Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm applying for a student account but don't know which bank to go with. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)
    I do, only just signed up for the Money Manager thing though, still waiting on them to get back to me. Clicked "Register" and it just said thank you for showing interest, and that they'd get back to me. In all honesty I'm not hugely bothered about it, I know what I spend most of my money on, my statement's aren't very exciting. Basically get paid from a part-time job, spend on food and drink, repeat weekly. Most exciting thing on my account at the moment is a monthly Cancer Research payment. There's a growing list of bookies on there now actually, do you think Lloyds would ever bring that up? Especially when switching to a Student Account.
    I doubt it. But If I were you I'd make a seperate account for Matched Betting. I just use my student account for matched betting, as it's not my main account with them.

ReputationRep:
    To those saying it's too early to be applying:

Don't you have to put your bank details on your Student Finance application which has to be completed by the end of May?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine13)
    To those saying it's too early to be applying:

Don't you have to put your bank details on your Student Finance application which has to be completed by the end of May?
    You can enter bank details after sending off the application. Mine's been sent off and accepted/allocated, yet I still have to provide bank details 5 working days before the first payment date in September.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently looking for a student account as well but have decided to open a normal current account now and then upgrading to a student account after August 19th with the same bank.
    Torn between Lloyds TSB and Natwest, most seem to be siding with natwest because of the railcard but i'm not sure how often i'd use it, and if Lloyds is charging a fiver each month to use the interest free overdraft that's a little offputting!

ReputationRep:
    I know you're enquiring purely about student accounts regarding overdrafts and freebies, but you have to consider where you're money is going with certain banks, no matter what type of account it is. Be wary of the following banks:

HSBC: Although its social responsibility policy claims to "avoid certain types of business, such as financing weapons manufacture and sales", this beauty holds shares in the global weapons industry (including Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan and Colombia) totalling £450.6 million and over the last 10 years has been part of 43 syndicated loans to the arms sector worth £27.1 billion and involved in extracting fuels from Canadian tar sands in Canada, having a massive impact on the environment

Barclays: Has holdings in the global arms sector worth £7.3 billion AND also involved in the Canadian tar sands

RBS: Heads the lenders' funding of weapons companies, at £44.6 billion in the past decade.

Lloyd's TSB: As well as contributing billions to the arms industry, in 2009 Lloyd's contributed US$48.75 million to Lockheed Martin, a company involved in making cluster bombs.

HBOS: As well as the whole arms industry think AS WELL, Halifax bank of scotland also gives loans to companies which specifically produce depleted uranium munitions.

The co-operative bank is one of the the only mainstream banks who don't do any of this and they invest in greener technology and ethical corporations: http://www.fiohnetwork.org/campaigns/banks.htm

and they give you a pretty good student overdraft: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206375478,CFSweb/Page/Bank-CurrentAccounts

If you want to be taken in by the brighter shinier freebies and overdrafts of the banks I condemned above, be my guest, but I'm just giving you advice if you don't want people's blood on your hands (harsh but true :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marinated_in_Joy)
    I know you're enquiring purely about student accounts regarding overdrafts and freebies, but you have to consider where you're money is going with certain banks, no matter what type of account it is. Be wary of the following banks:

HSBC: Although its social responsibility policy claims to "avoid certain types of business, such as financing weapons manufacture and sales", this beauty holds shares in the global weapons industry (including Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan and Colombia) totalling £450.6 million and over the last 10 years has been part of 43 syndicated loans to the arms sector worth £27.1 billion and involved in extracting fuels from Canadian tar sands in Canada, having a massive impact on the environment

Barclays: Has holdings in the global arms sector worth £7.3 billion AND also involved in the Canadian tar sands

RBS: Heads the lenders' funding of weapons companies, at £44.6 billion in the past decade.

Lloyd's TSB: As well as contributing billions to the arms industry, in 2009 Lloyd's contributed US$48.75 million to Lockheed Martin, a company involved in making cluster bombs.

HBOS: As well as the whole arms industry think AS WELL, Halifax bank of scotland also gives loans to companies which specifically produce depleted uranium munitions.

