Turn on thread page Beta

failed 5x tests but very good academically - do i have something wrong with me? watch

ReputationRep:
    hunnies

i sadly have just failed my 5th test.

1 = 3S 18M then one week later...
    2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

3= 1S 9M (two weeks later)
    4 = 1S 8M (one week later)
    5 = 1D 5M (one week later)

this is across 3 different test centres.

both my instructors say i dont need any more lessons and my driving is good, but i lack common driving sense ie if a car is coming toward me on a narrow road i would move to one side without necessarily cheacking my mirrors to ensure i dont go into a ditch or something.

i think i have aspergers syndrome, would this affect my driving?

im not dumb or anything, i have 11a*, AAABB in mainly sciences alevels, 1st class LLB law graduating at the top of my year, and multiple postgrad qualifiations. but i just have really bad spatial awareness and co-ordination? this affects my driving obviously and i am so terrible? my instructor has a client who is a senior doctor, who failed like 9x and now has to retake her theory

any advice

no nasty posts please beacuse i feel really sadd?

ReputationRep:
    you are female - thus cannot have aspergers.

Just keep going at them! I know loads of people who've taken many many many attempts to pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)

Wow, really? Interesting Fact.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just better at the academic stuff than practical stuff, like driving. Do you drive outside your lessons? Maybe driving with someone other than your instructor will help it feel more like a test, and you get someone else's perspective on what's your good/bad on good luck

ReputationRep:
    Men are more likely to suffer from aspergers but it's not exclusive.

Moving on... You just have terrible spacial awareness. Keep driving with your parents or whatever. At least your number of minors is falling, keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    hunnies

2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

both my instructors say i dont need any more lessons and my driving is good, but i lack common driving sense ie if a car is coming toward me on a narrow road i would move to one side without necessarily cheacking my mirrors to ensure i dont go into a ditch or something.

im not dumb or anything, i have 11a*, AAABB in mainly sciences alevels, 1st class LLB law graduating at the top of my year, and multiple postgrad qualifiations. but i just have really bad spatial awareness and co-ordination? this affects my driving obviously and i am so terrible? my instructor has a client who is a senior doctor, who failed like 9x and now has to retake her theory

any advice

You're probably just not that great at practical things; you're clearly not stupid as demonstrated by your impressive qualifications, but some people are just not cut out for driving.

Keep on trying though, the most amount of driving theory tests someone has had to take to pass was around 900 and that's before they even got round to the practical test! You'll be fine, just practice in a private car park in your own time if possible to hone your skills

ReputationRep:
    How does academic intelligence have any thing to do with spatial intelligence?? have you seen the number of chavs that are driving round in puntos and corsas (albeit the ones driving legally :p: )??

ReputationRep:
    It's just a completely different skill is all. I found my test a lot harder than any written exam because it's not like you can just rely on knowledge, you need good practical skills and need to be able to adapt to absolutely any situation. Keep trying

ReputationRep:
    yes, you're **** at driving

/thread

ReputationRep:

Just keep going at them! I know loads of people who've taken many many many attempts to pass.
    Uh, yes females can have it. It's alot more common in men but women still have it.

ReputationRep:
    hunnies

2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

any advice

I was going to say that you may just have had a few ******* test officials and/or bad luck on the day, though looking at the amount of faults you've received each time... I'd say you simply aren't ready.

If I had performed like that during a test, my instructor would have sentenced me to ten lessons or so to correct it. Nobody 'test ready' get's that many faults.

Not to comment on the 'I'm not thick' portion either, though having good GCSE grades etc doesn't signal anything about intelligence. This shows your very lack of intelligence and common sense. Not that intelligence has anything to do with driving anyway, seeing as how there are millions of planks on the road who don't have two brain cells to rub together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyisabutton)
    Some people are just better at the academic stuff than practical stuff, like driving. Do you drive outside your lessons? Maybe driving with someone other than your instructor will help it feel more like a test, and you get someone else's perspective on what's your good/bad on good luck
    no i wanted another perspective which is why i changed instructor after the first two. he also said i was very good and didnt need anymore lessons. he said in general my driving is excellent but every now and then i do things which are very wrong.

also my mates wont let me drive their cars since i posted on FB:

"XXXXX has just failed her fifth driving test and is a terrible and dangerous driver". (:top: 20 people like this; 15 comments: "omgggg" "wtf is this a joke" "how can someone be so dumb" )

(Original post by plastercaster)
    Men are more likely to suffer from aspergers but it's not exclusive.

