been? Perhaps there's been someone in a similar situation to myself that can offer advice?

Thanks in advance...

ReputationRep:
    Having poor credit history shouldn't stop you getting a CDL. I know people with great credit history who got rejected and those with poor credit who got accepted. As long as you haven't missed any payments within the last few months you should be ok! Not sure exactly what criteria the banks use to decide who gets a loan but it seems that having some debt isn't much of a problem. I have some credit card and overdraft debt too but was still accepted. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Why waste your time and money doing a masters in music?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I did all of those online credit check things and apparently my credit rating is OK so it looks like I won't have too much trouble getting the funding.

@Gradbio: Why 'waste my time' you ask? Well, I got my PGCE 3 years ago and frankly I'm a little bored teaching at FE level so I figured a Masters' would be a great way to give me access to teach in HE. I also have my eye on a PhD and an MMus is the obvious preparation for that. My question to you is: Why waste your time posting snarky comments on internet forums? That's rather a sad thing to do isn't it?

Oh, you've been banned. Moron.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.