• View Poll Results: Is it really fair?
    Yes as young male drivers are more likely to crash
    8.41%
    No as young female drivers are much less likely to crash
    35.51%
    yes its fair as males and females should be treated equally
    56.07%

ReputationRep:
    7 weeks ago I passed my full practical driving test aged 19 and from then i knew that the next obstacle for me and for many other new young (male) drivers out there was the insurance. 1 week after I had passed my test I had a friend offering me to buy his 2001 1.3 ford fiesta zetec. It was a nice color, had the 5 doors I wanted and had a nice modern look to it for a reasonable price of £550. However the day before I was due to purchase the car I made a few enquirers on the insurance, and though I knew it would be expensive I hadn't realized just how much. My most expensive quote was in region of £35,000 per year with all the others about £7,000-£9000, though there was one quote that was cheapest at still a high cost of £5,000 per year.

I thought a 1.3 small car like a ford fiesta would be one of the cheapest on the market to insure, I'd expect the quotes I got to be more for a lexus ( Lexus only cost £4,500 2 years ago) than a fiesta. If I'm being quoted that for a fiesta imagine the cost for say a 1.6-8 ford focus or so?! maybe in region of £1,100 a month! No-one in my family who live local will let me be added as a named driver on the policy except my brother but he had had a few claims so I doubt i'd get it much cheaper anyway.

So anyway back on subject, I was pleased to hear that the European Union has decided that within the next 2-3 years girls will be paying the same insurance prices as boys (yes! no more of them Sheilah's wheels adverts). Its only fair though, I mean at the minute young female drivers are paying 2-3 times less to insure their motors than young male drivers.

your views please....

ReputationRep:
    £35,000!? :lolwut: you sure you didn't enter in a lamborghini or something!?
    fair enough to be honest. my girl mate passed one day and crashed the next. we are just as much of a risk and deserve to pay a similar price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    £35,000 :lolwut:
    fair enough to be honest. my girl mate passed one day and crashed the next. we are just as much of a risk and deserve to pay a similar price
    Thank you! Some one with some sense!

A girl from my old sixth for wrote off 2 cars within 3 months :|

ReputationRep:
    I agree we should pay similar/the same but the insurance prices are ridiculous. So instead of just hiking girls insurance prices up to meet the mens prices, they should be re-assessed and maybe a different system put in place to decide how much of a risk someone is.

The whole 'we're changing the prices because it's sexist' is a little hypocritical of the government - after all, we're still charged extortionate prices simply because we're 17, 18, etc. Surely to wipe out sexism from insurance prices they should wipe out ageism from it too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Thank you! Some one with some sense!

A girl from my old sixth for wrote off 2 cars within 3 months :|
    oh my! then again, more of my guy mates have had their car completely smashed to bits than girls. I think guys are more likely to have more dangerous/expensive crashes but less often and girls have more frequent accidents but they tend to be less costly :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    tbh though everyone will be paying the price of this, not only does this cover car insurance but all other types of insurance that discriminate in any way (i.e. certain races are more prone to certain deseases etc). So overall EVERYONE will be paying more in the long run. Tbh the worst affected people will be the parents with kids learning to drive... Right thanks guys for screwing up the insurance :/

Plus it used to mean men paid less car insurance in later life compared to women but this will no longer be the case.

ReputationRep:
    £35,000!? :lolwut: you sure you didn't enter in a lamborghini or something!?

No it was defo a 1.3 fiesta. That's what I'm saying though, you wouldn't expect that type of quote for something little like a fiesta. I think it was the AA that gave me that quote the ****ers. My lowest quote was about £5,000, still not happy with that by far tbh

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid imo... I think instead of raising the cost of insurance for female drivers they should lower it for males. Then everyone would be happy!

