Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Follow musica_man's general advice on sorting out your lack of sleep. I don't think there is much evidence suggesting your dreams are symptoms of anything, they are natural.

The last thing anyone needs is to miss days off college through sleep depravation.
    I know... ugh... and this week is sooooo busy for me... Do you think it'd be wise to take a nap today? I didn't think I should cos I don't want to risk not sleeping again tonight. But having said that, I'm running on three and a half hours sleep right now and feel ready to drop.

ReputationRep:
    Someone's been watching Paranormal Activity :awesome: :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    May sound extreme, but contact your doctor, see if he/she can refer you to a sleep clinic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0nfus3d)
    Someone's been watching Paranormal Activity :awesome: :ninja:
    Actually have never seen it!

ReputationRep:
    I had some trouble sleeping a while ago. I've always taken about 3 quarters of an hour to get to sleep but basically - well you get so stressed and worried about not sleeping that you can't sleep. Illogical isn't it?

1) I'm sure there are some wonderful Freudian analysises of your dreams, but I doubt you'll want that. It seems like you feel pressurised by something, running away from something, feeling a bit well, frightened by the world. Perhaps having a chat with your mum/someone you trust before you go to bed could help - get all the worries out. I found that helped. But really, don't worry about dreams. Everyone has 'Nazi' kind of dreams, (I had one where I was in a human farm - ie we were being bred for slaughter), running away dreams. They're incredibly common. Try thinking positive thoughts before you go to bed, listening to pleasant music - I guess if you feel happy your dreams will be happier. And attempt, if you can, to control your dreams a little. Once you start to wake up (but still asleep) you should be able to direct things towards a happy ending. (Don't hold me for this - I am no psychoanalyist).

2) Try to go to bed earlier. That way you have two hours or so to 'get to sleep' - you won't feel so pressurised to fall asleep straight away. Also, tell yourself repeatedly 'it doesn't matter if I don't sleep - just relax and enjoy the sleep, i'll make it up some other time ' - cus it doesn't matter, you can survive quite some time without sleep. I found that stopped me worrying about being unable to sleep, so I slept better. Also a snack (toast etc.) and warm drink really helps.

But if you want to use sleeping medicine then good luck! these are just a few ideas, they may all be rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musica_man)
    :eek: can't believe a doctor would be so dissmissive like that ... i would have complained. When I was 10 I started becoming ill and 5 doctors told me and my parents it was a cold and I was being over dramatic ... a week later I was in hospital with an illness that nearly killed me ... good doctors are hard to find lol

im having sleep issues and went to my doctor and he was super helpful, gave me loads of info to read about sleep disorders and sleep patters ... suggested i cut caffeine, alcohol etc. , do 1/2 hour intensive excercise 5 times a week, and the main thing was he said 'dont go to be bed until you know you will fall asleep'. He said most people make the mistake of going to bed at a set time rather than going when they will just drop right off. Then he siad to start establishing a time when i generally fall asleep and start going 15 mins before and then keep going like that until the problem is better.

Its working wonders.

Aha yeah he was horrible. I probably would've complained if I was in the right mindset but I wasnt.

I used to make the mistake of going to bed early because it used to take ages for me to fall asleep so I thought if I went early I would still fall asleep around the same time as normal but it didnt work!!! I stay up now until I can hardly stay awake and then im a lot better than I used to be!

ReputationRep:
    Exercise, try hypnotherapy...some videos on youtube, listen to them before trying to sleep. Defo some milk, anything containing Tryptophan.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.