Turn on thread page Beta

Bristol or Nottingham? (poll) watch

• View Poll Results: University of Bristol or University of Nottingham?
    Bristol
    56.41%
    Nottingham
    38.46%
    Don't know/ they are equal
    5.13%

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Bristol uni, and can definitely vouch for it!! I don't do anything to do with computer science, so unfortunately I can't comment on the actual course, but I can tell you the city is an amaaaazing place, and you wouldn't regret your choice. People always talk about "the Bristol Bug" - people who come to uni here often want to stay in the city after graduating.

As for the live music scene, there is DEFINITELY a place for it in Bristol, no matter what your preferences. There's an O2 academy which hosts all the mainstream and well-known acts, and loads of little bars and clubs that have live music on a regular basis. There is always plenty to do in Bristol - lots of exhibitions and things too. Over the weekend there was a science inspired circus... how often do you see that!? And of course, if you move slightly out of the centre, there are lots of peaceful places to sit and chill with nature

Although it's not a campus uni, the majority of the buildings - including sports centre/library etc - are within a few mintues walk of each other - they aren't spread out over the whole city as other non-campus unis are (other than the odd building). This also means that on your breaks, you're right next to all the nice little cafes/sandwich shops/pubs/parks around Park Street, which is an added bonus. Plus, the city centre is only about a 10/15 min walk away.

The only major downside is most of the Halls are quite a walk away from the main precinct. They are all close together, so you get the feeling of a little "student village" and there are lots of social events between the halls. Saying that, I lived in a lovely hall about a 10 min walk away, in a really pretty area. And of course, after your first year you can move as close to uni as you want!

Oh, and whilst Bristol does have its share of what I would normally call the "oxbridge" candidates (sorry to stereotype!!) it's not the "norm". I'm from a school where I was the only person to go on to uni, and the idea of me being posh is laughable :P People from all backgrounds fit in together though, and you find people with similar interests and end up having an amazing group of diverse friends! That's probably true for any uni! Plus when you move out of halls, whilst there is an upmarket and typically pretty end of town where many students choose to live, there's also the much cheaper and much more fun (I'm a tad biased) end of town which has lots of cool charity clothes shops, independent boutiques, record shops, and loads of little quirky cafes and pubs which I LOVE!

I will say a big downside of Bristol is the Union. It has the potential to be good, but it's just not in a convenient area. Don't let this put you off though, because there is enough going on in the city to make this fact negligible!

Well, that was a bit of an essay. Sorry I hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    I got the impression that the less prestigious uni you graduate from, the harder it is for you to get a good job or get into postgraduate research at better unis. By "limiting my options" I meant that it would give me fewer options than a Bristol degree. Again, as I'm not from the UK, I'm basing this pretty much just on the opinions of others that I happened to come across - but many people around here seem to be quite obsessed about uni reputation.
    You are clearly poorly informed. There is a miniscule difference in reputation between the the two. In fact, Nottingham has suffered a bit in reputation recently as its ranking has dropped badly, but only a few years ago it was seen as the equal of Bristol, and a solid top 10 university. In terms of employability, Nottingham is notorious for being liked by employers, with the Virgin University Guide calling it "one of the most employer friendly universities in the world," and is ranked in the UK top 6 and world top 25 for employability amongst leading firms.

Yes Bristol may have gained a march recently and the gap has widened, but this may shrink in 5 years, and Nottingham might overtake it.

Also, Nottingham tends to have a bigger international presence. If you do some research, like reading the respective wikipedia pages and online guides, you'll get a better picture of reputation than what people on here think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Also, Nottingham tends to have a bigger international presence. If you do some research, like reading the respective wikipedia pages and online guides, you'll get a better picture of reputation than what people on here think.
    The problem with online sources is that they're either university propaganda or things like research rankings that tell me nothing about the course itself.

