Yes as young male drivers are more likely to crash
    8.41%
    No as young female drivers are much less likely to crash
    35.51%
    yes its fair as males and females should be treated equally
    56.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    7 weeks ago I passed my full practical driving test aged 19 and from then i knew that the next obstacle for me and for many other new young (male) drivers out there was the insurance. 1 week after I had passed my test I had a friend offering me to buy his 2001 1.3 ford fiesta zetec. It was a nice color, had the 5 doors I wanted and had a nice modern look to it for a reasonable price of £550. However the day before I was due to purchase the car I made a few enquirers on the insurance, and though I knew it would be expensive I hadn't realized just how much. My most expensive quote was in region of £35,000 per year with all the others about £7,000-£9000, though there was one quote that was cheapest at still a high cost of £5,000 per year.

I thought a 1.3 small car like a ford fiesta would be one of the cheapest on the market to insure, I'd expect the quotes I got to be more for a lexus ( Lexus only cost £4,500 2 years ago) than a fiesta. If I'm being quoted that for a fiesta imagine the cost for say a 1.6-8 ford focus or so?! maybe in region of £1,100 a month! No-one in my family who live local will let me be added as a named driver on the policy except my brother but he had had a few claims so I doubt i'd get it much cheaper anyway.

So anyway back on subject, I was pleased to hear that the European Union has decided that within the next 2-3 years girls will be paying the same insurance prices as boys (yes! no more of them Sheilah's wheels adverts). Its only fair though, I mean at the minute young female drivers are paying 2-3 times less to insure their motors than young male drivers.

your views please....
    But there's a reason.
    Older drivers cost less to insure because statistically the have fewer accidents.
    Female drivers cost less to insure because statistically they have fewer accidents.

Now girls subsidise the fact that guys are STATISTICALLY more likely to have accidents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    oh my! then again, more of my guy mates have had their car completely smashed to bits than girls. I think guys are more likely to have more dangerous/expensive crashes but less often and girls have more frequent accidents but they tend to be less costly :dontknow:
    Probably, why is it that a stupid minority ruin it for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahahahaha..........go od.

That's my only response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying saucers)
    But there's a reason.
    Older drivers cost less to insure because statistically the have fewer accidents.
    Female drivers cost less to insure because statistically they have fewer accidents.

Now girls subsidise the fact that guys are STATISTICALLY more likely to have accidents.
    If the same were true of black people would it be fair to charge them more for their insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    Saw a woman in Sainsbury's today trying to bay park a Nissan navara in front of me. She had no idea of the length of her vehicle or where the corners were. It's not like you can really control which car people buy, but I do think there should be a lot more testing of manoeuvres in the driving test, I actually felt like I should move or risk getting rammed today.
    Women and big cars/4x4s. Do NOT get me started, I have run a gauntlet of cars like these in car parks and I had to literally eyeball/face-off the woman behind the wheel in order to get my presence across.

"I AM RIGHT HERE YOU DAFT BINT!". Shouted that once and she almost hit someone else soon afterwards.

Everyone is moaning their insurance is going up, mine is going down lol

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous! Men and women who work in the same workplace with the same job role get paid the same wages each other. completely outta the blue there:eek:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    What makes you think women are not already paid the same wages? The same wages for the same work, that is (which I presume you mean).
    I'm talking about overall wages - here and here. I rest my case.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    7 weeks ago I passed my full practical driving test aged 19 and from then i knew that the next obstacle for me and for many other new young (male) drivers out there was the insurance. 1 week after I had passed my test I had a friend offering me to buy his 2001 1.3 ford fiesta zetec. It was a nice color, had the 5 doors I wanted and had a nice modern look to it for a reasonable price of £550. However the day before I was due to purchase the car I made a few enquirers on the insurance, and though I knew it would be expensive I hadn't realized just how much. My most expensive quote was in region of £35,000 per year with all the others about £7,000-£9000, though there was one quote that was cheapest at still a high cost of £5,000 per year.

I thought a 1.3 small car like a ford fiesta would be one of the cheapest on the market to insure, I'd expect the quotes I got to be more for a lexus ( Lexus only cost £4,500 2 years ago) than a fiesta. If I'm being quoted that for a fiesta imagine the cost for say a 1.6-8 ford focus or so?! maybe in region of £1,100 a month! No-one in my family who live local will let me be added as a named driver on the policy except my brother but he had had a few claims so I doubt i'd get it much cheaper anyway.

So anyway back on subject, I was pleased to hear that the European Union has decided that within the next 2-3 years girls will be paying the same insurance prices as boys (yes! no more of them Sheilah's wheels adverts). Its only fair though, I mean at the minute young female drivers are paying 2-3 times less to insure their motors than young male drivers.

your views please....
    Im not a big fan of the insurance prices going up for girls because that means my insurance will be higher than it already is. £35,000 for an insurance quote though, you must have dont something wrong. I saw something in the sun newspaper and some lad had been quoted £24,100 for car insurance. It turned out that the aa (who the quote was from) had made a mistake.
    I think insurance for young drivers (boys and girls) is ridiculous. I mean i know some young drivers are boy/girl racers and write off cars and have crashes etc. But everyone has to start somewhere, we are the ones with the least experience. And we arent that bad. Ive seen plenty of middle aged/older drivers who are just as bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying saucers)
    If what the OP is saying is true.

How are women subsidising men if mens insurance costs are staying the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Im not a big fan of the insurance prices going up for girls because that means my insurance will be higher than it already is. £35,000 for an insurance quote though, you must have dont something wrong. I saw something in the sun newspaper and some lad had been quoted £24,100 for car insurance. It turned out that the aa (who the quote was from) had made a mistake.
    I think insurance for young drivers (boys and girls) is ridiculous. I mean i know some young drivers are boy/girl racers and write off cars and have crashes etc. But everyone has to start somewhere, we are the ones with the least experience. And we arent that bad. Ive seen plenty of middle aged/older drivers who are just as bad.

