Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm applying for a student account but don't know which bank to go with. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    What's wrong with Natwest, what issues have you had? I've used them for 4 years and never had any problems.
    My partner had big problems with them and I'm not going to go into it with someone I don't know (no offence). Truth be told customer service awful, head office awful, in the end had to get things sorted with the financial ombudsman.

But don't take my word for it, take some facts.

http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/ar...gh--800432367/

Natwest and RBS fined £2.8M last month for poor handling of customer complaints.

ReputationRep:
    However Lloyds are the best bank I've been with, and their standards are exemplary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    My partner had big problems with them and I'm not going to go into it with someone I don't know (no offence). Truth be told customer service awful, head office awful, in the end had to get things sorted with the financial ombudsman.

But don't take my word for it, take some facts.

http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/ar...gh--800432367/

Natwest and RBS fined £2.8M last month for poor handling of customer complaints.
    None taken, wasn't fishing for details or anything.

I've had issues with my circumstances etc. and they've always been great in my experience, but maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    None taken, wasn't fishing for details or anything.

I've had issues with my circumstances etc. and they've always been great in my experience, but maybe I'm just lucky in that regard.
    Well I'm pleased someone has at least had a positive experience with them.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go with Co-op but I also want a free railcard... decisions, decisions...

ReputationRep:
    So just because I'm a little confused about it all

The best time to apply for a student account is during the summer... So when we fill in Student Finance, do we just fill it in with our current bank details, then change it once we've got our new accounts?

ReputationRep:
    not sure about the other banks, but i'm on natwest.
    pretty decent, i get a free railcard for 3 years (i think?) so that's a bonus if you live away from home and travel alot.
    my overdraft the moment is 500 but they said i can increase it next year. it's interest free up to 3 months too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella37)
    not sure about the other banks, but i'm on natwest.
    pretty decent, i get a free railcard for 3 years (i think?) so that's a bonus if you live away from home and travel alot.
    my overdraft the moment is 500 but they said i can increase it next year. it's interest free up to 3 months too!
    Wow they made their overdraft **** these days. I got £1250 increasing to £2k max (that I didn't take them up on), interest free until I graduate.

ReputationRep:
    Not many people seem to be recommending HSBC. Is there a reason for this? You get a £1000 overdraft in the first year so it looks decent. No rail card but I have a 3 year one already so not fussed about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    My boyfriend joined Natwest last July to take advantage of their free railcard. After sending off all of his details and photos, along with months of badgering them to get his card, he still has no card. Be warned!
    Hmm, i'm with Natwest currently (not student account) but the guy who signed me up said that you have to open a student account in the month (s) the promotion is running or something. Could it be that?
    Considering this year i've been advised by them to come and open a student account after results day which is August and i'll apparently get my free railcard? Me no no.

Edit: Also take it up the chain maybe? In terms of trying to get the railcard.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the Co-op, I'm really happy with them, they don't have the showy freebies, but the overdraft is good (£1400 rises to £2000 in year 3) and they have seem more ethical and feel less like they are trying to screw you than other banks.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important to remember what happens after university as well. The graduate accounts should be in the back of your head when getting a student account. For example, Halifax offer up to £3,000 overdraft but you have to pay it all back the year after you graduate.

A good site to look at is www.studentbankaccounts.co.uk . It's got all the tables so you can compare what each bank offers. I guess it's all about choosing the right bank for you.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    Hmm, i'm with Natwest currently (not student account) but the guy who signed me up said that you have to open a student account in the month (s) the promotion is running or something. Could it be that?
    Considering this year i've been advised by them to come and open a student account after results day which is August and i'll apparently get my free railcard? Me no no.

Edit: Also take it up the chain maybe? In terms of trying to get the railcard.
    He did it within the timescale - he actually went in with his offer letters the day they arrived to sort out his bank account. Hopefully it was a one off and you'll get your railcard.
    Luckily he tends to get a lift when he comes home rather than needing to use the train.

ReputationRep:
    However Lloyds are the best bank I've been with, and their standards are exemplary.
    This. I'm with Lloyds at the moment and would be extremely reluctant to leave, but then they don't seem to offer a great student account in comparison to most other banks. £5 a month to use the interest-free overdraft is a pretty cheeky move too.

EDIT: May be a stupid question, but do the student accounts work in the same way phone contracts do. As in, could I go to Lloyds and mention how I'm tempted by Natwest's student account in order to get a few more incentives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)
    This. I'm with Lloyds at the moment and would be extremely reluctant to leave, but then they don't seem to offer a great student account in comparison to most other banks. £5 a month to use the interest-free overdraft is a pretty cheeky move too.

EDIT: May be a stupid question, but do the student accounts work in the same way phone contracts do. As in, could I go to Lloyds and mention how I'm tempted by Natwest's student account in order to get a few more incentives?
    Hi mate.

I don't know why you're paying that. Must be a new thing they've introduced as I pay nothing for my interest free overdraft though I opened my account in 2009.

And no it's unlikely you can barter with them like that but phone them up and say you think the overdraft charge is unfair and is there any way they can waiver it? The people on the phone are excellent and better than branch staff.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mate.

I don't know why you're paying that. Must be a new thing they've introduced as I pay nothing for my interest free overdraft though I opened my account in 2009.

And no it's unlikely you can barter with them like that but phone them up and say you think the overdraft charge is unfair and is there any way they can waiver it? The people on the phone are excellent and better than branch staff.
    I'm not paying it at the moment, someone earlier posted a link to a student account table, and that's what it said on there. I'm on a "Classic" account with Lloyds at the moment.

Sounds like a plan, although the people in my branch are brilliant, so may just pop in there for a chat :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)
    I'm not paying it at the moment, someone earlier posted a link to a student account table, and that's what it said on there. I'm on a "Classic" account with Lloyds at the moment.

Sounds like a plan, although the people in my branch are brilliant, so may just pop in there for a chat :P
    Yeah I have a classic account too. Do you use online banking? Their new money manager service is great.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have a classic account too. Do you use online banking? Their new money manager service is great.
    I do, only just signed up for the Money Manager thing though, still waiting on them to get back to me. Clicked "Register" and it just said thank you for showing interest, and that they'd get back to me. In all honesty I'm not hugely bothered about it, I know what I spend most of my money on, my statement's aren't very exciting. Basically get paid from a part-time job, spend on food and drink, repeat weekly. Most exciting thing on my account at the moment is a monthly Cancer Research payment. There's a growing list of bookies on there now actually, do you think Lloyds would ever bring that up? Especially when switching to a Student Account.

ReputationRep:
    I had a HSBC student account and it was fab! (Now a graduate account) Great service. Definitely shop around and check them all out to see which one suits you the best

Also you can get student railcards for £10 (if its the one you're talking about 16-24) much easier than getting from your bank. Online banking is a must, so easy to keep track of your money!

I've also heard good things about Lloyds!

ReputationRep:
    Natwest give a free 5 year rail card. Me and my brothers got them no problem.
    Their student account automatically becomes a graduate account on graduation with a further 3 years interest free in which to pay off your overdraft.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.