ReputationRep:
    It's about time, less insurance has got them thinking they're better drivers:rolleyes: LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posietoes)
    It's stupid imo... I think instead of raising the cost of insurance for female drivers they should lower it for males. Then everyone would be happy!
    except the insurance companies who are just trying to make as much moneys as posssible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    except the insurance companies who are just trying to make as much moneys as posssible
    They make enough as it is

ReputationRep:
    Insurance quotes are based on statistics so I don't have a problem with girls paying less. The anecdotal evidence of people saying 'I know a girl who crashed twice!!!' don't really mean much lol. But for the record, I know more than ten guys who wrote off their cars age 17-18, and don't know of any girls who have.
    So I think the changes are daft.

ReputationRep:
    Hmph. I'll only agree with the rise in insurance cost when the pay gap is decreased and us women start getting paid the same wages as men.

ReputationRep:
    I think guys are more likely to have more dangerous/expensive crashes but less often and girls have more frequent accidents but they tend to be less costly :dontknow:
    This.

tbh I think it's silly. Insurance prices are done based on statistics, not sexism.

ReputationRep:
    Guys are much more likely to have a serious/costly crash, usually because they're showing off, where as girls do more silly little things, i don't think the costs should change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    Hmph. I'll only agree with the rise in insurance cost when the pay gap is decreased and us women start getting paid the same wages as men.

Ridiculous! Men and women who work in the same workplace with the same job role get paid the same wages each other. completely outta the blue there:eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's much fairer this way. No one sex is better at driving than the other.

I now await girls to respond with "But the statistics show this" and all this rubbish. If you say that I refer you to simple biology. Men are the better drivers, but men are also more likely to be testosterone driven show-off risk takers. For that reason all the boy racer tits out there who drive with their gonads drag down our average to be about the same ability as girls.

So girls if you get the statistics out look this one up, girls have more crashes than guys. Its an undisputed fact. For every boy racer out there there's a girl who's constantly hitting kerbs and walls and bumps and scrapes trying to park. My friend drives like a complete boy racer, yet hes never crashed once (god knows how) and all the girls seem to have hit a wall or a car trying to park at one point.

Although I don't dispute that guys cost more money, all it takes is one idiot, one guy in my year wrote off his car rolling it in a ditch driving like a nonce. Then he bought a new car which was even modified and he didn't hide this fact from the insurance company, and he got it insured for less than I could insure an old banger having just passed my test. He got his insurance on a newish modified car having just made a claim for writing the old one off for less than I could insure a piece of junk just because he'd had his license just over a year.

Thats why our system is wrong punish the individual not the gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    What makes you think women are not already paid the same wages? The same wages for the same work, that is (which I presume you mean).

ReputationRep:
    Women drivers should get no cheap insurance by default. I see too many women drivers who lack the spacial awareness so crucial for driving at different speeds, especially in car parks.

The human brain reacts to movement and change, this does not apply to women it seems and that includes zebra crossings.
    Granted I have come across male drivers (as a pedestrian) who have failed to see the zebra but women just look forwards, dont look to the sides or acknowledge anyone by the side of the road.

its dangerous to children below 5ft in height.

Women also hug the steering wheel most often than not, further reducing their field of vision bya large degree.

If you fail to udnerstand the dangers most women pose on roads just go out in the morning during shcool hour and same again for when school ends. Guaranteed school run mums doing their upmost to be terrible drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bognor-regis)
    Insurance quotes are based on statistics so I don't have a problem with girls paying less. The anecdotal evidence of people saying 'I know a girl who crashed twice!!!' don't really mean much lol. But for the record, I know more than ten guys who wrote off their cars age 17-18, and don't know of any girls who have.
    So I think the changes are daft.
    In that case make the premiums for people who write off cars at a young age much higher. No doubt those 10 guys were all bombing round the city center at 10 at night with a car full of people and music blaring going nowhere in particular.

Why punish the male who just passed his test and drives completely safely and normally, when he's no more handicapped or less able than a girl in the same position, just because a minority of his peers go hit a £50,000 BMW in their Saxo driving with a heavy right foot.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.