Turn on thread page Beta

I'm applying for a student account but don't know which bank to go with. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishlarr)
    I thought the best time to apply is usually around results time so august because that's when the banks really start to compete for students..so isn't this a bit early?
    I may be wrong though.
    Yeah it is early, I talked to a Natwest worker about opening a student account, you have to be 18 and be able to prove the university you'll be at, so after you get the results in August and accept your place at university.

Wayyy too early to get one. Not to think about it though.

ReputationRep:
    i went with hsbc - underwhelming...

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want - larger overdraft, most interest for being in credit, freebies?

I accidentally have 2 student accounts, lloyds and natwest. Llloyds are nothing special tbh but it's the account I use the most and came with a free NUS card, which is something you definitely need at uni! Natwest came with a free railcard but ofc only go for this if you're planning to use the train a lot - I go home at the weekends a fair bit so it was definitely worth it for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinLeigh)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...k-account#best

About half way down, it allows you to compare the accounts.

I'm thinkiing natwest and rbs - free railcard? Don't mind if I do.

wait til july to apply for a student account, unless you wont be included for the free railcard.

loads of my friends applied in june after they received their conformation letters, and couldnt get one.

ReputationRep:
    The railcards are only £26 on their own for a year, don't see the point in opening a bank account when thats one of the only benefits.

I'm with Santander and had no problems with them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazz1993)
    Any recommendations please?
    I would go for Natwest, because most top universities (top 30 or so) all have a Natwest branch on campus or near it. This is not the only reason why I personally will be going for Natwest though. It is because they offer 1/3 off for Railcards, which again will give you 1/3 off for National Rail fares and it was recommended to me by friends who took it and were very satisfied with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    No idea, the train ranges between £15 - 27 a time, but I mainly get it at the £15 end of the scale. Not interested in an account with another bank just for that though.
    Fair enough. They also gave me a £1250 overdraft off the bat, which was the best at the time so that was another factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky.)
    The railcards are only £26 on their own for a year, don't see the point in opening a bank account when thats one of the only benefits.

I'm with Santander and had no problems with them at all.
    It's a 5 year railcard Natwest have a big overdraft too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Natwest. The free railcard is phenomenal.

Don't go for the one with the biggest overdraft, that'll just make you want to use it. And once you're in it it's a pain in the neck to get out of (assuming you're using your loan on rent etc.).
    I'm a bit tired of the generaliation that no student properly understands the concept of the student overdraft - it purely depends on the person. I'm not currently in my (pretty big) overdrafts, but I know I also wouldn't have been able to get by or do half the things I have done over the past year without them.

By all means, advise caution, but don't go around assuming everyone is as irresponsible as you seem to think you are.

(Original post by muffingg)
    I would go for Natwest, because most top universities (top 30 or so) all have a Natwest branch on campus or near it. This is not the only reason why I personally will be going for Natwest though. It is because they offer 1/3 off for Railcards, which again will give you 1/3 off for National Rail fares and it was recommended to me by friends who took it and were very satisfied with it.
    I'd be shocked if there wasn't a branch on or near the campus of any of the big banks at the top 30 universities. Not that people really need to use them much.

ReputationRep:
    Dont apply yet! Wait till you get your results through, thats when youll get the benefits each account offers, and it really doesnt take long to sort out so you dont need to worry that you wont sort it till august because it takes literally like 3 days (well it did for me anyway) but i would definitely recommend Natwest, especially if your going to be at uni quite far from home, because train travel back home again isnt cheap! Its done me a huuuuge favour having the card! and the overdraft is good too, people say get one with the biggest one, but really its not worth it, because once you max it then your kinda amazed how youve spent that much money, and anything you then earn (over summer) will just be to pay back the overdraft and youll gradually make your way back to zero!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I'm a bit tired of the generaliation that no student properly understands the concept of the student overdraft - it purely depends on the person. I'm not currently in my (pretty big) overdrafts, but I know I also wouldn't have been able to get by or do half the things I have done over the past year without them.

By all means, advise caution, but don't go around assuming everyone is as irresponsible as you seem to think you are.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a branch on or near the campus of any of the big banks at the top 30 universities. Not that people really need to use them much.
    In some cases you might have to go into town/city to get to the bank. And as I said, this isn't the only reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Fair enough. They also gave me a £1250 overdraft off the bat, which was the best at the time so that was another factor.
    Mine was £500 for first year and goes up each year, not sure what to as I've not even used the £500.

But yeah just go with what suits you best and not what suits others best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    It's a 5 year railcard Natwest have a big overdraft too.
    Ah nice, thats not too bad then!

ReputationRep:
    Natwest, for the railcard.

For current and savers accounts I recommend Nationwide, though.

ReputationRep:
    reviews for natwest are terrible so im steering clear of them. even if you have access to a big overdraft it doesnt mean your gonna be tempted (your gonna be tepted to use money you dont have either way). but if you do really need some money then you wont get charged masses amount of money. co-op give you a massive overdraft are reviews are good so i think although they dont give any freebies they are the best one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    Santander are very good
    i lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds TSB. CS + Benefits are excellent

If you want crap customer service go with Natwest, you have been warned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Lloyds TSB. CS + Benefits are excellent

If you want crap customer service go with Natwest, you have been warned.
    What's wrong with Natwest, what issues have you had? I've used them for 4 years and never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    Same here. NatWest for me!

ReputationRep:
    Will be Natwest for me too! I've had a normal account with them since i was like 12...no problems and the people in my local branch are fab

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 22, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.