Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Chopping wood > axe slipped > into his foot :rolleyes:

And yeah Trying to decide on a college at the moment!
    Cartmel, its the only logical choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGregg)
    You can't really with certain senses, it's nothing to do with memory, you can't recreate a smell etc..
    I disagree. I remember smells all the time even when the smell is not actually present in the air. The reason people don't remember pain is because it would put them off doing things potentially necessary for survival... for example, if a woman remembered the feeling of giving birth, she wouldn't want another one and therefore she would not reproduce, which means 1 or more less humans in the world. So forgetting pain is necessary sometimes. Also, really bad experiences just get blocked by the brain to try and forget about them... ever experience something really bad in your life which was EMOTIONALLY painful (not physically)? The brain will block a lot of that out. Well, its the same for physical pain.

I know I really hated the feeling of being injected in my inner elbow (not sure what that area of the arm is called lol) when I was little. That has ever since made my brain associate pain with the inner elbow and now I can't even look or touch there. I cannot remember for the life of me the feeling of the pain... all I know is that I didn't like it and my brain doesn't want to remember it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Cartmel, its the only logical choice
    Haha, my surname's Grisley so I was thinking a bit of Grizedale

ReputationRep:
    Getting a line inserted, the anesthetic didn't work, I could feel it going through my veins and into my chest, omfg. I was actually crying!

I imagine I'll be feeling the worst pain July 14th... :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Fall out a tree; that wasn't painful, it was catching a jagged branch on the way down which sliced me open like a carving knife. Have a 10 inch scare now

ReputationRep:
    Been very lucky and never had a serious injury so far *touchwood* - the worst pain I can think of / remember is when I was eating something and bit the side of my mouth - that hurt like a ***** for about 2 minutes, and then died down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    I disagree. I remember smells all the time even when the smell is not actually present in the air. The reason people don't remember pain is because it would put them off doing things potentially necessary for survival... for example, if a woman remembered the feeling of giving birth, she wouldn't want another one and therefore she would not reproduce, which means 1 or more less humans in the world. So forgetting pain is necessary sometimes. Also, really bad experiences just get blocked by the brain to try and forget about them... ever experience something really bad in your life which was EMOTIONALLY painful (not physically)? The brain will block a lot of that out. Well, its the same for physical pain.
    You can recreate a smell in your head without smelling it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Getting a line inserted, the anesthetic didn't work, I could feel it going through my veins and into my chest, omfg. I was actually crying!

I imagine I'll be feeling the worst pain July 14th... :eek3:
    lol honestly itisn't that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thru sun and rain)
    lol honestly itisn't that bad
    Hah, that's made me smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Hah, that's made me smile
    Yougo in prepared and it won't hurt too bad. I was very unprepared and had an elephant.

ReputationRep:
    when my mum shut the door subsequently trapping my thumb in the gap and fracturing it...

clumsy lady is she

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    It wasn't me but, recently, a friend of mine had 'cluster headaches'.

On the face of it, it sounds quite harmless.

But he wasn't the sort that'd normally complain and his girlfriend was telling me how he used to wake up screaming in pain so I decided to look further into it.

Apparently it's the worst physical pain humans can experience. He went through 4 weeks of 3 daily attacks and each attack is considered worse than giving birth.
    I just researched it, and holy hell...

'The pain of cluster headaches is markedly greater than in other headache conditions, including severe migraines; experts have suggested that it may be the most painful condition known to medical science.'

I count my lucky stars that I'm not a sufferer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGregg)
    You can recreate a smell in your head without smelling it?
    Yes. Sometimes I remember the smell of my nans roast dinners, or the smell of something I am craving, or the smell of a perfume, or the smell of something really awful I have smelt etc.

ReputationRep:
    My Girlfriend just dumped me....

Oh you meant Physical pain?

Her braces got stuck on my Scrotum.

ReputationRep:
    Listening to my little sister blaring Justin Bieber/Rebecca Black from her room. My ears are still bleeding =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    My Girlfriend just dumped me....

Oh you meant Physical pain?

Her braces got stuck on my Scrotum.
    rofl.

ReputationRep:
    I am greatly sympathetic... blast some charlie sheen gotta love "winning"

ReputationRep:
    Falling into a pond (up to my waist) that was covered in snow, so my trousers ended up freezing onto my skin.

The painful bit was getting/defrosting them off.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've broken nearly every bone in my body (except my neck, spine, skull and left arm, haha,) had major spinal surgery and compartment syndrome but my absolute worst pain ever was a stomach ulcer. I was literally rolling around in the hospital bed screaming, asking them to sedate me. Weird

ReputationRep:
    Major second degree burns

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.