I don't think many young girl drivers are pleased with the rise in insurance tbh. The AA insurance who quoted that lad £24,100 are the same ones that quoted me £35,000.
    Yes your right there are many older drivers (maybe nearly as many as young)that make many driving errors and get involved in road traffic accidents so I think that perhaps they should see a rise in their insurance as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    It's much fairer this way. No one sex is better at driving than the other.

I now await girls to respond with "But the statistics show this" and all this rubbish. If you say that I refer you to simple biology. Men are the better drivers, but men are also more likely to be testosterone driven show-off risk takers. For that reason all the boy racer tits out there who drive with their gonads drag down our average to be about the same ability as girls.

So girls if you get the statistics out look this one up, girls have more crashes than guys. Its an undisputed fact. For every boy racer out there there's a girl who's constantly hitting kerbs and walls and bumps and scrapes trying to park. My friend drives like a complete boy racer, yet hes never crashed once (god knows how) and all the girls seem to have hit a wall or a car trying to park at one point.

Although I don't dispute that guys cost more money, all it takes is one idiot, one guy in my year wrote off his car rolling it in a ditch driving like a nonce. Then he bought a new car which was even modified and he didn't hide this fact from the insurance company, and he got it insured for less than I could insure an old banger having just passed my test. He got his insurance on a newish modified car having just made a claim for writing the old one off for less than I could insure a piece of junk just because he'd had his license just over a year.

Thats why our system is wrong punish the individual not the gender.
    Um, what? Contradictory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    So why does that actually matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tits&Acid)
    Um, what? Contradictory?
    Ok I'll rephrase, 'Better technical ability'

Easiest demonstration is the reason women find it so much harder to park than men, the reason is spatial awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Well on one hand it's all based on figures, I doubt the insurance companies would (intentionally) **** that up when there's money on the line, but then again it does seem stupid to decide something like this on gender. It seems more sensible to me to base it on years of driving experience (or something similar that's more individual-orientated) so as not to rely on generalisations.

But I'm not driving atm anyway, so it doesn't really affect me. Might change my tune when I actually learn and pass my test (if I ever do :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    Ok I'll rephrase, 'Better technical ability'

Easiest demonstration is the reason women find it so much harder to park than men, the reason is spatial awareness.
    But that's still entirely a generalisation. Granted, I'll give you that a lot of women I've experienced are crappy drivers but then so are a lot of men. You can't just say all women lack spacial awareness, and similarly can't say that those without spatial awareness are bad drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tits&Acid)
    But that's still entirely a generalisation. Granted, I'll give you that a lot of women I've experienced are crappy drivers but then so are a lot of men. You can't just say all women lack spacial awareness, and similarly can't say that those without spatial awareness are bad drivers.
    No you cannot which is exactly why in my original post I clearly said it should be done on an individual basis somehow not punishing everyone for some people.

The points you just raised are exactly why its fairer now that its not allowed to charge different amounts for men and women. Not all teenage guys are worse than teenage girls

ReputationRep:
    Insurance for males will decrease by about 10%. Insurance for females will increase by about 40%.

That means insurance companies make more money, and every two-parent household becomes slightly poorer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    An irrelevant comparison based on the false premise that comparing people across differing career paths. We shouldn't expect both genders to automatically follow career paths in half and half structures and that they will half and half split the wage rates there.

The fact of the matter is that the same person for the same job is paid identical. Statistics are dragged down because many women still choose to give up their job and raise a family or move into (relatively) poorly paid careers like teaching vs. banking. The avenues of banking are still (and rightly so) open to those that wish to, it simply happens that less females go down that path.

In fact to demonstrate how ridiculous these sorts of claims are and to bring back the relevance to the debate at hand, if we wanted to claim that we're justified in keeping insurance the same, employers should be able to disregard female or male workers as less suitable simply because on average less women or men are in their profession. As you can see, something which would be patently ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreveryoung01)
    Guys are much more likely to have a serious/costly crash, usually because they're showing off, where as girls do more silly little things, i don't think the costs should change.
    Funny, so you seem to agree that men are at a higher risk of having crashes and therefore pay for it in the premium, but women always ***** about getting paid less, and ignore the fact that they are much more likely to get ill, and can become pregnant, which represents a higher risk to the employer, which transpires to a lower wage. Sound fair now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    An irrelevant comparison based on the false premise that comparing people across differing career paths. We shouldn't expect both genders to automatically follow career paths in half and half structures and that they will half and half split the wage rates there.

The fact of the matter is that the same person for the same job is paid identical. Statistics are dragged down because many women still choose to give up their job and raise a family or move into (relatively) poorly paid careers like teaching vs. banking. The avenues of banking are still (and rightly so) open to those that wish to, it simply happens that less females go down that path.

In fact to demonstrate how ridiculous these sorts of claims are and to bring back the relevance to the debate at hand, if we wanted to claim that we're justified in keeping insurance the same, employers should be able to disregard female or male workers as less suitable simply because on average less women or men are in their profession. As you can see, something which would be patently ridiculous.
    Meh. I'm just taking the role of the annoying feminist by pointing out that if on average women earn less than men (irrespective or career), then surely it would make sense that on average women be charged less?

But yes, I do see the logic in your post. And if I was in charge of this insurance malarky, I'd lower mens insurance (so us women don't have to pay more) - but to compensate charge people more for insurance after they've crashed (of course, depending on the severity of the claim - this would *hopfully* make the roads safer)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.