Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

failed 5x tests but very good academically - do i have something wrong with me? watch

ReputationRep:
    its because there is no correlation between intelligence and passing a driving test.

(Original post by shinytoy)
    guys im lacking spatial awareness and driving sense. i cant manover a car into small spaces using the mirrors.
    Then under no circumstances should you be allowed on the roads on your own. You will crash every time you venture on the motorway if you can't use mirrors effectively.

(Original post by 0906079)
    I know this one girl who got all Es and below for GCSEs (only one E btw, rest below) and can hardly string a sentence together without using words such as "like", "innit", etc.

She passed her both her tests the first time. We were all shell shocked because most of us were getting As in AS levels and still failing.

Hard to explain isn't it?
    Maybe if you weren't so far up your own arses you'd see the road better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Then under no circumstances should you be allowed on the roads on your own. You will crash every time you venture on the motorway if you can't use mirrors effectively.
    uhhhhh....if i pass my driving test then i have a licence sayign i CAN go on the road on my own including motorways

uhhhhh....if i pass my driving test then i have a licence sayign i CAN go on the road on my own including motorways
    Yep, unfortunately. It's a flawed system. I guess I'll just have to hope I'm not on the same motorway as you, seeing as you effectively drive with your mirrors on there, which you apparently can't do.

ReputationRep:
    If you shot a gun 7 times and got it on target once, does that mean you should have a gun license? idiot you will kill us all.

ReputationRep:
    my current instructor says i understand how to drive but cannot excecute the actions even though i can explain step by step what to do, hence he has advised i spend no more than £300-400 on a car and i should expect it to get in a minor accident
    mmmm

your driving instructor is irresponsible.

sure its quite likely people have a parking ding/scrape in their first year of driving but not an actual accident.

expecting to have regular minor accidents is an indication of an unsafe driver.

you need at least a lot of practice driving on the road and if you still cant improve your awareness to a good standard then you need to accept that maybe driving is something your just not capable of doing.

I personally think we need a 2 stage test with second stage including motorway and country lane driving test as the current driving test does not equip young motorists to do that and a lot of people do not have the intelligence/skill/common sense/learning ability to translate a few supervised dual carriageway runs as a learner driver into learning how to handle motorways.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, my last instructer was a female from a small school but used 4 hours a week of my lessons to gossip and not teach anything.

and yeah i've tried 3 test centres?

guys im lacking spatial awareness and driving sense. i cant manover a car into small spaces using the mirrors.

my current instructor says i understand how to drive but cannot excecute the actions even though i can explain step by step what to do, hence he has advised i spend no more than £300-400 on a car and i should expect it to get in a minor accident
    Are you insane? Your driving instructor tells you to expect to crash, and you blithely taking test after test hoping to fluke it. I really hope you never pass your test, cos it sounds like you'd only be a danger to yourself and others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Are you insane? Your driving instructor tells you to expect to crash, and you blithely taking test after test hoping to fluke it. I really hope you never pass your test, cos it sounds like you'd only be a danger to yourself and others.
    dont 70% of driver have an accidents or near miss int he fist 6 months? i readit online

ReputationRep:
    Thought about investing in a bicycle?

ReputationRep:
    It's elementary understanding that your academic 'achievements' have no bearing on your spatial awareness and ability to drive a car. Either you're trolling, you're not as clever as your 'qualifications' would have us believe, or your showing off.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're just thick.

dont 70% of driver have an accidents or near miss int he fist 6 months? i readit online
    And only 1 in 5 get involved in an accident in their first year, but I expect none of them are told by their instructor before a test that they should expect to crash because of their lack of awareness. Accidents in the first year should be down to lack of experience, not lack of ability. If you cannot perceive where something is in relation to you, you should not be allowed a pink license.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea if that's true, but it's still no excuse for trying to get a license when you know full well that you're an incompetent driver. How good or bad other drivers are has no bearing on your particular case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    you are female - thus cannot have aspergers.

Just keep going at them! I know loads of people who've taken many many many attempts to pass.
    Just because she's female it doesn't mean she can't have aspergers.

I have dyspraxia and statistics show that it's more common in boys. I've only met 3 other people with it and they have been girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Just because she's female it doesn't mean she can't have aspergers.

I have dyspraxia and statistics show that it's more common in boys. I've only met 3 other people with it and they have been girls.
    my mate is also a first class law grad but she has dyspraxia and has given up driving, she just couldnt do ANYTHING in a car

ReputationRep:
    Shinytoy maybe your hastiness to pass is making you make mistakes on the day. You just need to relax and take things slowly. If your brain is racing on the day of the test, you don't have room to think, you get panicky and make mistakes.

Edit: you could ask doctor for beta-blockers if you panic.

ReputationRep:
    my mate is also a first class law grad but she has dyspraxia and has given up driving, she just couldnt do ANYTHING in a car
    Aww, she shouldn't give up. I managed on 6th test on a manual, I'm a good and confident driver.

ReputationRep:
    1 in 5 have a crash within the first year... and there's no way an instructor should be telling you to buy a cheap car because you'll probably crash :eek:
    Neither should you be expecting to crash, if you have that attitude you do not in any way deserve to pass your test because you're a danger to other responsible drivers on the road.

ReputationRep:
    yes, he stopped driving and waved me to pull out and waited for me.

but apparantly even if someone does this you should still wave them and let them go first otherwise you will keep everyone waiting behind the car that is letting you go. tbh i read n here about another dude who failed for doing this, but i thought the examiner he had was a jerk. apparantly not- these are the rules
    I had a similar situation in my final test, the other car flashed me to go through, I then said to the examiner; that guy flashed me can I go. He said do what you think is right. I didn't get a fault for it.

Maybe next time just point out to the examiner that the other person has let you go.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.