Worst pain you've experienced? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Testicular torsion.

ReputationRep:
    Breaking my ankle. My primary concern at the time was what make up I'd need to cover the graze on my face!

ReputationRep:
    acute pancreatitis, not only are you digesting your own pancreas, but as it swells up it pushes your diaphragm up, every time you breathe in, you are squeezing down on a very inflamed organ!

smarts a little

ReputationRep:
    I've been lucky in this department so far (with a bit of touch wood in there). I think I have a pick of four (which are all completely minor things) - I damaged a ligament in my right big toe at one point, took a hockey ball to the inside of my left foot, had toothache/infection-type things a couple of times and I sometimes get a sharp pain in different spots between my ribs. I really can't think of much else, aside from general bumps and bruises. I have a pathetic list, but I suppose I hope it stays that way.

ReputationRep:
    Supporting Liverpool.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Possibly during the time when the problems with my right knee was at its worst. It would twinge a bit every time I walked, but one weekend it suddenly went ballistic and resulted in me being a heap on the ground several times in one weekend. Just random attacks of extremely sharp pain for a fraction of a second without warning while walking.

Either that or the time when I properly hit my funny bone. We're talking the kind of force you might use if you were in a fight for your life and were trying to elbow someone absolutely as hard as you possibly can - right through my funny bone.
    I suspect that a lot of people here have had worse stories than this (I've never broken a bone, for example)

ReputationRep:
    Dislocating my knee last year. Awful. I didn't receive any pain relief apart from a tiny cylinder of gas and air(which provided entertainment more so than pain relief).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robtastic)
    Supporting Liverpool.
    Lol Liverpool?

Try Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    Heartbreak

ReputationRep:
    Not realising I had stepped on a wasp's nest and being stung by around 10 wasps all at the same time. An absolutely horrific experience. I kept feeling them on my body all night after that because I was so terrified. I had so many sores and stings on me for ages afterwards.

It's scary to think about what would have happened to me if I had been allergic to wasp stings :/

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully, I've been fairly lucky so far in the department of pain. But whilst reading this, I remembered quite a painful and humiliating experience.
    A few months ago, I was playing netball in the sports hall with some classmates. There was a puddle of water on the floor on the edge of the court, so the caretaker was called in to mop it up.

Ha, he didn't do a very good job, because next thing I knew, wahey, I'd fallen flat on my butt because the floor was still damp, no safety or warning signs, right on that sort of bony part at the end of your spine. As pathetic as it sounds, wow it did hurt

ReputationRep:
    Tooth abscess. Felt slight pain one night, so went to the dentist the next morning. My dentist thought it was just a hole causing the pain, so he put in a filling.

Next day - PAIN. The filling had forced the infection further up my gum and was pressing into the nerves. Absolute sheer agony, felt like red hot electric shocks were running through my gums.

Also had second degree sunburn as well. Wasn't fun!

ReputationRep:
    Putting money in the vending machine and the chocolate bar gets stuck. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mczakk)
    acute pancreatitis, not only are you digesting your own pancreas, but as it swells up it pushes your diaphragm up, every time you breathe in, you are squeezing down on a very inflamed organ!

smarts a little
    this

ReputationRep:
    Malaria

ReputationRep:
    Uh, I tripped over one time when I was a young lad and landed on the tips of my fingers, in a failed attempt at breaking the fall with my hands. Due to the impact of the fall, they bent back quite far at the joints, 'spraining' them, but not breaking any bones or anything. I couldn't move my hands properly for weeks, and every time I did I'd be in inexplicably excruciating pain over it.

ReputationRep:
    I've broken my collar bone, had my appendix out, almost had my eye socket fractured by a bouncer blah blah blah...

Tonsillitis was by far the worst pain, was fine when I was young but at 20 it is unreal how painful it gets. Spends days without sleep.

Always have some co-codamol around these days for that ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpye11)
    I've broken my collar bone, had my appendix out, almost had my eye socket fractured by a bouncer blah blah blah...

Tonsillitis was by far the worst pain, was fine when I was young but at 20 it is unreal how painful it gets. Spends days without sleep.

Always have some co-codamol around these days for that ****.
    Yah cocodamol helps a treat, the only thing that dulls down the pain atm :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I had this abscess thing in my throath. My throat kept swelling (it was so swollen that I was only able to swallow food as small as my pinky finger) and I couldn't even speak properly. Had really high fever and till the end I wasn't even able to open my mouth (jaws were kind of locked) to even put a fork inside my mouth. I kept going over and over again to see different doctors and they all just said "this is just flu, go home and buy some painkillers".

Then later I got so annoyed, I wasn't able to stay home because I had been too much away from school. I went to every class even though I had very high fever and I was even able to feel that my inflammation levels were really high. And then at one point I wasn't even able to eat almost anything because I wasn't able to open my mouth. I started to study this thing myself and went back to those doctors asking (more like demanding) that they send me to someone who knows more about that stuff and, finally, I got some treatment.

But the treatment was horrible. The doctor just tried to cut the abscess that was in my throat open with a knife. I just had to keep my mouth open even though it hurt like hell. I just remember how that blood was pouring down my chin to this cup. And they tried this like 4 times (every morning) and it didn't work at all. Then they suggested after all that torture that we could remove it all in general anaesthesia. And they also removed my tonsils at the same time. Probably the worst days of my life. But after that surgery I can't remember much because I was just full of drugs, just sleeping or watching a wall all the time I remember when I was sitting on the edge of my bed, watching the window in a very stoned way. All the nurses were running around me asking stuff like "do you hear me" etc. and being like "she's so pale, she's probably fainting".

(Original post by qasidb)
    I had an intense muscle cramp in my leg.
    And yeah, usually they go away after a few seconds or so but this was there for a few minutes.
    And it wasn't just a normal cramp.
    It was an amazingly painful one.
    It was as if someone just ripped out my leg muscle or as if they just got a hold of it and twisted it multiple times.
    I tried to move my leg about so that the cramp would go away but it didn't make a difference.
    Eventually I kept my leg still and the pain gradually died away.
    I then attempted to slowly get up but I couldn't actually stand on that leg, so I had to limp.
    But that limp was only for a few minutes - I could walk after that, as if all that pain never happened.

What a rip off.
    That happened to me, horrible! It lasted several minutes and I kept thinking that I would probably lose that leg because it hurt so much :lol: Didn't even occur to me that it was just a cramp, I started to think about everything horrible in that panic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2012
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.