Turn on thread page Beta

Do you like the area your university is in? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you like the town/city which your university is in?
    Yes
    86.49%
    No
    13.51%

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually like the area in which your university is in? Myself I can't wait to get out! The town is way too small and I don't get on with many people. Everyone knows everyone, but hey, that's what you get for studying in a small town. The uni is good though and I enjoy my course

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate it but now I can't imagine being anywhere else :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Do you actually like the area in which your university is in? Myself I can't wait to get out! The town is way too small and I don't get on with many people. Everyone knows everyone, but hey, that's what you get for studying in a small town. The uni is good though and I enjoy my course
    Whereeeeee?

I'm not at uni, but area will be quite a big decision factor for me when choosing my firm/insurance

ReputationRep:
    ish... its grown on me, some lovely parts, some not...

brunel uni, west london

ReputationRep:
    I love Canterbury, though it would be nice if there were a few more shops.

ReputationRep:
    This is something I'm worried about, I loved the look of Stirling uni, but I didn't see the town itself and I'm worried whether it's rough or what...

ReputationRep:
    It's on Regent Street, so yes.

ReputationRep:
    Londan:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    This is something I'm worried about, I loved the look of Stirling uni, but I didn't see the town itself and I'm worried whether it's rough or what...
    Its not rough at all, yes there is a council estate but compared to the ones near my home its actually upmarket. Stirling is brilliant, lots of bars, good shopping, couple of good clubs and excellent rail links to Edinburgh,Glasgow and all points inbetween. Considering its a similar size to Lancaster (which I considered) its far far better. Lancaster seemed depressing , Stirling didnt. I also hated Durham which seemed claustrophobic and twee. Considering the historical sites around Stirling I have never found it too touristy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzi58)
    Its not rough at all, yes there is a council estate but compared to the ones near my home its actually upmarket. Stirling is brilliant, lots of bars, good shopping, couple of good clubs and excellent rail links to Edinburgh,Glasgow and all points inbetween. Considering its a similar size to Lancaster (which I considered) its far far better. Lancaster seemed depressing , Stirling didnt. I also hated Durham which seemed claustrophobic and twee. Considering the historical sites around Stirling I have never found it too touristy.
    This has reassured me a lot actually, because I heard about crime rates so thought... oh maybe its not too nice, but ti sounds like I would love it

ReputationRep:
    going to keele, the location is the one thing Im not looking forward to. I don't mind it being all separate and only being near a town because then you get the best of both, but I wish it was near a city
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I did like the whole Harry Potter-ness of Oxford but the place was far too small and far too quaint. I feel much more home in New Cross :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I like Plymouth, especially the district I live in, the people are really friendly and because I frequent the same places I see the same people every day, which makes it feel really familiar and me feel more at home.

I know of some areas in Plymouth that are supposed to really 'rough', but I've never been to those places so can't really judge.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but remember I've lived here for years and went to school in the same area - I like it because I know where all the nooks and crannies are.

ReputationRep:
    Not at uni yet but this did influence my decision :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I love London, there's so much to do and it's impossible to be bored but sometimes it's too daunting for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    Whereeeeee?

I'm not at uni, but area will be quite a big decision factor for me when choosing my firm/insurance
    Well i'm in Huddersfield studying Music. It's a small northern town near the Pennines. It seems like everyone knows everyone which is annoying cos i'm not used to that. It's a real culture change. Gonna move to Manchester or Leeds for the city life. Manchester and Leeds are where it's at! It's good not to see people you know all the time.

Maybe when I retire I'll move somewhere quiet.

ReputationRep:
    I like the city of Lancaster. It is full of wonderful historic buildings, is compact and friendly. There are some wonderful green spaces like the Ashton Memorial and I like the fact campus is surrounded by fields and places to go for rural walks/rural sports. Plus, I can see the sea from my bedroom window and you can jump on a bus straight to Morecambe from campus.

That said, I like it because I have the contrast with my home city. I prefer the night life in Manchester and the shopping, plus things like the theatre are better there too. Having both places works really well for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Well i'm in Huddersfield studying Music. It's a small northern town near the Pennines. It seems like everyone knows everyone which is annoying cos i'm not used to that. It's a real culture change. Gonna move to Manchester or Leeds for the city life. Manchester and Leeds are where it's at! It's good not to see people you know all the time.

Maybe when I retire I'll move somewhere quiet.
    OH okay Yeah i get what you mean, I would rather not go somehwere so "isolated" / small. Although I'd love to live in a village at some point in my life.
    ahhh i'm torn between manchester and leeds too!

ReputationRep:
    The problem with smaller places is. You get a reputation. Whether this is good or not you can break it. Then where would you be ? At least in a city there is a lot of people to meet. More chance of meeting friends and seeing people you like !

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.