Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am undertaking an internship in London, and I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about students from other universities living in the halls of a different one.
    Is there a condition that you have to be a student of that university to live there? Or are they all private companies anyway?
    Can anyone suggest the cheapest/most appropriate accommodation in London considering my circumstances?

Sorry if this seems stupid, I'm just not too sure.

Thanks for any replies.
    Ross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rossg)
    I am undertaking an internship in London, and I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about students from other universities living in the halls of a different one.
    Is there a condition that you have to be a student of that university to live there? Or are they all private companies anyway?
    Can anyone suggest the cheapest/most appropriate accommodation in London considering my circumstances?

Sorry if this seems stupid, I'm just not too sure.

Thanks for any replies.
    Ross.
    I have no information regarding London but generally, uni halls are owned by the uni so you have to be a student at that uni to live there. Some halls are privately owned though, so it doesn't matter what uni you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to anyway?

I imagine normal flats are much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Why would you want to anyway?

I imagine normal flats are much cheaper.
    Not in London

ReputationRep:
    In London there are the universities' own halls, intercollegiate ones (admined by UoL) and then the private ones. Don't have a clue about the private ones but the uni ones are only open to non students during the Summer but are not a cheaper alternative to finding a room to rent - they charge something like £30 - £40 a night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Not in London
    Really?
    Well that's just silly. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I saw UCL halls were like £30 - £50 a night roughly. How do these people survive!?

I'd prefer halls because the "student atmosphere"/like-minded people, and they're generally better value for money. But if I don't get some financial help from student finance I might well not have a choice but to get some dodgy cheap flat on the outskirts.

Anyone on TSR ever faced this situation? Low budget to live in London? (my travel expenses are paid so location in London isn't important)
    Any companies to recommend?

Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.