Turn on thread page Beta

BMI Accuracy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked my bmi through this website http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bm...ator/bmi.shtml and apprantetly i'm obese at 30.5 bmi.

I'm 6ft4 and 18 stone but I wouldn't classify myself as obese, I could lose a few pounds don't get me wrong but i've asked people for a unbiased opinion and they say I look built and muscly rather than fat so should I take the bmi with a pinch of salt?

ReputationRep:
    its fairly much a load of ****.
    it takes in to account if youre "average"

my gf is 5'2 and had an eating disorder and dropped to 13 although now shes at 19 and is much better. still hella skinny but has some curves now.
    myself i used to swim a lot before i fully developed and have really broad shoulders. im not as fit as i used to be but still fairly toned, and show up about 26 on the BMI. even though i look fairly toned and slim.

also the entire english rugby team comes up as morbidly obese

dont let it get to you

ReputationRep:
    I think for general populations it's a reasonable guideline, and for sedentary individuals. If you do any kinda sport, definitely take it with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    it is rubbish cuz it doesnt take into account muscle etc... so just ingore it really... the only time you should maybe look at it is if your a couch potato doing absolutely no exercise and not able to run far.... and if you look fat but tbh if your 6ft 4 then id say ignore it

ReputationRep:
    BMI is a 'guideline' only, it doesn't take into account people who are heavy with muscles rather than fat. Definitely take it with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    BMI is a good general guidline for the majority of the population - there are exceptions to this rule of course and doctors have already identified that it does not accurately apply to sportspeople.

That said however given we have no picture of you op you could be 18 stone of fat for all I know, you may look 'built' in a shirt but I have heard the same said of many a person who is actually just fat.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't eat too much salt.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.