Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to get a tattoo on my hand, I just wanted to know how much it will hurt and does anyone else have a tattoo on their hand?
    Also do you know any professional, clean, places in London ... ?

ReputationRep:
    Literally on your hand? I'm not sure about how much it'll hurt, I've had a wrist tattoo and it was totally fine, kinda uncomfortable but certainly not painful.
    If it's anything like that, you'll be fine

My foot hurt quite a bit though. Eep.

ReputationRep:
    Church Street's Sacred Art is good.

Are you sure you want it on your hand -that's pretty visible.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souldoubt)
    Literally on your hand? I'm not sure about how much it'll hurt, I've had a wrist tattoo and it was totally fine, kinda uncomfortable but certainly not painful.
    If it's anything like that, you'll be fine

My foot hurt quite a bit though. Eep.
    Yeah just a medium sized tattoo on the top of my right hand, I'm really scared! Where did you get yours done from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    Yeah just a medium sized tattoo on the top of my right hand, I'm really scared! Where did you get yours done from?
    I honestly think it'll be fine, is it your first?

I was absolutely terrified before I got my first tattoo, I was pleasantly surprised at how little it hurt. Obviously it's not a wonderful feeling but it's very bearable :)

What are you getting done exactly? Are you sure you want it on your hand? Remember how often it'll be exposed, as soon as you get a tattoo you realise how much it's actually on show - make sure you take that into account and you're absolutely sure

Oh I didn't have mine down anywhere well known, just a small parlour in my town. I'd recommend visiting before you actually get it done, to have a chat with the people there and to see how clean/professional it is for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine it would hurt that much, wrists don't. To be honest, I wouldn't get any tattoo you can't cover up easily, but hey, your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think it'll be fine, is it your first?

I was absolutely terrified before I got my first tattoo, I was pleasantly surprised at how little it hurt. Obviously it's not a wonderful feeling but it's very bearable :)

What are you getting done exactly? Are you sure you want it on your hand? Remember how often it'll be exposed, as soon as you get a tattoo you realise how much it's actually on show - make sure you take that into account and you're absolutely sure

Oh I didn't have mine down anywhere well known, just a small parlour in my town. I'd recommend visiting before you actually get it done, to have a chat with the people there and to see how clean/professional it is for yourself.
    Yeah it's my first one, there's the link of what I want done but I want it much smaller obviously, and yeah I'm sure I want it on my hand because it will look dumb if I get it anywhere else. I would get it on my wrist but I'm toooo scared because there's so many veins and stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Khanda1.svg

Have you thought about job prospects with a tattoo on your hand? I wouldn't recommend it as you can't cover it up.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's my first one, there's the link of what I want done but I want it much smaller obviously, and yeah I'm sure I want it on my hand because it will look dumb if I get it anywhere else. I would get it on my wrist but I'm toooo scared because there's so many veins and stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Khanda1.svg
    That's how I felt before I got my wrist done, but it was without a doubt my most painless tattoo, I'd definitely recommend getting it there instead.. but of course, it's your choice. I know it's a pain the ass when everyone's like "omgz are you SURE?" but pleeeeeease make sure you are, and that you won't regret it. If it's meaningful to you, then by all means do whatever you like. :)

Anyway, don't be too scared and try not to work yourself up about it, it won't be a particularly long procedure at all, and pain should be pretty minimal I think. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    That's how I felt before I got my wrist done, but it was without a doubt my most painless tattoo, I'd definitely recommend getting it there instead.. but of course, it's your choice. I know it's a pain the ass when everyone's like "omgz are you SURE?" but pleeeeeease make sure you are, and that you won't regret it. If it's meaningful to you, then by all means do whatever you like. :)

Anyway, don't be too scared and try not to work yourself up about it, it won't be a particularly long procedure at all, and pain should be pretty minimal I think. Good luck!
    Thanks so much for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to get a tattoo on my hand, I just wanted to know how much it will hurt and does anyone else have a tattoo on their hand?
    Also do you know any professional, clean, places in London ... ?
    why on your hand? They are called career blockers for a reason.

Anyway as to whether it will hurt depends on many factors

how close it is to the bone
    the colours used
    your pain threshold
    your tolerance of needles
    the skill of the tatooist
    the design of the image
    the location of the image

ReputationRep:
    It's quite possible that a good, reputable tattoo artist will refuse to tattoo your hand if you have no other tattoos.

There are plenty of other placements that tattoo could be without looking 'dumb' IMO. How long have you wanted it? Do you have a job at the moment that allows the tattoo? Hand & neck/facial tattoos can definitely influence an employers decision, much more so than any other placements which are easier to hide.

ReputationRep:
    a) if you have fully thought about it and decided you want a tattoo on your hand, then go for it
    b) i've heard that is reasonably painful as the skin is sensitive and thin on the top of your hand - i know a few people who have had their full hands tattooed, and said its not the worst place, but it isn't as easy as say wrist/finger.
    c) go to any well known parlour in london - you will be able to tell by the professionalism of the shop and how clean it looks. i would recommend frith street...expensive though

ReputationRep:
    You should check ahead before you go, a lot of decent tattoo parlours refuse to tattoo on hands, and for good reason!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by teddybomb)
    You should check ahead before you go, a lot of decent tattoo parlours refuse to tattoo on hands, and for good reason!
    Yeah, I would just like to re-iterate this.

Especially if you are young, and if it is your first, you might have to do a bit of convincing before any credible artist will tattoo anywhere you can't cover up with clothes.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea though, but do check.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.