Yes as young male drivers are more likely to crash
    8.41%
    No as young female drivers are much less likely to crash
    35.51%
    yes its fair as males and females should be treated equally
    56.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    Meh. I'm just taking the role of the annoying feminist by pointing out that if on average women earn less than men (irrespective or career), then surely it would make sense that on average women be charged less?
    So you penalise men further for going for lower paid careers then? Unless you suggest insurance should be done on ability to pay which would of course kill stone dead the insurance industry, the ability to pay should be a problem of the driver not a burden the insurance company.

(Original post by Lintu93)
    But yes, I do see the logic in your post. And if I was in charge of this insurance malarky, I'd lower mens insurance (so us women don't have to pay more) - but to compensate charge people more for insurance after they've crashed (of course, depending on the severity of the claim - this would *hopfully* make the roads safer)
    In an ideal world yes, but insurance companies are businesses, and the primary goal of a business is to make money unfortunately, so this just isn't going to happen in practice. If they only lower rates they make less money meaning the company eventually goes under.
    Aint economics a b*tch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    So you penalise men further for going for lower paid careers then? Unless you suggest insurance should be done on ability to pay which would of course kill stone dead the insurance industry, the ability to pay should be a problem of the driver not a burden the insurance company.

In an ideal world yes, but insurance companies are businesses, and the primary goal of a business is to make money unfortunately, so this just isn't going to happen in practice. If they only lower rates they make less money meaning the company eventually goes under.
    Aint economics a b*tch?
    Indeed, it is. There must be some way to solve this solution without angering either women or men, but also without killing the industry...

Also, what happens at the moment if you are trans-gender, or genderless? Do you get to chose?

ReputationRep:
    Insurance will never be made to go down .. the government makes money from it...........

ReputationRep:
    females are better by being more safe than us at driving dude let's face it # sad fact

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with changing it at all. Assuming the reason men payer more is that they are statistically significantly more likely to have costly accidents, then how is it any different to the other factors insurance companies use to assess the level of risk?

For example, they charge young people more based on the fact that statistically they have more accidents, so I don't see how that's any different to the gender thing and how they can justify getting rid of one and not other similar policies. The difference between charging young people more and charging men more, in my opinion, is that sexism is considered very un-PC, whilst people aren't as concerned about ageism towards young people.

Also, it's not sexism, as sexism is discrimination based on stereotypes or assumptions, whilst insurance prices are, presumably, based on statistical fact.

ReputationRep:
    I think the EU should keep their big corrupt, unelected noses out of things.

In other news they're changing the rules about "typical APR" rates, from 66% of applicants to only 50%. Now that's really going to help consumers...

****ing idiots.

ReputationRep:
    As a male I believe it is unfair how us male car owners are treated by insurance companies because of a minority of idiots. However, I think insurance companies like energy companies really do rip people off and just because we have to pay high premiums doesn't mean girls should too just for equality. So rather than one gender gets fuked up the ass every year now both will.

The government in my opinion should intervene and sort these companies out as well as take measures to stop the ambulance chasing legal firms which insurance companies have links too and the scam artists. And while I welcome this ruling which means my insurance may go down in the future, I do not welcome the EU dictating anything to this country.

This issue, like all others should be decided in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splotch)
    Also, it's not sexism, as sexism is discrimination based on [false] stereotypes or assumptions, whilst insurance prices are, presumably, based on statistical fact.
    I agree with the idea, but in other cases no such distinction is tolerated. For example, like you say, "age discrimination" - and I mean that in a neutral sense, i.e. recognising differences between people of different ages, is fairly well accepted.

Sex discrimination is much less tolerated, but still acknowledged in part. Many people still have the courage to admit that men and women are different (such as in this way, with car accidents), but we're moving away from being able to say that.

Now when it comes to race discrimination, well, if you give any hint that you think there are real statistical differences of any sort between different races, you are absolutely ****ed. Your career, if any, will be over and you're basically finished as a person.

It doesn't really have much to do with the "science" or presence of factual differences. I could say that blacks have lower IQs than Northern Europeans, and that is an absolute fact, but it would get me ****ing murdered if I spoke it in real life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.