Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone know likelihood of strike going ahead tomorrow? watch

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, all I am being told is that it "might" go ahead. It is really annoying me because I have a presentation to give tomorrow and don't know whether to prepare for it or not. If the strike goes ahead, my presentation is postponed until next week (which would be awesome as I have an interview to prepare for on Thursday with a law firm!).

Does anyone have any better information about whether it will be going ahead?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I found out in my uni that there will be a strike on Thursday so I have no lessons but it's still going on.

ReputationRep:
    My lecturers say it's going ahead, and have done since the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I came here to ask about this. My school sent out an email a few days ago and repeated it today. It says:

Dear Student,

You may have heard that the Universities and Colleges Union (UCU), the trade union which represents academic and senior administrative staff in Higher Education, has called for industrial action to take place this week, on Tuesday 22nd and Thursday 24th March.

The University will take all reasonable steps to minimise the disruption to scheduled lectures, tutorials and laboratories on these days. However, some services may not be available and some activities may have to be rescheduled, possibly to the next week, so please check your City e-mail and SMS regularly for further information. Where it is not possible to reschedule activities, the University will ensure that materials to help in your studies (such as PowerPoint slides) are made available as quickly as possible via Moodle - the Strategic Learning Environment.

I have no idea what this means! I mean, it seems to me that the strike is most probably going to go ahead, despite the school's wishes. I'm not going to waste money on travel if my professor's going to walk out the minute I get to class.

I found this article in the Guardian, which includes a bit about my school:

An email sent to staff at City University, from the institution's director of human resources, states that colleagues will have their pay deducted if they go on strike and will be breaching their contract if they do not fulfil all their work duties.

It asks staff to inform their dean or director if they intend to go on strike.
    Hm, that's not very nice of them.

I'm not really bothered either way -- it's an important day of class so that's unfortunate, but (while not knowing enough about this specific issue) I tend to think unions should do what they have to do. But above all I am really busy right now so a day off would be heaven.

Edit: Some info from my school here: http://city.ac.uk/legal/ucu_strike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teatime45)
    I found this article in the Guardian, which includes a bit about my school:

Hm, that's not very nice of them.

I'm not really bothered either way -- it's an important day of class so that's unfortunate, but (while not knowing enough about this specific issue) I tend to think unions should do what they have to do. But above all I am really busy right now so a day off would be heaven.

Edit: Some info from my school here: http://city.ac.uk/legal/ucu_strike
    I work at a university (although I'm not part of the UCU so I'm not on strike). The issue is that there have been changes to pension schemes that means that most people are going to be getting less than they originally thought, jobs are being cut and the pay increase that was negotiated was only 0.4%. The strike was called because the employers refused to go to ACAS arbitration. There will also be strike action on Thursday, across the UK.

As for it not being fair to have their pay deducted, it's perfectly reasonable. If you don't go to work for a day, why should you get paid for that day?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.