epic fail!
    c'mon i didnt know
    :catfight:

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ro... oh no wait

ReputationRep:
    people need to stop going on about the railcard, it costs 60 for 3 years

ReputationRep:
    I chose to set up a Natwest account for my student loans and wages. It's really good because you get a 16-25 Railcard absolutely free. Had a bit of trouble uploading the pictures and waited a couple of months for it to come through but other than that. 3 of my flatmates and my best friend had no problem with their Railcards. A WORD OF WARNING THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO APPLY FOR THE RAILCARD BY A CERTAIN TIME!! I think the deadline was the start of November last year but I'm not 100% sorry. Hope this helps and enjoy your course and Uni. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison-claire)
    I chose to set up a Natwest account for my student loans and wages. It's really good because you get a 16-25 Railcard absolutely free. Had a bit of trouble uploading the pictures and waited a couple of months for it to come through but other than that. 3 of my flatmates and my best friend had no problem with their Railcards. A WORD OF WARNING THOUGH, YOU HAVE TO APPLY FOR THE RAILCARD BY A CERTAIN TIME!! I think the deadline was the start of November last year but I'm not 100% sorry. Hope this helps and enjoy your course and Uni. Good luck
    Natwest are only offering the railcard this year to existing customers with an adapt account.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992

I've applied for co op. Biggest guaranteed overdraft, highest acceptance rate, and I like their ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnajamie)
    people need to stop going on about the railcard, it costs 60 for 3 years
    Natwests deal is a 5 year rail card.
    5 years.
    And no one betters their overdraft repayment terms after you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Natwests deal is a 5 year rail card.
    5 years.
    And no one betters their overdraft repayment terms after you graduate.
    Halifax closely rivals it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Natwest are only offering the railcard this year to existing customers with an adapt account.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992

I've applied for co op. Biggest guaranteed overdraft, highest acceptance rate, and I like their ethics.
    Thank you for clearing that up, sorry I got it wrong and for confusing anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison-claire)
    Thank you for clearing that up, sorry I got it wrong and for confusing anyone
    I only found out last week.

Of course, it is possible that they might change that...

ReputationRep:
    I only found out last week.

Of course, it is possible that they might change that...
    guess we'll just have to wait and see Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I already opened a student account with Santander a couples weeks ago because that's where my current account is. I have £1000 overdraft and I get insurance on a few gadgets. But all you guys are saying Santander sucks, why is this ?

Which bank has the best student account? And can I open one there as well as having my one at Santander?

HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash6661)
    I already opened a student account with Santander a couples weeks ago because that's where my current account is. I have £1000 overdraft and I get insurance on a few gadgets. But all you guys are saying Santander sucks, why is this ?

Which bank has the best student account? And can I open one there as well as having my one at Santander?

HELP!
    You can't have more than one student account, if you wanted another, you would have to close your santander account first.

Personally, I'm going for Co Operative.

ReputationRep:
    You can't have more than one student account, if you wanted another, you would have to close your santander account first.

Personally, I'm going for Co Operative.
    Okay cool, is it easy to close it?

What do you get with the Co-op student account?

And are there any other good ones with good bonuses like free railcard and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    i'll be 17 when i start uni...anyone know if this causes problems with having a student account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash6661)
    Okay cool, is it easy to close it?

What do you get with the Co-op student account?

And are there any other good ones with good bonuses like free railcard and stuff?
    There are no extras or freebies with Co Op, but they have the highest guaranteed overdraft and the highest acceptance rate, and I like their ethics

Apparently RBS do a 3 year railcard... though I suspect, like Natwest, we are still waiting on their offers officially, and if you see a post of mine above, it seems natwest are only offering railcards to existing customers this year.

I've had a current account with santander since alliance and leicester changed and haven't had any problems, I found them very helpful when I had some fraud on my account. If santander have been good for you so far, you don't have to change because of opinions on a student forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwest)
    i'll be 17 when i start uni...anyone know if this causes problems with having a student account?
    Eeerm, pretty sure one of the criteria for having a student account is that you're 18 :/ Best thing is to go into a local bank and ask what your options are. Personally I'm going to go with Natwest since the free rail card is going to save me a ton and everything else looks pretty similar across the different banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Eeerm, pretty sure one of the criteria for having a student account is that you're 18 :/ Best thing is to go into a local bank and ask what your options are. Personally I'm going to go with Natwest since the free rail card is going to save me a ton and everything else looks pretty similar across the different banks.
    cool thanks, i'll pop into a bank once my exams are done. in terms of freebees natwest looks quite good although some offer better insurance and also nus cards which give you discounted rail card price

ReputationRep:
    How often do you use an NUS card at university? I'm an existing customer at Lloyds just weighing up whether I should upgrade or not.

ReputationRep:
    There are no extras or freebies with Co Op, but they have the highest guaranteed overdraft and the highest acceptance rate, and I like their ethics

Apparently RBS do a 3 year railcard... though I suspect, like Natwest, we are still waiting on their offers officially, and if you see a post of mine above, it seems natwest are only offering railcards to existing customers this year.

I've had a current account with santander since alliance and leicester changed and haven't had any problems, I found them very helpful when I had some fraud on my account. If santander have been good for you so far, you don't have to change because of opinions on a student forum.
    I've been with Santander since it was Abbey and that was the first account I had since I was a child. Last time I was in branch they said they were buying RBS sometime soon so I don't know if that will affect anything.

Railcard sounds good since my uni is a £100+ train journey from home but if they're only giving it to exsisting customers I won't be able to get it. When do banks announce what their student accounts are going to be like?

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of things to take into account with all the bank accounts. At the end of the day they all have their pros and cons so it's about choosing one to suit you I suppose.

Also, although Natwest offer one of the best repayment schemes after you graduate they are actually changing it as if next year I believe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 22, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.