Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for my first car to buy and I seen an 04 plate fiat punto 1.2 active. It has around 75,000 miles on the clock so I was just wondering would it be ideal for my first car or is it a waste of time. Also what do you guys look at when use are buying a car?

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the condition of the car. Well driven and well maintained at 100k is often going to be better at poorly driven and maintained at say 40k miles. Get someone with some knowledge of cars to have a look at it and have a read around for common faults.

ReputationRep:
    Usually at 100,000 it will start to die.

Depends on whether it's diesel or petrol, how well it's been looked after etc

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably clock up about 22,000 miles a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig 1888)
    I am looking for my first car to buy and I seen an 04 plate fiat punto 1.2 active. It has around 75,000 miles on the clock so I was just wondering would it be ideal for my first car or is it a waste of time. Also what do you guys look at when use are buying a car?
    I usually wouldnt go for anything with over 90k miles. Mainly because it has already done quite a lot of miles, even before you buy it. 75k seems reasonable enough. My car ive got now (which ive had for 5/6 months) had done 70k when i got it. As well as the amount of miles its done though, id also look at the condition, as even if it has done more miles than you would want- if it has been looked after it isnt too bad. I wouldnt buy anything thats in bad condition and hasnt been looked after- even if it hasnt done a great deal of miles.
    You are looking at a punto i see. Even though they are good cars and are value for money etc, I wouldnt get one. Although newer cars arent as bad, fiats are known for dodgy electrics. I had my punto when i passed my test a year ago- and i only had it about 7 months. Pretty much everything that could go wrong with it did. And it wasnt simple things that went wrong- which my dad (who knows a lot about cars) could fix. It was nearly all electrical stuff which would have to be taken to a proper garage and plugged in to find out whats up then get fixed. Then there was the time it broke down on me and there was a list of about 3/4 things that could be wrong, that was the last straw then, i had to get rid. Get something else if i were you. Like a nissan micra, hyundai getz or a kia picanto.

ReputationRep:
    Brand new from the showroom .
    Oh yeah, being rich is great.

ReputationRep:
    Mine has 105k miles on it right now, and it drives just as well as one with 60k (actually the same car, minus trim levels).

It is a diesel but this kind of mileage has the added bonus of having most of the consumables (usually) recently replaced, such as the cambelt, and usually the clutch and flywheel too.

Don't get too caught up about it, and remember that larger cars are more likely to have done some of the miles on the motorway, which is many times better for the car than town driving.

As for the car you mention in the OP, I'd go for one closer to 60k miles since you're more likely to sell it on before you reach the 'replace expensive things' zone.

ReputationRep:
    I've never ever bought a car on milage.
    General condition is far more important.

Which is the better car? A car with 300k on the clock that's been regularly serviced and looked after or a car with 5000 miles on the clock that has been thrashed and stuffed into a hedge 2 or 3 times?

Swings n roundabouts.

ReputationRep:
    I've never bought a used car..... but 75k isn't terribly high mileage but it's also when a lot of wear and tear parts begin to fail or require replacement.

But for starters, check the service history... make sure it can be verified, loads of fakes these days. If you're satisfied with that, then give the car a HPI check.

Best thing to do is to bring it to your trusted mechanic and ask him to give it a once over. Usually he would be the best person to gauge if the car is in good condition or not and if it isn't then how much money you would need to make it right..... then either get the seller to lower the price in accordance with the amount of things that need to be fixed or get him to put it right before buying. That's what I had all my overseas student friends do when they were planning to get a car in this country.

ReputationRep:
    My first car was a 1990 Land Rover with 170k on the clock. It'd led a hard life - I had to replace the driver's door hinges and catch because the hinges were so worn the door sagged in the frame. The rear diff screamed at you on the dead spot going into overrun and the steering had a good inch - two inches of play in it but it started every morning and never failed to get me to where I needed to go. My current car has 195k on the clock on it's original engine and gearbox - cars were made far better back in the 60's As others have said, mileage doesn't tell you much. The general condition of the car and how it feels to drive will tell you a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    got a friend selling a vaxhall astra 1.6 sxi, has 140000 miles is it worth buying for my first car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris1312)
    got a friend selling a vaxhall astra 1.6 sxi, has 140000 miles is it worth buying for my first car?
    No

ReputationRep:
    75,000 that's hardly left the dealership my lowest milage car was rolls royce silver shadow i had for six months and it had done 4,000 since 1987 but i would buy a car up to 300,000 on the clock

ReputationRep:
    If it's German, (VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes) the mileage wouldn't really matter it would run as new whether it's 20 miles or 200,000, anything else look for under 60k miles unless it's heavily discounted for anything over.

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago called, they want their thread back :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    75,000 that's hardly left the dealership my lowest milage car was rolls royce silver shadow i had for six months and it had done 4,000 since 1987 but i would buy a car up to 300,000 on the clock
    Wow, what a hustler you are...

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean... a high milage means it's be used as a working car i.e. building trade, courier or taxi so they have to keep car running to survive so they spend out on the best so selling a car like that is a day's work
    (Original post by shaymarriott)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    Don't believe a word jamesthehustler says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Don't believe a word jamesthehustler says.
    I'll try not to! It's just that he sounds so believable...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.