Turn on thread page Beta

Haven't told new employer about my dyspraxia watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been offered a graduate job with a global consultancy. I had to do psychometric tests which passed well with no reasonable adjustments. I didn't tell them about my learning difficulty because I feared not being given a chance. I went for the interview which appears to have gone really well.

Anyway I start the job next week, I still haven't told them I suffer from dyspraxia. I don't really think there are any reasonable adjustments that need to be made on the job. The only thing I'd maybe ask for is for them to allow me to use a dictaphone at meetings but then they might query why.

Is it important that I tell them about my dyspraxia? I'm so confused

ReputationRep:
    if you passed the interview and have gotten the job then they cannot sack you for having dyspraxia or any other medical complication. the equal opportunity laws will protect you so you should be fine, i would however recommend telling them before anything comes up which you may not be able to handle. if they know prior to anything happening then they will be able to help you with whatever you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antoastew)
    if you passed the interview and have gotten the job then they cannot sack you for having dyspraxia or any other medical complication. the equal opportunity laws will protect you so you should be fine, i would however recommend telling them before anything comes up which you may not be able to handle. if they know prior to anything happening then they will be able to help you with whatever you need.
    Until you've been employed a year employment protection laws don't apply at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Until you've been employed a year employment protection laws don't apply at all.
    That's interesting, where did you see that?

Do you have a source I can refer to?

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend.
    Up to a year you can be dismissed without reason.
    The Tories want to extend it to 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend.
    Up to a year you can be dismissed without reason.
    The Tories want to extend it to 2 years.
    Oh, if you are going to post things on threads can you please not post nonsense. I knew you'd have no source.

I keep up with disability laws and have never seen any of the rubbish you are spouting.

No, people cannot be dismissed without reason.

Get lost.

ReputationRep:
    :sigh:

Please know what you're talking about before commenting.

(Original post by babygirl110)
    Oh, if you are going to post things on threads can you please not post nonsense. I knew you'd have no source.

I keep up with disability laws and have never seen any of the rubbish you are spouting.

No, people cannot be dismissed without reason.

Get lost.
    He's not 100% incorrect but he is referring to unfair dismissal. What he doesn't take into account is the DDA.

To claim for unfair dismissal you usually need to have worked for your employer for at least one year. See the last paragraph under the heading.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...unfair_dismiss

As you can see, there are exceptions to this rule. One of those exceptions is if you have been disciminated against.

This is why the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 is in place. It would be quite a useless piece of legislation if it only protected the employee after one year. It protects the employee from the day they commence.

In fact, it's not actually solely employment legislation., so you're also protected in the application stages (as discrimination can still occur when applying for a job) and when accessing various services (shops, cinemas, clubs....)

It's up to you whether or not to tell them. If you want them to make reasonable adjustments then, yes, it's important you tell them about the dyspraxia. They obviously can't make adjustments unless you inform them.

If you inform them and they refuse to make appropriate adjustments (whether that's the use of a dictaphone or some alternative) without justification then you'll have legitimate grounds for further action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :sigh:

Please know what you're talking about before commenting.

He's not 100% incorrect but he is referring to unfair dismissal. What he doesn't take into account is the DDA.

To claim for unfair dismissal you usually need to have worked for your employer for at least one year. See the last paragraph under the heading.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...unfair_dismiss

As you can see, there are exceptions to this rule. One of those exceptions is if you have been disciminated against.

This is why the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 is in place. It would be quite a useless piece of legislation if it only protected the employee after one year. It protects the employee from the day they commence.

In fact, it's not actually solely employment legislation., so you're also protected in the application stages (as discrimination can still occur when applying for a job) and when accessing various services (shops, cinemas, clubs....)

It's up to you whether or not to tell them. If you want them to make reasonable adjustments then, yes, it's important you tell them about the dyspraxia. They obviously can't make adjustments unless you inform them.

If you inform them and they refuse to make appropriate adjustments (whether that's the use of a dictaphone or some alternative) without justification then you'll have legitimate grounds for further action.
    Okay thanks.

I think I've seen you posting before and correct me if I'm wrong but you also have dyspraxia?

Just curious what you would do if you were in my situation, would you tell them from day one? What would your reasons be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    I think I've seen you posting before and correct me if I'm wrong but you also have dyspraxia?
    Officially yes :p: There was some discussion as to whether the features of Asperger's I have is enough to warrant a diagnosis of Asperger's instead of dyspraxia. But dyspraxia was left as the official diagnosis. I've never really "felt" dyspraxic, whatever that means :p: My brother, who is also diagnosed, seems more typically dyspraxic. But we're all affected to different degrees and in different ways I 'spose. It's a continuum.

Just curious what you would do if you were in my situation, would you tell them from day one? What would your reasons be?
    In the past I always disclosed when applying for jobs so that once starting they knew (back before I was diagnosed with dyspraxia - but I h ave other medical conditions/disabilities diagnosed before then). I've stopped doing this as I began to suspect I was being discrminated against. I'm aware it's illegal and it was only a suspicion. Although a strong suspicion in one case.

So now I don't disclose when applying (unless I need reasonable adjustments for the application stage - something I cannot forsee).

As for once I've started a job, it really depends. If I feel reasonable adjustments are needed (e.g. the use of a voice recorder) then I will inform them as I don't wan't to be disadvantaged. In any reasonable company there shouldn't be any reason for me to suspect

If I don't feel I need any adjustments, which is most likely, I will not disclose even once I've started as I feel it is of little to no relevance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Officially yes :p: There was some discussion as to whether the features of Asperger's I have is enough to warrant a diagnosis of Asperger's instead of dyspraxia. But dyspraxia was left as the official diagnosis. I've never really "felt" dyspraxic, whatever that means :p: My brother, who is also diagnosed, seems more typically dyspraxic. But we're all affected to different degrees and in different ways I 'spose. It's a continuum.

In the past I always disclosed when applying for jobs so that once starting they knew (back before I was diagnosed with dyspraxia - but I h ave other medical conditions/disabilities diagnosed before then). I've stopped doing this as I began to suspect I was being discrminated against. I'm aware it's illegal and it was only a suspicion. Although a strong suspicion in one case.

So now I don't disclose when applying (unless I need reasonable adjustments for the application stage - something I cannot forsee).

As for once I've started a job, it really depends. If I feel reasonable adjustments are needed (e.g. the use of a voice recorder) then I will inform them as I don't wan't to be disadvantaged. In any reasonable company there shouldn't be any reason for me to suspect

If I don't feel I need any adjustments, which is most likely, I will not disclose even once I've started as I feel it is of little to no relevance.
    Okay thanks for the response!

I suppose I can just see how things go.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.