Turn on thread page Beta

Bragging about marks on Facebook? watch

Does anyone else get this?

I don't tend to post marks for essays etc on Facebook or feel the need to tell loads of people when I get a brilliant mark.

Anyway the reason I mention it is because I got a great mark and felt fantastic; then some fellow students started posting theirs which was a bit higher and I didn't feel so great anymore (which is daft, I know). Am I being harsh: should they post about their achievements as freely as they want or is a bit egotistical?

ReputationRep:
    Your friends sound really sad.

... You sound even sadder

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with posting grades that you're proud with. Going too far such as boasting all the time and whatnot is probably too far.

Something like "Yay 80% " is fine imo. I never post my grades (even though they're awesome ) just because I doubt anyone cares about them.

ReputationRep:
    No problem at all. Its just a new way to brag to people, and its always going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Its only uncool if you don't like your own status afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    It is at best inconsiderate of those who have done badly, at worst egotisical.
    Showing off on TSR is fair game though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone else get this?

I don't tend to post marks for essays etc on Facebook or feel the need to tell loads of people when I get a brilliant mark.

Anyway the reason I mention it is because I got a great mark and felt fantastic; then some fellow students started posting theirs which was a bit higher and I didn't feel so great anymore (which is daft, I know). Am I being harsh: should they post about their achievements as freely as they want or is a bit egotistical?
    It shouldn't really matter what other people if you are pleased with your mark then go ahead and be pleased with your mark. In my second year at uni I got a 62% on an essay which is probably the best mark I have ever got in my life and I later on heard that the tutor who had marked my paper and the others on the module had been complained about cos she gave everyone really bad marks most of which were still higher than mine. You shouldn't care what other people got if you are anything like me there are always going to be people who have or expect higher grades because everyone is different. if you are proud of your mark that is great and no one else should be able to put dampener on that.

On the original question I never posted my marks on facebook unless someone asked on facebook, and I never knew anyone who did post marks on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    the solution to your problem takes only 14 days...
    just sign up your account for deletion and then wait two weeks.
    No more bragging, no more facebook!

ReputationRep:
    Bragging about anything is never cool, imo. Its a pointless excerise of vanity and superiority.

ReputationRep:
    When I was your age, Facebook didn't even exist for us to post our marks on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it's a big deal. revise more,you'll get better grades and you won't need to be jealous

ReputationRep:
    I never did it but I think its fine to post the big ones like (based on alevels) jan exams, Coursework, AS grades and A2 grades but not say mocks, homework and so on

ReputationRep:
    maybe just post the grades but I don't see the point posting the actual ums marks as long as you get the grade

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with it, why shouldn't someone be proud of their grades if they worked hard, I've sometimes put mine up, because it's just easier than having everyone ask me a million times. It's not their fault if someone else got lower grades, if they have a problem with it why not just 'hide' the person on the news feed and study a bit harder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    When I was your age, Facebook didn't even exist for us to post our marks on.
    On the other hand, back in the good old days, you still shared your marks by word of mouth. The most common sentence I always hear on results day is a variation of "What did you get?"

ReputationRep:
    nah i get all of that grade bragging out of my system here!

ReputationRep:
    It's no more ******y than doing it on TSR , but then doing it on TSR is pretty ******y.

ReputationRep:
    If it's at the end of a year why not? Doing it for every little thing would becomes tedious though. Let's face it, most people's status will involve marks at the end of the year. I've seen one guy post his marks on someone else's wall. Someone who always put him down. Just as a big **** you - was quite appropriate really, I laughed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    we discuss marks in person, I wouldn't just state out of the blue "yay 85%! on X module test". If people were stating them already I might put mine though.

ReputationRep:
    It's just uncool. There isn't really anything else to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.