Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How difficult is it to get on these programmes to train new teachers?

I am applying for a Primary place.

Does anyone know how many applicants for places they have generally? Or what type of people they recruit?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is incredibly competitive, I have applied 2 years running and have failed to get an interview even though I have a really good school supporting me and quite a lot of experience. I am applying for secondary though and my subject isnt in demand. I think there are generally more primary places available but it is still incredibly hard to get on to. You will need to have lots of school experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Katie. I have a lot of experience in schools, a year volunteering and working here and there, mainly Primary. But I still don't think it will be enough. I think the sheer number of applicants, will preclude anyone but the best graduates with outstanding degree results etc :cool:

I couldn't get on the PGCE Primary I applied for and I really wanted to be a primary teacher. As far as I am aware, there are no other routes into Primary teaching so I guess I won't be going into teaching after all - which is a bit of a shame as I spent a year preparing for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DjGrizzlyPaws)
    Thanks Katie. I have a lot of experience in schools, a year volunteering and working here and there, mainly Primary. But I still don't think it will be enough. I think the sheer number of applicants, will preclude anyone but the best graduates with outstanding degree results etc :cool:

I couldn't get on the PGCE Primary I applied for and I really wanted to be a primary teacher. As far as I am aware, there are no other routes into Primary teaching so I guess I won't be going into teaching after all - which is a bit of a shame as I spent a year preparing for it!
    You could try and do a year or so as a TA and apply again afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    yes I would wait a year, try and gain some paid experience in school (maternity contracts are a good way in!) and then apply to both this November

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.