Turn on thread page Beta

I'm applying for a student account but don't know which bank to go with. watch

ReputationRep:
    NatWest give you 3 years after you graduate to pay off your overdraft, still interest free. That's the best deal out there I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest is the way forward dude. My whole family is with Natwest. They have branches all over and their service is second to none. You Dont have to wait very long in the queue when you visit a branch.

Ive even managed to convert my husband to Natwest - he was a staunch HSBC supporter. Until he realised how easy Natwest is.

Go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you really need a student account? Only asking because by I'm not 18 until next February, and by then first year will almost be over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Do you really need a student account? Only asking because by I'm not 18 until next February, and by then first year will almost be over!
    Natwest's current criteria for applying for a student account:

"You’ll need to:

* Have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years or more prior to commencing study
    * Have an Unconditional placement offer
    * Be an undergraduate, in the first year of your course"

Doesn't mention anything about age, so the fact you'll be 17 when you start shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm aware.

You don't need a student account, but it definitely helps. It's rare that you'll ever find a current account with the benefits of most student accounts, such as the free 5 year raild card, or the large interest-free overdrafts. Both of which can be a huge help for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)
    Natwest's current criteria for applying for a student account:

"You’ll need to:

* Have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years or more prior to commencing study
    * Have an Unconditional placement offer
    * Be an undergraduate, in the first year of your course"

Doesn't mention anything about age, so the fact you'll be 17 when you start shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm aware.

You don't need a student account, but it definitely helps. It's rare that you'll ever find a current account with the benefits of most student accounts, such as the free 5 year raild card, or the large interest-free overdrafts. Both of which can be a huge help for obvious reasons.
    Oh, thank you! I wasn't aware of this as I'm already with Santander and I know you have to be 18 to open one with them.

ReputationRep:
    Quite like the look of the co-op student account. Would you be tempted to go to the co-op?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvie)
    Quite like the look of the co-op student account. Would you be tempted to go to the co-op?
    my mum reccommends coop but barclays offer laptop, gadget and mobile insurance all for free so i want to go for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humbug5678)
    my mum reccommends coop but barclays offer laptop, gadget and mobile insurance all for free so i want to go for them.
    check your mum's house insurance, you may find your stuff is already covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humbug5678)
    My brother is with barclays, he says it's "ok" The overdraft with Barclays is only "up to" and not guaranteed unlike the co-op.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT GET INSURANCE FROM A BANK EVER! BANKS TRY TO FIND LOOPHOLES SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY UP IF YOU MAKE A CLAIM

.... better go to Endsleigh for Insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishlarr)
    I thought the best time to apply is usually around results time so august because that's when the banks really start to compete for students..so isn't this a bit early?
    I may be wrong though.
    you cant apply for a student account until you have been accepted unconditionaly anyway. i tried last year, but got declined and re applied for a student account on results day when i had my offer accepted completly.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Natwest. From the looks of their website/speaking to an adviser, the railcard might not be on offer next year (he said they will announce the offers they will have for September in July/August).

However I still really like them personally. I've always had very helpful, friendly, accurate and honest advice in both my home branch and my uni branch, and others that I've visited. The systems seem to be accurate, the online banking is very handy and easy to use, they offer 3 months paper statements free if you need them for identity purposes (even if you normally get online statements), they have lots of options (for example, you can set up another current account with them if you want to have one for rent/bills), they are also very common on campuses so chances are yours will have one, the overdraft is a good size and you have time to pay it back bit by bit after you graduate (not that I use it).

Generally I and everyone I know has always had good experiences with them, so they're who I'd recommend.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that lloydstsb is a very good one to go for this year, thats where i've applied, £500 fee-free overdraft for first 6 months going up to £1000 for months 7-9 then £1500 then on. Free Lava MiniSpeaker, music downloads, 3 years NUS Card and 3 years membership YHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    you cant apply for a student account until you have been accepted unconditionaly anyway. i tried last year, but got declined and re applied for a student account on results day when i had my offer accepted completly.
    You can already apply for a student account from Co-Op. It depends on the bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I'd say Natwest. From the looks of their website/speaking to an adviser, the railcard might not be on offer next year (he said they will announce the offers they will have for September in July/August).

However I still really like them personally. I've always had very helpful, friendly, accurate and honest advice in both my home branch and my uni branch, and others that I've visited. The systems seem to be accurate, the online banking is very handy and easy to use, they offer 3 months paper statements free if you need them for identity purposes (even if you normally get online statements), they have lots of options (for example, you can set up another current account with them if you want to have one for rent/bills), they are also very common on campuses so chances are yours will have one, the overdraft is a good size and you have time to pay it back bit by bit after you graduate (not that I use it).

Generally I and everyone I know has always had good experiences with them, so they're who I'd recommend.
    the railcard might not be on offer next year

This will be the third year they've said that beforehand then!

ReputationRep:
    You have to have an unconditional offer for natwest? What the actual f*ck.

Is it my fault that more students each year are applying for courses and meaning conditionals are becoming the norm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzza798)

Is it my fault that more students each year are applying for courses and meaning conditionals are becoming the norm?
    you tend to get an conditional if you still have to wait for results. its rarer to get an unconditional if your doing A levels until results day...

ReputationRep:

You do realise your conditional offer changes to an unconditional one if you get the required grades on results day?

ReputationRep:

epic fail!

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in the other thread but I guess we're using this thread now.

I was going to apply for the Natwest student account but read that the Co-op are the only bank to gaurantee the maximum OD limit. Can anyone confirm this?

link: http://www.beststudentaccounts.co.uk/?p=5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    the railcard might not be on offer next year

This will be the third year they've said that beforehand then!
    Oh that's cool then! I didn't look in to an account until about July/August so I didn't know whether they were secretive about it in previous years or not.

xxx

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.