Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey, I've been tenant in a property for 1.5 years and have 1.5 years to go (that I want to stay here) I'm a full time student. However, now I got this notice:

    "The above property is in the Council Tax valuation list with a band of B, and the charge for the period 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012 would therefore be 1227.19GBP.

    However, because the property is in Exempt Class N
    (ALL FULL-TIME STUDENT OCCUPIERS), no charge is currently payable.

    The above exemption may only apply for a limited period, and if this expires during the current financial year, a Council Tax bill will be issued.

    Further details regarding exemptions and exempt periods can be found in the Exempt Dwellings leaflet."


    what the hell? So quite bluntly, I don't understand anything they just said in there. Can I live in here without having to pay ridiculous charges before I move out in 1.5 years or not? And would I actually be the one to pay it or my landlord or agent?

    Thanks in advance.

    What do you expect them to be like in a legal notice?
    As long as everyone in the house is a student then no council tax is payable. If one tenant works it becomes payable by the tenants not the landlord.

    Exactly what Hypocriticaljap said. If you are all students in your household, there is no charge as long as you all remain students. If any of you aren't students or stop being students at any point, then there will be a charge, though none of the students in the household are expected to pay towards this - it is ONLY split between those who aren't students. As long as you are a student, you shouldn't have to pay any council tax. If the council ever tries to charge you then it means they aren't aware that you are a student, so you should contact them and they will probably ask to see proof of your student status (such as a letter from your Uni that says when your course started and when it is due to end).

    That particular letter means that the charge WOULD BE £1,227.19 for the year but as you are a student, there is nothing to pay. If you're at all worried about it, ring them up (there should be a number on there) and make sure they have all the details correct.
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.