Turn on thread page Beta

failed 5x tests but very good academically - do i have something wrong with me? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    no he had prority, he was coming down the road and stopped to let me pull away from the kerd. he waved, there were other cars behind him waiting. so i went. but it was wrong??:confused:
    So he was behind you and let you go out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    academic excellence has no bearing on one's ability to drive.

i have now found this out, several thousand pounds and ego wounds later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgeeyena)
    So he was behind you and let you go out?
    yes, he stopped driving and waved me to pull out and waited for me.

but apparantly even if someone does this you should still wave them and let them go first otherwise you will keep everyone waiting behind the car that is letting you go. tbh i read n here about another dude who failed for doing this, but i thought the examiner he had was a jerk. apparantly not- these are the rules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kareir)
    Wow, really? Interesting Fact.

_Kar.
    Why do you end all of your posts with this _Kar. thing?

ReputationRep:
    yes, he stopped driving and waved me to pull out and waited for me.

but apparantly even if someone does this you should still wave them and let them go first otherwise you will keep everyone waiting behind the car that is letting you go. tbh i read n here about another dude who failed for doing this, but i thought the examiner he had was a jerk. apparantly not- these are the rules
    Well actually on your test you're not supposed to 'wave' anyone past you, due to what I said earlier about drivers assuming that means it's safe to go etc. Although of course everyone does that in real life driving. I can only wish you luck in your next test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Why do you end all of your posts with this _Kar. thing?
    I'd love to have a better reason than 'Cos it wont fit in my signature'... But I dont.

_Kar. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    you are female - thus cannot have aspergers.

Just keep going at them! I know loads of people who've taken many many many attempts to pass.
    Are you stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kareir)
    I'd love to have a better reason than 'Cos it wont fit in my signature'... But I dont.

_Kar. :ninja:
    I've never seen your sig. Admittedly I haven't seen that many of your posts...

ReputationRep:
    cos my instructors in both schools both said there is no point in me having any more lessons as i am already of the right standard
    Clearly, they're wrong. Take more lessons.

ReputationRep:
    hunnies

i sadly have just failed my 5th test.

1 = 3S 18M then one week later...
    2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

3= 1S 9M (two weeks later)
    4 = 1S 8M (one week later)
    5 = 1D 5M (one week later)
    You are improving though! What was your dangerous for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgeeyena)
    Well actually on your test you're not supposed to 'wave' anyone past you, due to what I said earlier about drivers assuming that means it's safe to go etc. Although of course everyone does that in real life driving. I can only wish you luck in your next test.
    so like i someoen is waving to let you go, you just sit there like a lemon until they understand you arent gonna???

and cheers dude, i wish myself luck in my 6th test

ReputationRep:
    so like i someoen is waving to let you go, you just sit there like a lemon until they understand you arent gonna???

and cheers dude, i wish myself luck in my 6th test
    Well you can't do that either because you'd probably get a fault for undue hesitation lol. I don't think it's possible to say one rule for every situation because of course every situation is different. On my test I had a similar situation where a large van stopped behind me and let me go first, I just gave a quick right signal for oncoming traffic to see, did my safety checks, thanked the driver and went ahead of him.

Btw your tests are improving so I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you get a few more hours practicing different situations before your next test. Have you booked it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrt23498)
    You are improving though! What was your dangerous for?
    i was driving in a very narrow country road, and a truck was coming in the other direction towards me. so i moved over as far as possible, but i did not check my mirror on the side furthest away from the truck. so the examiner had to grab the wheel to prevent me from going off-road into the muddy embankment near the ditchees

ReputationRep:
    Here's an example of the sort of person that shouldn't be on the road.

I think there should be a three strike policy - **** it up 3 times, no licence.

ReputationRep:
    hunnies

i sadly have just failed my 5th test.

1 = 3S 18M then one week later...
    2= 3S 15M

(changed to BSM)

3= 1S 9M (two weeks later)
    4 = 1S 8M (one week later)
    5 = 1D 5M (one week later)

this is across 3 different test centres.

both my instructors say i dont need any more lessons and my driving is good, but i lack common driving sense ie if a car is coming toward me on a narrow road i would move to one side without necessarily cheacking my mirrors to ensure i dont go into a ditch or something.

i think i have aspergers syndrome, would this affect my driving?

im not dumb or anything, i have 11a*, AAABB in mainly sciences alevels, 1st class LLB law graduating at the top of my year, and multiple postgrad qualifiations. but i just have really bad spatial awareness and co-ordination? this affects my driving obviously and i am so terrible? my instructor has a client who is a senior doctor, who failed like 9x and now has to retake her theory

any advice

no nasty posts please beacuse i feel really sadd?
    Academia is not everything in life.
    You just do not have a driving sense or common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are only book smart, but they can't do anything else but academics... know plenty of such people including those with 1st class degrees from Oxbridge.... usually can talk till kingdom cometh but when it comes to actually doing it....... good luck.

Anyway to the OP... instead of going for a big school like BSM, try for an independent instructor and maybe one that's female..... the other thing you could do is try selecting a different test centre.

Though I think you should be careful while on the road as having so many failures might be an indication that you may eventually have plenty of accidents on the road.

ReputationRep:
    I know this one girl who got all Es and below for GCSEs (only one E btw, rest below) and can hardly string a sentence together without using words such as "like", "innit", etc.

She passed her both her tests the first time. We were all shell shocked because most of us were getting As in AS levels and still failing.

Hard to explain isn't it?

You quite clearly have no common sense if you think academic talent is going to help you in practical skills such as driving.

I've been following your threads in this forum and while you've been trying hard, you ARE booking your tests too close together. You need time to figure out what you're doing wrong and sort it out. Your instructor isn't going to send you in for a test (which is easy money for them, remember. You're paying them £25 to sit in a waiting room) and say you're bad and won't pass. Their job at that point is to encourage you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Some people are only book smart, but they can't do anything else but academics... know plenty of such people including those with 1st class degrees from Oxbridge.... usually can talk till kingdom cometh but when it comes to actually doing it....... good luck.

Anyway to the OP... instead of going for a big school like BSM, try for an independent instructor and maybe one that's female..... the other thing you could do is try selecting a different test centre.

Though I think you should be careful while on the road as having so many failures might be an indication that you may eventually have plenty of accidents on the road.
    thanks, my last instructer was a female from a small school but used 4 hours a week of my lessons to gossip and not teach anything.

and yeah i've tried 3 test centres?

guys im lacking spatial awareness and driving sense. i cant manover a car into small spaces using the mirrors.

my current instructor says i understand how to drive but cannot excecute the actions even though i can explain step by step what to do, hence he has advised i spend no more than £300-400 on a car and i should expect it to get in a minor accident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    you are female - thus cannot have aspergers.

Just keep going at them! I know loads of people who've taken many many many attempts to pass.
    Just a correction here - women CAN have aspergers, it's just that men with aspergers outnbumber them 10:1.

OP, do more practice and try to be safe. I'm heading towards taking my test and my main problems are checking mirrors and observation generally, so I need to work on those.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.