The co-operative bank is one of the the only mainstream banks who don't do any of this and they invest in greener technology and ethical corporations: http://www.fiohnetwork.org/campaigns/banks.htm

and they give you a pretty good student overdraft: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1193206375478,CFSweb/Page/Bank-CurrentAccounts

If you want to be taken in by the brighter shinier freebies and overdrafts of the banks I condemned above, be my guest, but I'm just giving you advice if you don't want people's blood on your hands (harsh but true :P)
    Intresting, have you got a source on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky.)
    Intresting, have you got a source on this?
    Sure, if you google it you'll find stats in 10 minutes, but these are some useful websites:

ethicalconsumer.org
    waronwant.org
    banktrack.org
    http://makewealthhistory.org

ReputationRep:

Couldn't give a toss.

ReputationRep:

My friend works for Lockheed Martin. Does that mean I shouldn't be his friend?

What a ridiculous comment. People don't choose their bank account over ethics, they choose their accounts on what is going to get them the best service and value for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    My friend works for Lockheed Martin. Does that mean I shouldn't be his friend?

What a ridiculous comment. People don't choose their bank account over ethics, they choose their accounts on what is going to get them the best service and value for money.
    Don't assume everyone is like your 'people'. If you read my original comment, I did imply that it was irrelevant to an extent, but if you must know, many people are actually interested in where their money's going, don't assume everyone thinks entirely with their pockets. Of course many people don't care about the ethics of their banks, but what's wrong with telling people facts?

Edit: Again, what's wrong with with telling people facts? If the truth makes people's butt hurt so much you have to neg, I pity them.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Couldn't give a toss.
    Couldn't really give a toss that you couldn't give a toss. Some people do - I'm not shoving facts down people's throats, and if you can't handle my comment to such an extent that you actually have to TELL me that you don't care, obviously you have some growing up to do.

ReputationRep:
    even if you have no intention of using it, a big free overdraft can be profitable if you wack it in an ISA/savings and earn some interest right?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with HSBC. Been with them for a few years and find their service better than other banks I or family have dealt with (Barclays, Lloyds, Natwest, Santander). Free railcard would be handy if I used it but I bought a one year railcard last year and am yet to use it once, don't really need it myself.

I like the fact they haven't had to be bailed out either, not like they wont go belly up and ones who have been bailed out will, I just sort of appreciate it. Think they have announced they are moving their London 'headquarters' after recently denying rumours but hopefully that wont really change anything...

I just like good customer service from banks, nothing worse than having problems and struggling to solve them through not being able to get hold of the right people etc.

I don't think you get a huge amount out of ISA's at the minute but to be fair I have ones where you can take money out and put it in, the higher interest ones you can't withdraw your money so easy. The ISA I have you get about £1.70 per £1000 in the bank so its not huge considering overdrafts start at £1000.

ReputationRep:

I am a mature student and also need to get on the whole student account band wagon. I have been banking with the co-operative for years and can say easily they are the best bank I have ever been with for ease of banking and customer service (In the past I have used Barclays, Llyods and Natwest). There student account may not offer any shiny freebies, but the overdraft and rates seem good. I also am happy with the fact that that they are an ethical bank. A lot of people don't care about the ethics of banking, so I am glad I do my bit, no matter how small. If more people gave a toss, maybe the state of things would get a little better.
    I was tempted my some of the offers other banks give, but realistically what good are a few free music downloads or rail card that wouldn't cost the earth to buy anyway. At the end of the day you will be using your account for at least 3 years so think long term, not short term. Like others have said go with what suits you.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone here recommend a Santander student account?
    There is one on campus at Leicester Uni so it would be convenient

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    So it is possible to fill out all of my student finance forms and send it off without having opened a student bank account already?

Do I put in the details of my current bank account instead or is there an option to leave your bank details blank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePowerOfTruth)
    So it is possible to fill out all of my student finance forms and send it off without having opened a student bank account already?

Do I put in the details of my current bank account instead or is there an option to leave your bank details blank?
    I just put my current bank details. You can just log in and change the account details online as soon as you change your bank account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knitpixie)
    I just put my current bank details. You can just log in and change the account details online as soon as you change your bank account
    Ah that's good I'll get right on it tonight, thanks Pixie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePowerOfTruth)
    Ah that's good I'll get right on it tonight, thanks Pixie!
    No worries. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and its all signed and sorted already. It's quite scary how easy and quickly it all goes through. Just need to wait till August now to sort out the student account eeek! Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knitpixie)
    No worries. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and its all signed and sorted already. It's quite scary how easy and quickly it all goes through. Just need to wait till August now to sort out the student account eeek! Good Luck
    Ah god I know! I finally manned up and sent off my accomodation things (not sure if I'm mega late or not!) but that literally took me 10 minutes, I really wish I had've done it sooner! :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.