Turn on thread page Beta

Bristol or Nottingham? (poll) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: University of Bristol or University of Nottingham?
    Bristol
    56.41%
    Nottingham
    38.46%
    Don't know/ they are equal
    5.13%

ReputationRep:
    Uni of Bristol or Uni of Nottingham? Where would you go? Taking everything into account, academic status, social life etc.

Any pros and cons of each anyone could give would also be fantastic

ReputationRep:
    These are the two I'm trying to decide between. A few people have said to me that Bristol is more prestigious than Nottingham but personally I think they're both great universities so it'd be better to have a look at each course in detail - which optional modules appeal to you more?
    Also, do you want a city or campus university? That's a major difference between the two, a lot of the places you might need to be at are pretty spread out in Bristol while Nottingham is of course a campus university. I'm sure they both have a great social scene as they're so popular with students, but I think I read somewhere that Bristol isn't as good for live music (i.e. artists not coming there on tour because there isn't a major venue or something) but then again I don't know whethere there is one in Nottingham either.
    I liked them both equally, surprisingly as they are so different. I'm gonna visit Bristol again and see which one blows me away the most It's gonna have to be your decision ultimately, try to visit them both and decide which one you would prefer to spend the next 3/4 years of your life
    *I realise this is probably not very helpful, so sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    These are the two I'm trying to decide between. A few people have said to me that Bristol is more prestigious than Nottingham but personally I think they're both great universities so it'd be better to have a look at each course in detail - which optional modules appeal to you more?
    Also, do you want a city or campus university? That's a major difference between the two, a lot of the places you might need to be at are pretty spread out in Bristol while Nottingham is of course a campus university. I'm sure they both have a great social scene as they're so popular with students, but I think I read somewhere that Bristol isn't as good for live music (i.e. artists not coming there on tour because there isn't a major venue or something) but then again I don't know whethere there is one in Nottingham either.
    I liked them both equally, surprisingly as they are so different. I'm gonna visit Bristol again and see which one blows me away the most It's gonna have to be your decision ultimately, try to visit them both and decide which one you would prefer to spend the next 3/4 years of your life
    it was helpful! haha i appreciate it. I feel the same, they are both so different yet equal. I think I prefer Bristol as a city but i'm worried it'll be very private school/'rah' and also the spread out around the city is a slight issue too. Nottingham is great that its on campus but the city doesn't seem alive and interesting in the way that bristol is. ooh suprised by what you said about live music, i though bristol was supposed to be pretty diverse with music - though maybe a lot of drum and bass etc so maybe not so much live bands. Ah decisions decisions, I'm going to revisit both too and do the same as you, just trying to gather a few opinions aswell

ReputationRep:
    I've posted a similar thread in the maths forum (as I'm choosing between the two for Maths and Computer Science), I can't make my mind up either.

I love the idea of a campus uni, and from what I've seen the facilities in Nottingham are much better, the accommodation options are nicer, and I absolutely hate the spread out layout of the Uni of Bristol. The only thing that's preventing me from firming Notts is Bristol's prestige, I'm afraid my employment options will be limited with a degree from Nottingham and that the course will be inferior.

Any advice will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    I've posted a similar thread in the maths forum (as I'm choosing between the two for Maths and Computer Science), I can't make my mind up either.

I love the idea of a campus uni, and from what I've seen the facilities in Nottingham are much better, the accommodation options are nicer, and I absolutely hate the spread out layout of the Uni of Bristol. The only thing that's preventing me from firming Notts is Bristol's prestige, I'm afraid my employment options will be limited with a degree from Nottingham and that the course will be inferior.

As a computer scientist speaking for the CS part of your course I'd pick Bristol! The CS department is amazing and is placed a lot higher on the league tables (if you tend to believe league tables.)

In general though, I think Bristol wins it for me. The city is absolutely gorgeous, I loved the town centre so much! The university is really good again, very respectable and you know that there will be good career prospects after. Same goes for Notts too but I would pick Bristol tbh. Anyway at the end of the day, its your wish entirely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subbacultcha.)
    it was helpful! haha i appreciate it. I feel the same, they are both so different yet equal. I think I prefer Bristol as a city but i'm worried it'll be very private school/'rah' and also the spread out around the city is a slight issue too. Nottingham is great that its on campus but the city doesn't seem alive and interesting in the way that bristol is. ooh suprised by what you said about live music, i though bristol was supposed to be pretty diverse with music - though maybe a lot of drum and bass etc so maybe not so much live bands. Ah decisions decisions, I'm going to revisit both too and do the same as you, just trying to gather a few opinions aswell
    Yeah, I'm exactly the same - I don't go to a private school, nor am I particularly 'posh' - I know this is a massive generalisation about Bristol and being posh isn't a bad thing, but still, the mix of state/independent school students is probably better at Nottingham. I definitely prefer Bristol as a city to Nottingham, it just seems so much more buzzing and exciting which is what I really want! Which should help me answer my own question, but I did love the campus at Nottingham too it's a tough decision, so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)

Though I personally prefer Bristol overall, I would strongly encourage you to choose Nottingham as it's the one you are clearly more enthusiastic about. Nottingham is still a fantastic university and it's not like going there is going to have a negative impact on your future job prospects. It's really easy to get caught up on prestige (I know, because I also thought about this for ages when comparing the two) but the other factors are so much more important, especially when there is such a small difference in terms of how good they both are as universities. You'll be living and studying there for 3/4 years so it's so important that you choose the one you'll be happier at - the distance between the buildings at Bristol isn't going to shrink, the facilities aren't all going to drastically improve and nor is the accommodation. Obviously it's your decision but you should be really excited and eager to go to your first choice - so go with Nottingham!!