People on TSR seem to value uni reputation very much, and I'm afraid that so do employers. I know that, all in all, when an employer has to choose between a Bristol and Nottingham graduate, he will only consider the uni's reputation. I mean, whenever I see two universities compared around here, it usually comes down to "choose that one, it's more prestigious". I hardly know anything about the quality of the courses and teaching in either of the unis I'm thinking of going to, because people around here only focus on prestige and perhaps social life. Well, I guess I'll have to keep looking for something that will make my choice easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erin01)
    I'm at Bristol uni, and can definitely vouch for it!! I don't do anything to do with computer science, so unfortunately I can't comment on the actual course, but I can tell you the city is an amaaaazing place, and you wouldn't regret your choice. People always talk about "the Bristol Bug" - people who come to uni here often want to stay in the city after graduating.

As for the live music scene, there is DEFINITELY a place for it in Bristol, no matter what your preferences. There's an O2 academy which hosts all the mainstream and well-known acts, and loads of little bars and clubs that have live music on a regular basis. There is always plenty to do in Bristol - lots of exhibitions and things too. Over the weekend there was a science inspired circus... how often do you see that!? And of course, if you move slightly out of the centre, there are lots of peaceful places to sit and chill with nature

Although it's not a campus uni, the majority of the buildings - including sports centre/library etc - are within a few mintues walk of each other - they aren't spread out over the whole city as other non-campus unis are (other than the odd building). This also means that on your breaks, you're right next to all the nice little cafes/sandwich shops/pubs/parks around Park Street, which is an added bonus. Plus, the city centre is only about a 10/15 min walk away.

The only major downside is most of the Halls are quite a walk away from the main precinct. They are all close together, so you get the feeling of a little "student village" and there are lots of social events between the halls. Saying that, I lived in a lovely hall about a 10 min walk away, in a really pretty area. And of course, after your first year you can move as close to uni as you want!

Oh, and whilst Bristol does have its share of what I would normally call the "oxbridge" candidates (sorry to stereotype!!) it's not the "norm". I'm from a school where I was the only person to go on to uni, and the idea of me being posh is laughable :P People from all backgrounds fit in together though, and you find people with similar interests and end up having an amazing group of diverse friends! That's probably true for any uni! Plus when you move out of halls, whilst there is an upmarket and typically pretty end of town where many students choose to live, there's also the much cheaper and much more fun (I'm a tad biased) end of town which has lots of cool charity clothes shops, independent boutiques, record shops, and loads of little quirky cafes and pubs which I LOVE!

I will say a big downside of Bristol is the Union. It has the potential to be good, but it's just not in a convenient area. Don't let this put you off though, because there is enough going on in the city to make this fact negligible!

Well, that was a bit of an essay. Sorry I hope it helps!
    Thank you so much for this! This is everything I have hoped bristol would be, I've actually wanted to go to Bristol for a long time, based on about an hours long visit about a year and a half ago (I intend to revisit very soon though) But open recieving an offer I just got cold feet slightly and worried that I'd built it up to be something its not based on too little information! So I though I'd gather some opinions to see whether it actually is how I have hoped I'm going to revisit nottingham tomorrow as I've not looked round the uni properly, and in the event it doesnt blow me away I till revisit Bristol and and most probably firm it Thanks again for the info/reassurance!

Thanks to everyone esle who's replied to the thread too, I've read and taken mental note of it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    The problem with online sources is that they're either university propaganda or things like research rankings that tell me nothing about the course itself.

People on TSR seem to value uni reputation very much, and I'm afraid that so do employers. I know that, all in all, when an employer has to choose between a Bristol and Nottingham graduate, he will only consider the uni's reputation. I mean, whenever I see two universities compared around here, it usually comes down to "choose that one, it's more prestigious". I hardly know anything about the quality of the courses and teaching in either of the unis I'm thinking of going to, because people around here only focus on prestige and perhaps social life. Well, I guess I'll have to keep looking for something that will make my choice easier.
    Firstly, employers here in the UK do not discriminate between unis that much. Unless its Oxbridge, or maybe LSE and Imperial, the remaining 20 odd get lumped together as they all lack any degree of prestige amongst the general population. Dont underestimate how little people know and or care about universities in this country. No employer would discriminate between Notts and Bristol, trust me, they are seen as being in the same 'group' along with the likes of Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, York, Bath, Kings, St Andrews etc etc.

