Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine, career, and becoming a PR watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I've some queries which i've asked british council about, but they are taking some time

    Background: i'm a singaporean likely studying medicine in london! and am looking at the possibility of settling in UK

    1. After i graduate from the MBBS course, can i stay on in UK, practise as a doctor, and become a permanent resident there, or will i be required to leave UK(like Australia is doing)?

    2. Are the policies poised to be international student friendly, in terms of job prospects, accommodation, healthcare (in view of the political scene there)?

    3. As a Permanent Resident, in what areas of living (housing/children's education/healthcare/subsidies/busaries) will I be disadvantaged, as compared to a UK citizen?

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    Currently, the British Govt are getting xenophobic about non-EU people migrating to UK. If you have been reading the news lately, you will understand what I mean. But generally, after your Foundation years, your application will be at the bottom of the pile for further training jobs - go the the website: http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/ and get some info on whether you will be eligible to apply to stay after your Foundation years. I think you may get the job if no one from UK or EU applies. That means unpopular specialties or in rural small towns.

    But all these rules are man-made. Things may change after your 5 years of studying and 2 years of Foundation. So really, too early to have definite plans.

    As for question 3, UK is not like Singapore... you don't lose out on anything by being just PR. Unless, of course, you commit such a serious crime they withdraw your PR! I have friends on PR, working/living there and enjoying the usual privileges such as free bus rides for senior citizens. Eligibility for education, housing or child benefits are the same for citizens or PRs. The question is whether a person is considered "Resident" to enjoy all these, not citizenship.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.