Turn on thread page Beta

Have I been officially diagnosed as depressed? watch

I went to my GP about a month ago and said I thought I might be depressed, chatted to her for a while and she referred me to the uni counselling services after we went through the various therapy options available. I don't remember her actually saying "yes, you have depression" but kind of assumed because she referred me that I was.

As I've been struggling in uni I went to see my advisor and let him know what was up and he asked had I been officially diagnosed and if need be would i be able to provide a doctors note to that effect. I don't remember her actually saying "yes, you have depression" so any ideas? I've got an appointment booked to ask but it's not until after I'm meant to submit extenuating circumstance evidence and I don't want to claim depression if I'm not.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Depression is usually diagnosed as feelings of being down for a prolonged period of time. Does this sound familiar to you?

(Original post by MovingOn)
    Depression is usually diagnosed as feelings of being down for a prolonged period of time. Does this sound familiar to you?
    Yes, that's one of the reasons I went to the GP but there's a difference between the literal meaning and the medical diagnosis, right?

ReputationRep:
    When I was diagnosed she said to me I have moderate to high depression and that was about it. I would phone up your GP surgery and get them to confirm over the phone if they can.

ReputationRep:
    the time threshold for a major depression diagnosis is only 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP and look what it says on the screen. Diagnosises are there.

ReputationRep:
    I would ask your GP, they might word it differently, or put the worst case scenario - I handed a letter from my GP to the uni saying I was suffering panic attacks; when I've never taken one in my life (touch wood).. I'm, not sure how they officialy diagnose you - I've been getting CBT since September and the bloke doing it still sits there and says "Well, is it depression you have.. I don't know.. Is it an anxiety disorder... Hmm.. I think it might be.. But what kind of anxiety *strokes his imaginary beard*..." I don't know if your GP can diagnose it or if it needs to be someone higher up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I don't know if your GP can diagnose it or if it needs to be someone higher up.
    Yes a GP can.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    For depression the time you have to be in a low mood for is only 2 weeks, so if you're experiencing at least 5 symptoms (I think) you could be diagnosed with depression.

Just ask your GP about it, normally you would be prescribed antidepressants though and normally doctors are explicit when diagnosing their patients so they know where to go from there.

If you're not sure it is probable that you haven't been diagnosed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.