Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon or delete.

I have been very miserable over the last couple of years. I suffer from confidence issues and don't have much faith in myself. The only time I feel happy is when I am out with my friends drinking.

It's like I seem to have a new wave of confidence. Whenever I start to drink alcohol, I am more chatty, friendly and even interact with strangers.

This effects me, because during the week I get anxious and await the weekend and I always fear that for some reason no one will be up for going out. It's like I can't wait to go out and start drinking again. I spend a lot of money on it, too. Minimum of £40 every weekend.

Am I alone with this?

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure what your point is, you have made it clear you're a lager lout, minimum £40 a weekend on alchohol, i can only hope you fix up n find something relevant to get sober for!

ReputationRep:
    just be more chatty and outgoing when youre sober. you've obviously got personality so stop hiding it!

ReputationRep:
    You need to take steps to make life bearable even when you're sober, before you descend in to full-blown alcoholism. Nothing wrong with having a fun drink with friends, but if you depend on drink... That's not good.

im like this to the extent that i hold back when im drunk because im embarrassed by only talking when drunk

(Original post by imomo16)
    You need to take steps to make life bearable even when you're sober, before you descend in to full-blown alcoholism. Nothing wrong with having a fun drink with friends, but if you depend on drink... That's not good.
    So would you say I have a problem? :\ Many of my friends drink too, but I'm not sure they look forward to it as much as I do.

For example, the other night, we all went to the pub to watch football and had a few beers, but then I went and bought Jagerbombs despite most stopping after three pints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

I have been very miserable over the last couple of years. I suffer from confidence issues and don't have much faith in myself. The only time I feel happy is when I am out with my friends drinking.

It's like I seem to have a new wave of confidence. Whenever I start to drink alcohol, I am more chatty, friendly and even interact with strangers.

This effects me, because during the week I get anxious and await the weekend and I always fear that for some reason no one will be up for going out. It's like I can't wait to go out and start drinking again. I spend a lot of money on it, too. Minimum of £40 every weekend.

Am I alone with this?
    Take up an extreme sport, or join a sports team.

It will take up time on weekends, give you confidence and above is great for mental health

ReputationRep:
    call A.A

(Original post by bestofyou)
    Take up an extreme sport, or join a sports team.

It will take up time on weekends, give you confidence and above is great for mental health
    Yeah I would like to join a sports team. Like I said, a lot of it is confidence though. I do go to the gym (weights) during the week. Take my anger out and that lol.

ReputationRep:
    So would you say I have a problem? :\ Many of my friends drink too, but I'm not sure they look forward to it as much as I do.

For example, the other night, we all went to the pub to watch football and had a few beers, but then I went and bought Jagerbombs despite most stopping after three pints.
    If you're only happy when you're drinking, then I would say you have a problem, yes. You must be a bit concerned to have made this thread in the first place, right? What is it about your life that makes it so miserable, and unbearable to face sober?

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this. It was a horrible time in my life. One of the lowest periods. The thing that snapped me out of it was realising how truly pathetic I looked as sometimes I'd even go out by myself if no one else would come. I was actually behaving this way because a boy I was completely in love with didnt like me back yet he wouldnt actually tell me this leading on to false hope and so much heartache. What you need to do is figure out why you're doing this, why you're only happy when you're drinking and fix that problem.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would like to join a sports team. Like I said, a lot of it is confidence though. I do go to the gym (weights) during the week. Take my anger out and that lol.
    sounds like you would benifit from a combat sport, ever tried boxing or mma

Anon or delete.

Am I alone with this?
    Ignore people saying that you are an alcoholic. From what you have said the problem clearly stems from confidence rather then some sort of psychological or physical addiction although ofcourse it could blossom into one or the other.

As you have identified, the root problem is confidence and it is this that needs to be addressed. I know it is easy to rely on the liberating feeling that you get from not being concerned about peoples opinions of you when drunk, but continuation of this will lead to some really bad times and experiences. You should find something that makes you feel good about yourself, but what this entails is completely down to you. I went abroad, and removed myself from the environment for a short time. I didnt immediately get a rush of confidence, but the experience taught me that my perceived issues were partly in my head and also partly down to who I mixed with and slowly I have begun to have nearly complete confidence in myself. I still like to party and drink a lot, but it is now on occasion and I can drink a small amount without having to then drink more!

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete.

Am I alone with this?
    im also guessing you are single and not getting any..

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete.

Am I alone with this?
    Weed > Alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I sure can relate to what your saying. wish i had the fix for it :-(

ReputationRep:
    Would recommend this book:

'Dying for a drink' by consultant psychiatrist Dr Tim Cantopher
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Anon or delete.

Am I alone with this?
    I wouldn't say you're alone with this, drinking affects everyone in different ways, on the majority part, it makes them feel good.

Speaking from personal experience, during my first year of university, I just couldn't wait to get out sometimes. The idea of just going out and letting loose felt fantastic. Just knowing that once I drank, I became a different person and just stopped worrying about everything and what not and all I can tell you is, it becomes an addiction. I no longer rely on drink to make me feel happy or give me that same feeling. You just have to try and replace that feeling instead of using drink. Go out with your friends but have fun doing different things and if you're going to drink, find cheaper alternatives. Set yourself a budget for a mont and what not.

You aren't alone, alcohol makes the majority of us feel the same way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.