The Student Room Group

UMS and raw marks - how is it calculated?

I got 124/140 UMS in a January exam. I've had a look at the exam script I requested back and I achieved 56/70 marks. I assume to get the UMS mark, the raw mark is simply doubled.

I don't quite understand this. Surely it should be 112/140 then? Where did these extra marks come from?
Reply 1
Grade boundaries were lower
Here is a UMS Marks converter.

Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by The Dude 321
Here is a UMS Marks converter.

Hope that helps

nice but do include 40 50 60 70 80

it would be much more accurate then

the generally tend to work out A, C and E and then interpolate and extrapolate the rest
Reply 4
the ums conversion changes depending on the exam. one year a mark of 10/30 could be a C, the next year it might be an E, its all relative as to how well everyone nationally did.
Reply 5
it depends... but if it says you have 80 UMS then it means you're just on the grade boundary for an A... or 70 UMS means just on the grade boundary for a B etc. etc. that's all i know! on the aqa website they have a ums thing so you can put in your raw marks and see how many ums you got and how far into the grade you were.
Original post by yabbayabba
I got 124/140 UMS in a January exam. I've had a look at the exam script I requested back and I achieved 56/70 marks. I assume to get the UMS mark, the raw mark is simply doubled.

I don't quite understand this. Surely it should be 112/140 then? Where did these extra marks come from?

It's different for every paper.

Say the raw mark for a paper is 70 and UMS is 100.

If the grade boundaries are low so that 35=A then they'll give you the number of UMS you need for an a which is fixed.(A*=90, A=80,B=70) etc.

So in that case the UMS will be 80

If the boundaries are high for the paper so that 65 /70 is an a then the UMS will still be 80.

In your paper you needed less than 57 for an A so they gave you a UMS mark over 80% which is an A
Reply 7
Thank you everyone.

I've been trying to verify my UMS score using my raw mark myself using the method in the TSR wiki. But it's not really working, it's working out completely differently to the reality.

I got an A in a paper, I think that's where I'm going wrong because there is no grade boundary above A. Can anybody help?

Thanks

Original post by Destroyviruses
It's different for every paper.

Say the raw mark for a paper is 70 and UMS is 100.

If the grade boundaries are low so that 35=A then they'll give you the number of UMS you need for an a which is fixed.(A*=90, A=80,B=70) etc.

So in that case the UMS will be 80

If the boundaries are high for the paper so that 65 /70 is an a then the UMS will still be 80.

In your paper you needed less than 57 for an A so they gave you a UMS mark over 80% which is an A
Thank you everyone.

I've been trying to verify my UMS score using my raw mark myself using the method in the TSR wiki. But it's not really working, it's working out completely differently to the reality.

I got an A in a paper, I think that's where I'm going wrong because there is no grade boundary above A. Can anybody help?

Thanks

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

I dont understand your question but just look at their graph, it clarifys lots of stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Destroyviruses
http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

I dont understand your question but just look at their graph, it clarifys lots of stuff.

Thanks. Is there one of these for Edexcel?

Basically, I've got my raw marks after having received my exam script back. I'm just trying to find out how exactly they got my UMS score from these raw marks.

The method shown on the TSR wiki isn't working for me, probably I got an A grade, so working out UMS becomes more difficult (same if a candidate gets a U grade). Do you know how the conversion formula from raw to UMS marks should work?
Thanks. Is there one of these for Edexcel?

Basically, I've got my raw marks after having received my exam script back. I'm just trying to find out how exactly they got my UMS score from these raw marks.

The method shown on the TSR wiki isn't working for me, probably I got an A grade, so working out UMS becomes more difficult (same if a candidate gets a U grade). Do you know how the conversion formula from raw to UMS marks should work?

Well its complicated, it depends on the grade boundaries for raw marks. Do you have them?

Basically the raw mark grade boundary for A is plotted with 90. Raw grade boundary for B is plotted with 80 and so on. There is a line drawn through them so you can find out. if you didnt get the exact grade boundary number.

Give me the paper name and when you took it and I'll see what I can find.

Oh and give me the raw marks and the UMS you got officailly.

Quick Reply

Latest