Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How big is too big with age gaps? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what everyone thinks on the subject. There's been a few threads on what people think of age gaps in general, but for you personally, what do you classify as too big? 5 years? 10? 20? Why? Would you go out with someone a fair bit older or younger than you?

I've heard of the "your age add seven etc." rule, although it seems kinda flimsy to me.

I'm off ill with a virus at the moment, so please humour me in my boredom.

ReputationRep:
    Age/2 + 7 works excellently. It has exceptions of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Age/2 + 7 works excellently. It has exceptions of course!
    How about the other direction? (Age*2)-7?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Just wondering what everyone thinks on the subject. There's been a few threads on what people think of age gaps in general, but for you personally, what do you classify as too big? 5 years? 10? 20? Why? Would you go out with someone a fair bit older or younger than you?

I've heard of the "your age add seven etc." rule, although it seems kinda flimsy to me.
    I'm off ill with a virus at the moment, so please humour me in my boredom.
    No it doesn't - it makes perfect sense. LOL @ you doubting it.

It basically says the age gap can be bigger the older the people are.

So for example, a 40 year old with a 60 year old might be fine, but a 15 year old with a 19 year old is not. Despite the age gap being 5 times smaller in the latter case, it's not ok.

Why the hell don't you understand such a ****ing simple rule?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the age gap matters as such. In fact, so long as you are both happy I dont think it matters at all... I think people are usually more 'bothered' by the age you are. For example, a 16 year old going out with someone that is 27 would probably be considered as too big an age gap but if you were like 23 and your partner was 34 it wouldnt be considered as being wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Over 9000.

ReputationRep:
    x/2 + 7 is the widely accepted rule when 15<x<35

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    How about the other direction? (Age*2)+7?
    Well, it's a formula for working out the youngest you should go out with so you can't just make a mathematical change to claim the opposite. You would just take the older person and do the formula with their age and if you are = or older then good times

Remember that it's only an estimate, not a solid rule!

(Original post by Darude)
    No it doesn't - it makes perfect sense. LOL @ you doubting it.

It basically says the age gap can be bigger the older the people are.

So for example, a 40 year old with a 60 year old might be fine, but a 15 year old with a 19 year old is not. Despite the age gap being 5 times smaller in the latter case, it's not ok.

Why the hell don't you understand such a ****ing simple rule?
    Chill, dood.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think the older you get the less relevant the age gap becomes. Anytime over the age of 25, an age gap of 12-15yrs isn't that bad & nobody really cares about the age gap.

I think though for anyone under 25 or anyone certainly under 22 ish should aim to date someone who is no more than 5-7yrs older than them.

Every case is different. I only turned 18 a little while back & wouldn't even think of contemplating dating anyone over 22. Saying that though, for those that know Bradley James he'll turn 28 this year & boy if I had the opportunity I'd go for it with no looking back!! But because I know that'll never happen & I can't ever imagine anyone over 25 wanting to date me let alone anyone who's nearer to my age, I think I'll stick to anyone who's under 22! :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    As long as everybody's over 18 and happy I don't see a problem with any age gap. Younger than that and we're back to "it depends"

I have always thought at 18 I wouldn't date anyone over 20/21 but somehow have ended up in a situation where my bf is 29, seems to be working although it is only a temporary relationship ( I am on a gap year ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    As long as everybody's over 18 and happy I don't see a problem with any age gap. Younger than that and we're back to "it depends"
    again failed logic. an 18 year old with a 50 year old is sick. the divide by two, add seven rule is there for a reason LOL

again failed logic. an 18 year old with a 50 year old is sick. the divide by two, add seven rule is there for a reason LOL
    And what's your reasoning behind this logic? What makes it so "sick"?

ReputationRep:
    Uncommon =/= sick.

(P.S no I'm not going out with a 50yr old before someone asks )

ReputationRep:
    What has logic got to do with it?

(Original post by tface)
    Uncommon =/= sick.

(P.S no I'm not going out with a 50yr old before someone asks )
    Quit TSR stalking me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    That's a pretty open mind you've got... so you don't see any problem with, for example, Hugh Hefner and his fiancée? He's 84 and she's 24.

(Not being deliberately argumentative, just wondering what you think. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Quit TSR stalking me
    I think you'll find I posted first in each thread :smug:

How do you know it's just TSR stalking :ninja:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and my girlfriend is 42

Not...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.