Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys.

I have a feeling I might start rambling on but I'll try and be as concise as possible and get straight to the point.

I'm (almost) a 23 year old University Graduate who has practically zero work experiance. One of the reasons for this is I've had some health problems since my mid-teens. It was a degenerative disease so my situation worsened as time passed. Basically, during this period I never felt like I was in a position to be able to work. I was however able to continue on with my studies. I went to University and was able to graduate with a 2:1.

Unfortunately though, in my final year, things got pretty rough, so I decided as soon as I was done with Uni I would go ahead and have the Surgery I needed. So yeah, that's exactly what I did. In the 18 months or so, since I've graduated, I've had two operations done.

Anyway, I'm fully recovered now, fit and healthy. And in the first stages of my job-hunt. But I'm just getting very worried about my CV. There's just very little I can put on it, certainly no work-experiance.

It's a complex issue, 'cause it kinda implies that if it wasn't for my health problems then I'd have tons of experiance, which is obviously not the case, I may never have been able to find a job regardless. But at the same time, it's a shame most employers are gonna look at my CV, and just completely disregard it and see me as some kind of lazy bum, who'd never done a days work in his life.

I mean, I always knew it would be extremely difficult, hence why I'm looking at some volunteer jobs, asking around friends and family to see if theirs any temp/trainee positions they know of, I may do some waiting, etc. basically, I'm going about it like I'm a 16 year old, just starting out, as opposed to a Uni Grad going for the big jobs.

But yeah. I guess I'm just looking for some words of advice, really. I just feel like I'm totally screwed at this point.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.