ReputationRep:
    Though I personally prefer Bristol overall, I would strongly encourage you to choose Nottingham as it's the one you are clearly more enthusiastic about. Nottingham is still a fantastic university and it's not like going there is going to have a negative impact on your future job prospects. It's really easy to get caught up on prestige (I know, because I also thought about this for ages when comparing the two) but the other factors are so much more important, especially when there is such a small difference in terms of how good they both are as universities. You'll be living and studying there for 3/4 years so it's so important that you choose the one you'll be happier at
    I'm not from the UK and I won't be able to visit any of the unis I'm applying to, so I have to make the choice based on what I can read on the uni websites and on TSR. People here seem to praise Bristol all the time, and if that's the rep that the uni has all over the UK, I don't want to turn that down just because I don't like the buildings. I know that if I end up choosing Notts I'll regret not being on the better course, and if I end up choosing Bristol I'll regret not being in the uni I like more. Ugh... I guess I'll eventually have to resort to a coin toss Thanks for the advice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I guess it depends what you want to do. Veterinary science certainly is, but engineering is fairly self contained. I have the map here, and psychology doesn't seem that far away?

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm exactly the same - I don't go to a private school, nor am I particularly 'posh' - I know this is a massive generalisation about Bristol and being posh isn't a bad thing, but still, the mix of state/independent school students is probably better at Nottingham. I definitely prefer Bristol as a city to Nottingham, it just seems so much more buzzing and exciting which is what I really want! Which should help me answer my own question, but I did love the campus at Nottingham too it's a tough decision, so good luck!
    I can't even add anything to this cause i completely agree with everything you just said. I am leaning 60% towards bristol atm, just cause i love the city so much. At least both me and you don't go to a private school or are 'posh'... so there's clearly a few out there Ah halls are dead expensive in bristol too though aren't they? I briefly looked at thier accom page and was like grimmm. Good luck with your choice too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    I'm not from the UK and I won't be able to visit any of the unis I'm applying to, so I have to make the choice based on what I can read on the uni websites and on TSR. People here seem to praise Bristol all the time, and if that's the rep that the uni has all over the UK, I don't want to turn that down just because I don't like the buildings. I know that if I end up choosing Notts I'll regret not being on the better course, and if I end up choosing Bristol I'll regret not being in the uni I like more. Ugh... I guess I'll eventually have to resort to a coin toss Thanks for the advice anyway.
    In that case you won't be able to appreciate how amazing Bristol is as a city! There is more to it than just 'prestige' and obviously it has earned it through great teaching/results/research so it can't be that bad! It seems you're going to lose in some way whichever you choose so you just have to decide which is the most important to you. No problem x

(Original post by Kareir)
    Really? I guess it depends what you want to do. Veterinary science certainly is, but engineering is fairly self contained. I have the map here, and psychology doesn't seem that far away?

_Kar.
    Yeah, sorry, when I said 'you might want to be' I didn't mean the OP, just in general i.e. if the uni from Stoke Bishop (if you are put there) and some of the uni buildings from each other, I don't know how relevant that is for maths/computer science

(Original post by subbacultcha.)
    I can't even add anything to this cause i completely agree with everything you just said. I am leaning 60% towards bristol atm, just cause i love the city so much. At least both me and you don't go to a private school or are 'posh'... so there's clearly a few out there Ah halls are dead expensive in bristol too though aren't they? I briefly looked at thier accom page and was like grimmm. Good luck with your choice too!
    Yeah same, for me it's the city that's winning me over as I do prefer the course slightly at Nottingham in that the optional modules look more interesting and varied. That's true, there are at least 2 of us I suppose I know, we don't have a choice anymore at Nottingham do we? Some people are outraged by this but I think it makes it much easier in terms of not having to choose, everyone just gets put somewhere and has to love it

ReputationRep:

Yeah same, for me it's the city that's winning me over as I do prefer the course slightly at Nottingham in that the optional modules look more interesting and varied. That's true, there are at least 2 of us I suppose I know, we don't have a choice anymore at Nottingham do we? Some people are outraged by this but I think it makes it much easier in terms of not having to choose, everyone just gets put somewhere and has to love it
    Bristol has many many positive (winning) points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    Bristol has many many positive (winning) points
    Absolutely. The fact I'm still favouring it despite the slightly better course at Nottingham shows how amazing it must be!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. The fact I'm still favouring it despite the slightly better course at Nottingham shows how amazing it must be!
    Hehe and may it stay that way!!

OP- for Psychology I would defo say bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)

Nottingham's a great uni! I don't understand, it's really prestigious, how does it limit your options?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol. The west country, including wales is lovely. Nottingham and the midlands are GRIM! (trust me)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit bias (being a Bristolian) but i think the city is great, good mix of everything and the size is in my opinion just right. They are both are great uni's, although its a tough decision, you're in a great position being able choosing between the 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    Nottingham's a great uni! I don't understand, it's really prestigious, how does it limit your options?
    I got the impression that the less prestigious uni you graduate from, the harder it is for you to get a good job or get into postgraduate research at better unis. By "limiting my options" I meant that it would give me fewer options than a Bristol degree. Again, as I'm not from the UK, I'm basing this pretty much just on the opinions of others that I happened to come across - but many people around here seem to be quite obsessed about uni reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    I got the impression that the less prestigious uni you graduate from, the harder it is for you to get a good job or get into postgraduate research at better unis. By "limiting my options" I meant that it would give me fewer options than a Bristol degree. Again, as I'm not from the UK, I'm basing this pretty much just on the opinions of others that I happened to come across - but many people around here seem to be quite obsessed about uni reputation.
    If you'd rather go to Nottingham just do it. No point going to Bristol for prestige and being miserable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    Nottingham is considered to be up there with the prestigious unis, it's maybe not as historic as others but the prestige is there.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.