Turn on thread page Beta

How big is too big with age gaps? watch

how about 15-21
    16-22
    17-23 etc?

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thick. Does Age/2 + 7 = the minimum appropriate age of your partner, or the minimum appropriate age difference?

ReputationRep:
    depends, when you over 20 i dont think it matters too much if you go older
    i know a girl whos 19 with a 37yr old boyfriend! a 24 yr old with a 45 year old boy friend (whos been married twice with 2 teenage kids one of whom is 17 :eek: !! )
    its ALWAYS the weird girls that go that high though (unless the dudes rich)

for guys age/2 + 7 works pretty much perfectly

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is an "acceptable" age gap as such.
    The older you are then the better is seems. E.g 25 and 46 years old doesn't seem as bad as 16 and 36.

As long as the youngest is over 18 I don't see a problem.

ReputationRep:
    as long as both parties are over 21, its ok in the short-mid term.

but if you are gonna marry, i think 20 years is the max. otherwise thing of your kids, your future etc. you will grow apart in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    The /2 +7 "rule" supposedly indicates how to find the perfect aged woman for a man. For instance, a 24 year old man should go for a woman aged about 19 according to that rule.
    Or for a woman to find the perfect aged man she should subtract 7 and then double. :p: I'm 20 so in theory I should go for someone aged about 26.

I'm not saying that I agree with it, just that that is how that particular rule was originally intended to be applied and a lot of the people on this thread clearly do not know this.

Personally I think as long as both people are happy with the relationship and no laws are broken, then it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    depends, when you over 20 i dont think it matters too much if you go older
    i know a girl whos 19 with a 37yr old boyfriend! a 24 yr old with a 45 year old boy friend (whos been married twice with 2 teenage kids one of whom is 17 :eek: !! )
    its ALWAYS the weird girls that go that high though (unless the dudes rich)
    out of interest, what do you mean by weird?

like what types of girls would go for a guy in his 40's or 50s (assuming he isnt rich)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    out of interest, what do you mean by weird?

like what types of girls would go for a guy in his 40's or 50s (assuming he isnt rich)??
    Quiet, lacking confidence
    average looking at best
    either slightly tubby or really thin
    average intelligence
    not many friends, kinda a loner
    kinda a weird attidude, this ones hard to explain but they aren't people who are interesting and have no real character.
    Don't follow fashion at all
    Basically a real life Meg Griffin

there are probably exceptions but the girls i know with much older bfs are all pretty wierd and fit into what ive listed. The only reason i know them is because of their brothers/sisters and theres one in my block at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    Quiet, lacking confidence
    average looking at best
    either slightly tubby or really thin
    average intelligence
    not many friends, kinda a loner
    kinda a weird attidude, this ones hard to explain but they aren't people who are interesting and have no real character.
    Don't follow fashion at all
    Basically a real life Meg Griffin

there are probably exceptions but the girls i know with much older bfs are all pretty wierd and fit into what ive listed. The only reason i know them is because of their brothers/sisters and theres one in my block at uni
    :eek: how do you know this??

spot on man!!! i used to think those girls were skanks who just had no standards, until it happened to me.

im a decent girl and everything, size 6 latina model, nice looking but i fit all the bold ones above - my fist real bf was 40 when i aws 21 (he lied and said he was 28) but i am very alternative, devout catholic and a bit of a hippy/nerd.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the people involved. I was just 16 when i started going out with my boyfriend, who's 3 years older than me, and i think our age gap is pushing it, the older i get the less i notice the gap (been togetehr just over a year and a half), but i think it depends on personal maturation.

like, i think 6thform/collage, and university both change you a lot, so it depends what 'walk of life' you're in. and how much older your parents are. i don't think you should go out with someone older than/same age as your parents.

and if you want children you have to consider what it'll be like for them.

but the older you get the less the age gap is. i don't think 16 and 36 is right, but 36 and 56? that's okay.

ReputationRep:
    / 2 + 7. Always. Almost

Or 2 up 2 down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    What do people think of an 18 year old guy, with a 21 year old girl?
    I'd think that guy is Winning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    I'm happy that it worked out for you, but a 25 year old who's interested in a 16 year old is a bit creepy. I'm 22 and I couldn't imagine being with a year 11
    I had left school by then and i always found people my own age group immature so all my friends were 20-26 at the time, i was considered an equal, so again age wasnt a huge problem. All his previous gf's were his age, so its not like hes just some creep, and if my mother didnt find him creepy and felt that because of my maturity we suited and allowed it, i think its different if your personalities suit and you just fit, our age group isnt that far off to be fair however a 16 year old with a 40 year old i would find wrong, but we all have different opinions.

ReputationRep:
    My Nan was 25 and my Bampi was 50 when they had my mum .....

ReputationRep:
    Past a certain age no-one would care how much you go up

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends - sometimes you can talk to someone 20 years older than you and don't really notice the age gap because you are so similar! I would judge it on how happy the relationship made me feel rather than numbers.

ReputationRep:
    As long as both parties are legal, who gives a ****? If they're both happy and consenting adults, they can do what (and who) they want.

The only people who judge are those who can't get a relationship and are trying to make themselves feel better by demeaning the relationships of others (which, tbh, has nothing to do with them anyway). Sad, pathetic people.

I am more than happy with a guy who turns 42 this year and I am 18. I am far richer than he is and he is very unexperienced sexually. I am also the one who instigated it and I am not shy, a slut or undesirable. You can't help who you like. If I wasnt the one in the relationship I would find it weird but it is working out incredibly well for both of us. Especially as he understands I am going to university in September and that I need to concentrate on school work sometimes.
    Just because something seems really bizarre sometimes it works out as the best option.

(Original post by Gemma16)
    i'm 18 and my boyfriend is 23 i like it like that.
    less than 12 years is okay but then it does all depend on how old they are, i mean 14 and 26 is wrong, so is 17 and 29 but 20 and 32 and so on is okay tbh

Whatever makes you happy, their isn't any law so!
    Firstly It's "There" Secondly I think there is a law if you check....

ReputationRep:
    Comparability is what matters, not age (provided everyone's legal).

The problem is, too many people care too much what other people (friends, family, strangers etc) will think if they date someone with a big age gap. What other people think shouldn't even come into it.

The very fact that this thread has been started is an example of someone seeking others' approval for the age range they 'should' date. It's bull****. Date who you are attracted to and best connect with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.