Also, you say that reputation is all you care about. Then in that case the only way of judging that is too see what others say, such as uni guides, foreign academic bodies, etc, and the only source is the internet. What I am saying is that if you do your own research carefully into the 2 universities, reading as much as possible from as many sources, then you would be surprised how good Nottingham is and how ill informed people on here are.

Indeed, if you use the search button on here and look at Bristol v Nottingham threads from 5 years ago, you would be surprised by the content.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=subbacultcha.;30466675]I'm going to revisit nottingham tomorrow as I've not looked round the uni properly, and in the event it doesnt blow me away I till revisit Bristol and and most probably firm it Thanks again for the info/reassurance!

QUOTE]

You're welcome! Obviously I'm sure there are people at Nottingham who will give amazing feedback for their uni too... so I think you're doing the right thing; go and visit both places and see which one really draws you in I NEARLY withdrew my application from Bristol because I had my heart set on Sheffield. But then I got an interview at Bristol, decided to pop along for laughs and absolutely fell in love with the place!

I agree with what's said above though, I wouldn't worry too much about "prestige". they're both respected universities and highly rated by employers!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subbacultcha.)
    Uni of Bristol or Uni of Nottingham? Where would you go? Taking everything into account, academic status, social life etc.

Any pros and cons of each anyone could give would also be fantastic
    Heyy, i too have got an offer for mechanical eng at nottingham. since i'm a international student i can't really visit the camus myself. But from what i've read in different forums and seen in the official rankings nottingham seems quite a better choice maybe. I have to choose between nottingham, warwick, Southampton and glasgow! i'm thinking of going for Warwick as firm and nottingham as assurance! what do you guys think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auger)
    I got the impression that the less prestigious uni you graduate from, the harder it is for you to get a good job or get into postgraduate research at better unis. By "limiting my options" I meant that it would give me fewer options than a Bristol degree. Again, as I'm not from the UK, I'm basing this pretty much just on the opinions of others that I happened to come across - but many people around here seem to be quite obsessed about uni reputation.
    As far as getting onto a postgrad goes, the university you did your undergrad at has no relevance.

As far as employment prospects go, employers will not discriminate between Nottingham and Bristol. No employer will chose a Bristol grad over a Nottingham grad based on university name.

Only a relatively small percentage of employers actually care about university name or standing and these are largely, though not entirely, confined to the same sectors (investment banking in particular but even in this sector both are comparable and equally targeted). Even for those who do care, we're talking about two universities who are of the same academic standing, both long established universities and members of the Russell Group.

An employer won't chose a Bristol grad over a Nottingham grad "just because he goes to Bristol and it's more prestigious". An employer won't see one as being more prestigious than the other. The only real difference between the two is that Bristol is slightly more popular with one small section of the population (upper middle class, privately eduated students). Even then, this probably wasn't the case eight to ten years ago when Nottingham was a particularly popular university. There's an ongoing cycle of popularity and employers don't care about this.

What they do care about is work experience, personal qualities, your performance at the interview stage. This will be used to differentiate between candidates.

"Prestige" is very abstract, what exactly is it?

Many people around here are obsessed with university reputation, but reputation and prestige is quite abstract. What's more, the people usually obsessed with reputation haven't even started university yet, or haven't graduated and entered the big world, and therefore aren't particularly well informed about graduate employment. In short, they are certainly not employers and most aren't even in graduate employment.

Don't mean to go on just want to make it clear that going to Nottingham will not disadvantage you.

As far as deciding which one to go for, you need to consider course content, you can also investigate the teaching quality at both institutions by looking at the QAA teaching ratings (although some of these are a little out of date). Also take on board the opinions of current and past students. Hopefully some will be objective.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.