Turn on thread page Beta

I'm applying for a student account but don't know which bank to go with. watch

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations please?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the same boat. I think I might go with Halifax.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend joined Natwest last July to take advantage of their free railcard. After sending off all of his details and photos, along with months of badgering them to get his card, he still has no card. Be warned!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...k-account#best

About half way down, it allows you to compare the accounts.

I'm thinkiing natwest and rbs - free railcard? Don't mind if I do.

ReputationRep:
    Halifax gives out the biggest overdraft, I'm in third year got a 2grand overdraft. More than any of my mates.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest. The free railcard is phenomenal.

Don't go for the one with the biggest overdraft, that'll just make you want to use it. And once you're in it it's a pain in the neck to get out of (assuming you're using your loan on rent etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinLeigh)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...k-account#best

About half way down, it allows you to compare the accounts.

I'm thinkiing natwest and rbs - free railcard? Don't mind if I do.
    The free railcard's really good, you save about £130 over 5 years, and if you lose it then you only have to pay £10 for a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    I went with Halifax due to having all my accounts with them so it was the easiest option for me. Depends what you want. I get the train like 6-8 times a year so the rail card is no interest to me particularly.

ReputationRep:
    You can no longer get the railcard with Natwest this year as the deadline has expired

http://www.natwest.com/personal/stud...-benefits.ashx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    I went with Halifax due to having all my accounts with them so it was the easiest option for me. Depends what you want. I get the train like 6-8 times a year so the rail card is no interest to me particularly.
    How much would it have saved you each time?

I get a return back home ~5 times/year, and each time it saves me about £13, which is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chembob)
    You can no longer get the railcard with Natwest this year as the deadline has expired

http://www.natwest.com/personal/stud...-benefits.ashx
    That's for this year's applicants; they have a deadline each year then re-open the offer in August/ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    That's for this year's applicants; they have a deadline each year then re-open the offer in August/ish.
    Ah, brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    How much would it have saved you each time?

I get a return back home ~5 times/year, and each time it saves me about £13, which is awesome.

No idea, the train ranges between £15 - 27 a time, but I mainly get it at the £15 end of the scale. Not interested in an account with another bank just for that though.

ReputationRep:
    Santander are very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajmac)
    Halifax gives out the biggest overdraft, I'm in third year got a 2grand overdraft. More than any of my mates.
    Apparently it can be quite hard to get it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    Santander are very good
    I've had nothing but **** from them from 2 accounts. Student and a joint account.
    Already opened a new student account and changing from them.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the best time to apply is usually around results time so august because that's when the banks really start to compete for students..so isn't this a bit early?
    I may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    I would go with Halifax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I've had nothing but **** from them from 2 accounts. Student and a joint account.
    Already opened a new student account and changing from them.
    Oh, sorry to hear that, ive not had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    Santander are awful, not only for student accounts but all accounts!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.