Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How big is too big with age gaps? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of an 18 year old guy, with a 21 year old girl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    That's a pretty open mind you've got... so you don't see any problem with, for example, Hugh Hefner and his fiancée? He's 84 and she's 24.

(Not being deliberately argumentative, just wondering what you think. )
    myself i ahve no issue with it, i think it comes down to the people involved if they are happy together what right do others have to judge,

i think it would be unlikely i would go out with anyone under the age of 20 (im 29) but then i guess it depends on the person, if i liked her enough and we clicked i would go as far as 18

ReputationRep:
    I had never heard of that stupid rule.
    I prefer not to apply it... I am 18, so my maximum age gap would be 16 years. I obviously won't date a 2-yr-old, but a 34-yr-old?

Hmm...
    I prefer to think on more loose terms. If the age gap is so big that one of the partners could be the parent of the other partner, then perhaps it is excessive.
    As usual, it depends if you consider that could as 'sexually possible' (therefore, 13-17), or 'usual' (25-30ish).

If I had to give a number, I'd say 15. But I would like to marry someone with my age +/- 2.

ReputationRep:
    i would say 10 is the most, for all ages!

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty open mind you've got... so you don't see any problem with, for example, Hugh Hefner and his fiancée? He's 84 and she's 24.

(Not being deliberately argumentative, just wondering what you think. )
    I wouldn't get into something like that myself, but as long as the people involved are fine with it I don't see how it ought to be anyone else's business. If two people who want to be together aren't allowed to, you end up with two unhappy people. If two people who want to be together are allowed to, you end up with two happy people. Surely it is better to have two happy people rather than two unhappy people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SergioMZ)
    I had never heard of that stupid rule.
    I prefer not to apply it... I am 18, so my maximum age gap would be 16 years. I obviously won't date a 2-yr-old, but a 34-yr-old?

Hmm...
    I prefer to think on more loose terms. If the age gap is so big that one of the partners could be the parent of the other partner, then perhaps it is excessive.
    As usual, it depends if you consider that could as 'sexually possible' (therefore, 13-17), or 'usual' (25-30ish).

If I had to give a number, I'd say 15. But I would like to marry someone with my age +/- 2.
    You've misunderstood The 'rule' is to calculate the minimum age you should date, so you can date a 16 yr old but nothing younger

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, i dont think it matters as much as people think. Im 21 this year & my bf is 30 this year and our daughter will be 1. We were 'seeing' each other when i was 16 but we decided to stay friends instead, 2 years later things changed and we've now been together 2 years and are very happy. We have our futures planned out and we are a family, neither of our families have had a problem at all about our ages and we dont see it as a big deal its 9 years! But i dont think id go out with anyone much older than him if we werent together. I think we all have our own age limits and the no go age groups!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx-Br0k3n-xx)
    I have to say, i dont think it matters as much as people think. Im 21 this year & my bf is 30 this year and our daughter will be 1. We were 'seeing' each other when i was 16 but we decided to stay friends instead, 2 years later things changed and we've now been together 2 years and are very happy. We have our futures planned out and we are a family, neither of our families have had a problem at all about our ages and we dont see it as a big deal its 9 years! But i dont think id go out with anyone much older than him if we werent together. I think we all have our own age limits and the no go age groups!!
    I'm happy that it worked out for you, but a 25 year old who's interested in a 16 year old is a bit creepy. I'm 22 and I couldn't imagine being with a year 11

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and I would usually not think of going for anybody under 16. However I am a hypocrite and am currently with a 15 year old -.-

ReputationRep:
    17/2 = 8.5

8.5 + 7 = 15.5

17 and 15 is not wrong? Idk, opinions?

I'm 27 and my boyfriend is 49, have been with him for over a year and couldn't imagine not being with him. A few of my friends have given me lectures about it but I'm old enough to make my own choices.

They think I should be with someone my own age but to me men in their 20s and early 30's seem too young and they just don't do anything for me.

I think as long as both people are happy then what's the big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogatonic)
    As long as everybody's over 18 and happy I don't see a problem with any age gap. Younger than that and we're back to "it depends"
    Good news for our relationship, Doga.

ReputationRep:
    you shouldn't use a silly formula to decide whether an age gap is too big!as long as you're over 18 it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    What do people think of an 18 year old guy, with a 21 year old girl?
    who cares? who is the one banging her?

ReputationRep:
    i'm 18 and my boyfriend is 23 i like it like that.
    less than 12 years is okay but then it does all depend on how old they are, i mean 14 and 26 is wrong, so is 17 and 29 but 20 and 32 and so on is okay tbh

Whatever makes you happy, their isn't any law so!

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe you've got to take into account the age some people act too. Like, someone might be 28, but act like an 18 year old student, therefore an 18 year old student would see less of a problem dating them versus a 28 year old with a serious job/mortgage whatever and generally more serious attitude to life.

Saying that though, as long as both parties are over 18 I don't have a problem with it.
    If some hot 24 year old wants to reduce herself to 84 year old Hugh Hefner who am I to stop her?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what everyone thinks on the subject. There's been a few threads on what people think of age gaps in general, but for you personally, what do you classify as too big? 5 years? 10? 20? Why? Would you go out with someone a fair bit older or younger than you?

I've heard of the "your age add seven etc." rule, although it seems kinda flimsy to me.

I'm off ill with a virus at the moment, so please humour me in my boredom.
    I would say it depends on how old you are...
    12-14, i would say 16 is old enough
    15-16, I would say 19
    17-19, I would say 24... though an 18yr old friend of mine has a 30yr old bf which isnt as bad as it seems!
    And by the time you hit 20, well, up to 15 years older?
    Wouldnt recommend it but it depends on what lifestyle you have whether you want a 35 year old bf!!!

ReputationRep:
    As big as until you start question ing it like this...

ReputationRep:
    I'm expecting plenty of neg rep from jealous single people who can't get a girlfriend/boyfriend at all but oh well.

It doesn't matter. As long as no laws are being broken, as long as both parties are happy, everyone else can crawl into a hole and die if they have anything negative to say; why spend your life worrying about other peoples' relationships when you could be out there making sure your own goes well or, more likely, trying to find one of your own.

I'd rather be with someone 10 years older who, like me, feels more inclined to settle down and have a family rather than a 16 year old who can't wait to lose his v plates with the nearest **** available and just wants to drink and show off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and dating a 31 year old.

When you're over 18, age gaps matter so much less. Personally though, I wouldn't date anyone over 15 years older than me. Over 20 years is certainly fairly weird.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.