Moving on... You just have terrible spacial awareness. Keep driving with your parents or whatever. At least your number of minors is falling, keep at it.
    woman can also have aspergers, i often have thought i have it but for other reasons. i also have no parents.

(Original post by philistine)
    I was going to say that you may just have had a few ******* test officials and/or bad luck on the day, though looking at the amount of faults you've received each time... I'd say you simply aren't ready.

If I had performed like that during a test, my instructor would have sentenced me to ten lessons or so to correct it. Nobody 'test ready' get's that many faults.
    seeing as i've had mock tests and assessment lessons from two different driving schools, and both say i am test ready and very good i sdont see how. but in the test i do brake harder and steer harder from nerves.

having good GCSE grades etc doesn't signal anything about intelligence. This shows your very lack of intelligence and common sense. .
    wtf???

Not that intelligence has anything to do with driving anyway, seeing as how there are millions of planks on the road who don't have two brain cells to rub together
    this is true but i didnt want people thinking i'm one of those people that just cant remember stuff, or lacks logical reasoning or cant udnerstand forces and braking distances. i can explain easily what i need to do step by step for example parking or roundabouts, but when it comes to doing it i go wrong. mainly in tests.

oh yeah, in a test, i was pulling wawy to move off. i stopped because a car was coming. that car stopped and the driver waved me to go. i drove off and the examinaer gave me a major? why is this bad? my instructor was also in teh car and everyone saw the guy waving at me to go.but they said it was major and i shouldnt have gone even though he let me?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, in a test, i was pulling wawy to move off. i stopped because a car was coming. that car stopped and the driver waved me to go. i drove off and the examinaer gave me a major? why is this bad? my instructor was also in teh car and everyone saw the guy waving at me to go.but they said it was major and i shouldnt have gone even though he let me?

To answer the original post, it sounds more like nerves getting the better of you than anything else. You have been told that in general, you drive well, but seem to do badly when tested. It sounds like you struggle when under a lot of pressure, which is only getting worse now you're onto your 6th test.

That doesn't mean you're stupid or a bad driver - just human. Try to deal with nerves before the test - doing lots of practice testing before can be useful. You also need to relax a bit - failing isn't the end of the world. I managed to go through almost all of my university career without being able to drive - didn't hurt me.

As for the major in that test - which direction was the car coming from, and where did you stop? Just in general, following an unofficial instruction (ie not from a sign or policeman) does not make your action right. If you'd stopped blocking the road, then that's why they gave you a major. Harsh, yes.

ReputationRep:

the reason you got a major is because you can't just rely on someone waving you through. Their wave doesn't mean it's safe to go. You probably didn't get your mirrors or blind spot before you pulled out, you just assumed that his wave meant go. Don't trust other drivers judgement, LOOK!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest having your instructor in the car, but I can see you've already done that. I don't know what to suggest. Maybe take a break from it? I know one of my friends ended up getting herself so worked up about the three tests she had failed, then took a year off and passed on her next test!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you keep taking tests a week or so after you've just failed one? Shouldn't you be trying to fix your mistakes before taking another test? And academic ability doesn't really have anything to do with driving ability...

ReputationRep:
    academic excellence has no bearing on one's ability to drive.

my tutors at my uni can + do all drive, but so can stupid premiership footballers.

ReputationRep:
    hunnies

2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

any advice

LOL. You might as well give up now LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    Why do you keep taking tests a week or so after you've just failed one? Shouldn't you be trying to fix your mistakes before taking another test? And academic ability doesn't really have anything to do with driving ability...
    cos my instructors in both schools both said there is no point in me having any more lessons as i am already of the right standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgeeyena)
    the reason you got a major is because you can't just rely on someone waving you through. Their wave doesn't mean it's safe to go. You probably didn't get your mirrors or blind spot before you pulled out, you just assumed that his wave meant go. Don't trust other drivers judgement, LOOK!
    no he had prority, he was coming down the road and stopped to let me pull away from the kerd. he waved, there were other cars behind him waiting. so i went. but it was wrong??:confused:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.